Highclere - 2mm Finescale

Highclere - 2mm Finescale

Postby -missy- » Wed May 28, 2008 5:50 pm

Hi.

I am building a 2mm finescale version of Highclere from the now non-existant Didcot, Newbury, and Southampton Railway. The layout has been, lets say 'in the planning stage' for sometime until last year when recovering from an operation I managed to build all the track for it using a templot track plan. As I have this week off from work I have managed to get a bit of enthusiasm back (thanks to Railex) and made a start on shaping the styrene ready for the wood edging. So far, the whole layout in built from high density styrene foam, cut with a hot wire cutter and glued together with a low melt glue gun and so far there has been no problems.

Anyway the piccie attached is progress on board 1 (of 2) up until this afternoon. Not exactly the most exciting of layouts but hopefully I can learn alot about building them!

Missy :)
Attachments
highclere-28-05-08.jpg
highclere-28-05-08.jpg (62.86 KiB) Viewed 26190 times
Last edited by -missy- on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-missy-

Re: Highclere

Postby bmthtrains » Wed May 28, 2008 5:58 pm

Welcome!

I like the look of that - the landforms look very natural and realistic. Nice to see some space and gentle changes - will be a very impressive scene when its done. Keep us posted!

David
My Modelling Website: www.n-gauge.org
bmthtrains

Postby chessieliner » Wed May 28, 2008 6:57 pm

That looks good and captures the memories I have of walking around the station site many yeras ago..

What period are you modelling as I have always thought this would be a good line to model in the war years?
wether to weather?
just go for it!!!!!!!!..... realism rules.....
chessieliner

Postby MartinWales » Wed May 28, 2008 7:06 pm

I like this and I will be looking forward to regular updates! :thup
Martin 'Back in an hour' Jones
C.S.I. Wales
WACKO International

The summer sun is fading
As the year grows old
And darker days
Are drawing near
MartinWales

Location: Llanberis, Gwynedd, North Wales Snowdon that way<-Cambrian that way->

Postby jameshilton » Wed May 28, 2008 7:10 pm

Having just been reading up on the DN&S myself for a 'what if' model of my own I recognise the bridge and landscape - so good start!
I've got the book and the photo supplement - I guess you'll have them, but if not happy to scan in a few images if it'd help.
jameshilton

Postby dr5euss » Wed May 28, 2008 7:46 pm

Great start :D

Is it easier doing the slopes with lots of smaller verticals, than stacking two layers horizontally and carving them?
George
dr5euss

Postby -missy- » Wed May 28, 2008 10:08 pm

chessieliner wrote:That looks good and captures the memories I have of walking around the station site many yeras ago..

What period are you modelling as I have always thought this would be a good line to model in the war years?

Hi.

Ooooh, you could be a useful person then :wink: You cant beat someone who has actually been there to check on how things are looking on a model. I have been to Highclere a few times now over the past couple of years (as I dont live that far away) and all the buildings are still there which has helped an awful lot, fortunately it wasnt swallowed up by the A34. It has really helped in trying to get the terrain right as I can remember what it actually looked like when I was there.

I am thinking of around the 1940's or 1950's. I love the grimyness of it all around that time but then I also love the early diesels so I guess its a case of stretching the truth a little?

M :)
-missy-

Postby -missy- » Wed May 28, 2008 10:18 pm

dr5euss wrote:Great start :D

Is it easier doing the slopes with lots of smaller verticals, than stacking two layers horizontally and carving them?

DrSeuss.

Thank you. As the hot wire cutter I used (as supplied by EXPO) only has a width of 60mm I was limited by that and as it uses a thin wire stretched inbetween I couldnt carve into a block of styrene, so I used 50mm thick sheets and cut the profile with the cutter. I didnt really want to do too much carving and sanding because I knew it would make a real mess so by doing it this way I only have to smooth off the styrene lightly at the end, No doubt doing it upright meant more work though.

One tip though if anyone is using one of these hot wire cutters from EXPO is to forget using the 4.5v battery and connect it to a normal DC controller. You can adjust the voltage until it cuts well and you dont have to worry about the battery ever going flat.

M :)
-missy-

Postby Phil » Thu May 29, 2008 7:18 am

Very interesting project Missy - please keep posting. I need to experiment with polystyrene and hot wire cutters. I take it yours is not just discarded packaging - what is the product you are using please ?

