Highclere - 2mm Finescale

Re: Highclere - 2mm Finescale

Postby kandc_au » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:51 pm

-missy- wrote:Hi :D

I wont waffle on and try to explain how it all works but if anyone really wants to know then I will...

Missy :D

Missy,
If the workings is so that it bounces......please waffle :thup

Khris
A DOWNUNDER RAILWAY MODELLER
My Layout thread viewtopic.php?f=9&t=49992
My Workbench viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51540
All hints, tips and suggestions for this project will be greatfully received.
kandc_au

Postby buffalo » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:57 pm

Looks good and very compact :thup
-missy- wrote:I wont waffle on and try to explain how it all works but if anyone really wants to know then I will...

Please do. Don't leave us in suspence...

Nick
buffalo

Postby The Stationmaster » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:42 pm

kandc_au wrote:
-missy- wrote:Hi :D

I wont waffle on and try to explain how it all works but if anyone really wants to know then I will...

Missy,
If the workings is so that it bounces......please waffle :thup

Khris

With a very solid steel down rod on the prototype I sincerely hope that it does not 'bounce' when returned to danger (although it might realistically sometimes be a bit less than playful coming off :) ).
Mike,
The Stationmaster
The Stationmaster

Postby Southernboy » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:17 pm

I'm definitely interested in how it works - all such material is bookmarked for future reference :)

With thanks in advance,

Mark
Southernboy

Postby -missy- » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:51 pm

Hello again :D

I hope this helps...

build-by-numbers.jpg
build-by-numbers.jpg (44.9 KiB) Viewed 2310 times

I started off by making all the parts of the return mechanism as you can see. The spring (4) was wound on a short bit of studded rod (as shown in a previous picture) and was made to be the same length of tube (1), the small disk (5) was also turned on the lathe, it was made about 1mm thick and was a sliding fit inside the tube (1) with a hole in the middle to fit the small tube (6). A small hole was hand drilled off center for the wire that is connected the the signal arm (3). The short tube (6) is a sliding fit over the signal post (2) and part (7) is a sliding fit inside part (1).
To start with I soldered part (5) half way down part (6). This is the part which one end of the spring (4) rests against. The spring (4) was slid into tube (1) with parts (3) and (2) inside. The soldered parts (5) and (6) were then added over part (2) and pushed against the spring (4) inside tube (1), making sure that the operating wire (3) was passed through the small off center hole. When everything was in place part (7) was then pushed up into tube (1) until it was flush with the base of the tube (I was lucky and didnt have to solder it in place but was planning to). When the hole mechanism is together I then made sure the signal arm was horizontal then soldered the wire (3) to part (6) being careful not to melt the join between (5) and (6).
Once all this is done if you push against either (5) or (6) the arm will change to all clear and when you release it the arm then returns to normal (danger in my case).

And there you go! Not quite upto Airfix standards but I hope it makes some sense!

-missy-

Postby buffalo » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:43 pm

A very neat mechanism! Thanks for posting the explanation.

What do you use to drive the signal? (Apologies if you've mentioned this earlier)

Nick
buffalo

Postby Wren » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:44 pm

Hi Missy,

It was good to catch up with youat Bedford yesterday, and congratulations again on your award.

A minor point, but I know you are a stickler for detail, the base and the spike on the finial should be white only the ball being red. Unfortunately this is not easy to pick up from photos as they are often taken against the sky.

Cheers,

Wren
Wren
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Steamingherd » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:45 pm

-missy- wrote:Thank you Peter and Jerry :D

Steamingherd wrote:Re the lights, what diameter grain of wheat bulb did you use. the ones on ebay seem to be 3mm?

Peter (Marks Quay)

They are grain of RICE bulbs! I got some like these..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-Micro-Mini-Grain-of-Rice-Lamps1-5Volt15ma-1-4-x-3-6m_W0QQitemZ390099720915QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Dolls_House_Miniatures?hash=item5ad3c15ad3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Thanks Missy i've placed an order for some!