Also like the idea of "what if" extending diesels onto the route. Presume it will be Hymeks / Brush Type 4s, or something a little less obvious ?
Modelling EM scale Black Country railways 1960-1985

Question - what does a "modern image modeller" model ?
Phil

Postby jameshilton » Thu May 29, 2008 8:59 am

Phil wrote:Very interesting project Missy - please keep posting. I need to experiment with polystyrene and hot wire cutters. I take it yours is not just discarded packaging - what is the product you are using please ?

Also like the idea of "what if" extending diesels onto the route. Presume it will be Hymeks / Brush Type 4s, or something a little less obvious ?

On page 16 of the 'Didcot Newbury and Southampton Railway Supplement' (by Robertson and Simmonds) there is a picture of a Type 3 (Class 33) in full green no yellow ends on an Eastleigh bound freight at Newbury East junction - no year given. It states the line was never fully dieselized but towards it's end it was a mix of late steam and early diesel.
jameshilton

Postby Karhedron » Thu May 29, 2008 10:50 am

I could be wrong but I think that Hampshire DEMUs could be seen on the southern end of the line at times. No idea if they ran as far north as Highclere though. Again, room for some artistic license. ;)
My train of thought has been delayed by leaves on the line. :(
Karhedron

Postby Bangor Lad » Thu May 29, 2008 11:25 am

Hi missy,
This looks very interesting and I look forward to see it developing.
BL
(aka Dave)
All the way from Wales

My workbench thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22075
Bangor Lad

Postby -missy- » Thu May 29, 2008 1:03 pm

Hi.

Thanks for the comments :D . I will try to keep this updated as work progresses.

cutting-styrene.jpg
cutting-styrene.jpg (43.48 KiB) Viewed 25279 times

Regarding the foam, the above is a piccie of my essential tools for cutting and shaping the stuff...
1. Hot wire cutter (from EXPO tools) powered by a cheapie Bachmann controller.
2. Knife / Scalpel for fine trimming
3. Surform (like a really course file) I picked up from my local DIY store, ideal for rough shaping.
4. Course sandpaper for finishing (I use P60?)
5. Low temperature melting glue gun. Ideal for gluing the stuff together, if like me you havent got the paitence to wait for glue to dry!
6. Finally a decent vacuum cleaner, kinda essential for trying to keep the place foam bit free!

highclere-plan.jpg
highclere-plan.jpg (25.99 KiB) Viewed 25237 times

The above piccie is a simple plan of the station. This has been converted into a Templot plan for track building, and scaled to the correct size and printed out too. It has been essential for me to get things to scale and in the right place.

M :D
-missy-

Postby -missy- » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:03 am

Hi.

Finally after a bit of research into how one corner of the layout should look I have finished all the messy foam carving (for now) and have taken a couple of piccies to show the progress so far...

1-6-8-1.jpg
1-6-8-1.jpg (22.68 KiB) Viewed 24834 times

While I wait for the oppertunity to cut all the wood for the frame that will fit around the outside of the boards I am now thinking about moving onto covering the foam with a bit of sculpt-a-mould and then hopefully I can get a better feel on how the scenery looks and compares to the real thing.

1-6-8-3.jpg
1-6-8-3.jpg (28.6 KiB) Viewed 24794 times

I am really enjoying building this. I admit its a real steep learning curve for me but its thanks to web sites like this where I have picked up so many great hints and tips that I will be trying out in the future. Going to shows like Railex give me so much encouragement to have a go and hopefully I will be able to take Highclere to a show or two sometime.

M :D
-missy-

Postby Pete-Harvey » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:53 am

Well 'M' it really looks good its coming a long nicely.

Pete
What is truth, What is Reality, Why is the Present Now the Past ???

My Work Bench
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5956

My Layout
viewtopic.php?t=6459
If you have not been following this thread you will find it of more use if read from the start. :-)

Image Image

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Pete-Harvey

Postby kandc_au » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:22 am

Looking Very nice. As has already been said
the ground profile is looking realistic and should form a great foundation.

Khris
A DOWNUNDER RAILWAY MODELLER
My Layout thread viewtopic.php?f=9&t=49992
My Workbench viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51540
All hints, tips and suggestions for this project will be greatfully received.
kandc_au

Postby The Moose » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:33 am

Hey Folks!

Lovely job so far!! Where can I get some of that foam :drool ?

Keep us posted!
Young Man!
The Moose

Postby trains12 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:46 pm

The Moose wrote:Hey Folks!

Lovely job so far!! Where can I get some of that foam :drool ?