Peter (Marks Quay)
Steamingherd
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Steamingherd » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:52 pm

-missy- wrote:Hello again :D

I hope this helps...

build-by-numbers.jpg

I started off by making all the parts of the return mechanism as you can see. The spring (4) was wound on a short bit of studded rod (as shown in a previous picture) and was made to be the same length of tube (1), the small disk (5) was also turned on the lathe, it was made about 1mm thick and was a sliding fit inside the tube (1) with a hole in the middle to fit the small tube (6). A small hole was hand drilled off center for the wire that is connected the the signal arm (3). The short tube (6) is a sliding fit over the signal post (2) and part (7) is a sliding fit inside part (1).
To start with I soldered part (5) half way down part (6). This is the part which one end of the spring (4) rests against. The spring (4) was slid into tube (1) with parts (3) and (2) inside. The soldered parts (5) and (6) were then added over part (2) and pushed against the spring (4) inside tube (1), making sure that the operating wire (3) was passed through the small off center hole. When everything was in place part (7) was then pushed up into tube (1) until it was flush with the base of the tube (I was lucky and didnt have to solder it in place but was planning to). When the hole mechanism is together I then made sure the signal arm was horizontal then soldered the wire (3) to part (6) being careful not to melt the join between (5) and (6).
Once all this is done if you push against either (5) or (6) the arm will change to all clear and when you release it the arm then returns to normal (danger in my case).

And there you go! Not quite upto Airfix standards but I hope it makes some sense!

Missy

I'm sure Mick Simpson would appreciate this as a short article for the 2mm Assoc. magazine. I know many members who would be interested that don't do the interweb thing!

Peter (Marks Quay)
Steamingherd
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Barcaneatpete » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:00 pm

Missy - Congratulations on the Cup - When you place it on the mantlepiece, be sure to leave a space adjacent as me thinks that signal is going to win one next :wink:

Inspirational work as always - My MSE signal kits were going to be static...but you have just raised the bar again for us to aspire too :D
Last edited by Barcaneatpete on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
2mmFS Coombe Junction - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33126"
2mmFS Coombe Junction - http://www.freewebs.com/barcaneatpete
2mmFS Kyle in a boxfile - viewtopic.php?
2mmFS OMWB neatpete - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=50223
4mmBR Blue IKEA shelf - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42317"
Barcaneatpete

Postby The Stationmaster » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:57 pm

Wren wrote:Hi Missy,

It was good to catch up with youat Bedford yesterday, and congratulations again on your award.

A minor point, but I know you are a stickler for detail, the base and the spike on the finial should be white only the ball being red. Unfortunately this is not easy to pick up from photos as they are often taken against the sky.
Cheers,
Wren

On WR tubular steel signals with the posts painted aluminium the 'spike' at the top of the finial and the 'stem' between the flange at the bottom of the casting and the ball itself were/are painted aluminium too.
Mike,
The Stationmaster
The Stationmaster

Postby -missy- » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:29 pm

The Stationmaster wrote:On WR tubular steel signals with the posts painted aluminium the 'spike' at the top of the finial and the 'stem' between the flange at the bottom of the casting and the ball itself were/are painted aluminium too.

Me again :D

Yes Mike, you are correct. I will redo the top bit when I get round to it. Just for proof...

signal-closeup.jpg
signal-closeup.jpg (59.45 KiB) Viewed 1716 times

Taken earlier this year at the West Somerset Railway.

Anyway here is a piccie of what I am working on at the moment...

lubricator.jpg
lubricator.jpg (69.99 KiB) Viewed 1710 times

-missy-

Postby Barcaneatpete » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:35 pm

hmmm...interesting...any more clues Missy?
2mmFS Coombe Junction - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33126"
2mmFS Coombe Junction - http://www.freewebs.com/barcaneatpete
2mmFS Kyle in a boxfile - viewtopic.php?
2mmFS OMWB neatpete - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=50223
4mmBR Blue IKEA shelf - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42317"
Barcaneatpete

Postby eldavo » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:18 am

Looks like some replacement loco valvegear. Awful small as ever. :) Love the signal. Real miniature engineering.

Cheers
Dave
Not so much a layout, more of an experiment. Cramdin Yard: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17801
eldavo

Previous

Return to Layouts