Keep us posted!

Hi All
You can obtain standard isulation foam from a good builder suppliers in sheets 1in. 2in., or 3in. thick by 18in. by 4ft long for about ??1.50 to ??2.25 a sheet around here in North Wales To see what it is like see Great Tunsley Dale in the layouts site.

Missey thanks for your comments on the building on GTD your layout is very good indeed. 2mm for me now is bit to small. bad enough with glasses on in 4mm

Cheers
:thup Peter
Cheers Peter
trains12

Postby Welly » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:34 pm

Looking great already! :thup I admire the fact that you are handbuilding 2mm track as well. I believe your choice of prototype is a very good one as I'm rather fascinated by the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton myself.

Is the layout 8ft by 2ft? I can only guess from the photographs!
Now to switch off my PC and do some armchair modelling instead!
Welly

Postby -missy- » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:54 pm

Hi.

Thanks for the comments again :D

To answer a couple of questions the foam sheet I used for the layout was from a company called Minster ( http://www.minster-ins.co.uk/index.html ). When I got it a couple of years ago it came in 8ft by 2ft sheets from what I remember. The 2 thicknesses I purchased were 25mm and 50mm thick but I know they do a 75mm thick sheet. I paid about ??10 for a 50mm thick sheet.
The scenic part of the layout will be 2ft wide by 8ft long, even in 2mm scale I have had to move the signal box a bit to fit on the boards! I wanted as much room as possible to get a bit of scenery into it as I really wanted to get the feel of a railway in a landscape. The fiddle yards are to come sometime in the future, I still need to decide what to do with them!

Anyway. progress today has been mostly experiments. The results are as follows...

Grass....
static-grass.jpg
static-grass.jpg (38.95 KiB) Viewed 24276 times

The above photo was basically the result of an article I saw on here so I had to give it a go. I have made my own static grass generator thingy from a fly swat from http://www.009.cd2.com/flyswat.htm . I think the colour of the grass needs some work but at least I have figured out how to do it!

Bricks....
brick-tester.jpg
brick-tester.jpg (52.98 KiB) Viewed 24216 times

This is something I am a bit proud of. I have a friend who has access to a laser cutter so once we had figured out how to do the artwork using autocad and corel draw we now are able to laser cut and etch paper, card, and wood. I wanted a certian brick pattern for my buildings on Highclere so I created the pattern in corel draw and sent my friend the file. The picture above is a small sample of what the laser cutter produced from the artwork. The bit on the left hand side has been simply coloured using coloured pencils. It seems to work so now I can sort out the viaduct for starters!

Missy :D
-missy-

Postby jongwinnett » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:01 pm

Now that is cool :thup
jongwinnett

Postby -missy- » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:01 pm

Hi.

I just wanted to post a piccie of the slow progress on Highclere. Its really difficult to get anything done on it during the week what with work and stuff so most of the modelling is squeezed into weekends. It can be really frustrating sometimes!
08-06-08.jpg
08-06-08.jpg (39.07 KiB) Viewed 23820 times

Anyway...
As you can see I have managed a bit. the road done in clay has come out alright after a bit of fiddling to try and get rid of cracks. I have now covered the bridge with some of the laser engraved brick card as I mentioned above and have started to colour it in with some suitable pencils (just like being back at playschool!) Finally the large job of covering all the scenery with sculpt-a-mould has been started. Its great stuff made from a plaster / paper-mache mix and drys rock hard, I love the stuff! Covering the boards with it is not really very exciting work but its something to do while eastenders is on tv!

Missy :D
-missy-

Postby Jules » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:14 pm

That's looking really good
There is a train at Version City
Waiting for the rhythm mail

layout : http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... ht=snoring
Jules

Postby PaulRhB » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:10 pm

Looking good, couple of questions, what width is it? Also can you remember which foam or which range it was from minster? as they have so many to choose from.
Keep posting Paul
PaulRhB

Postby 7F 2-8-0 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:47 pm

This is looking good, I have often said that I would model the DN&SR if I weren't in to the S&D, and the DN&SR has to be the GWR equivelant of the S&D? a greay place to see T9s and Collett goods. I will be following this with interest.

Shaun
"according to the 9 O'clock news It's getting dark outside"..."what! ideal conditions for night time"

My Avatar -41Sqn - Somewhere over Iraq

my photopic site, still building http://shaun-waite.fotopic.net/
7F 2-8-0

Next

Return to Layouts