Noquay - Lighting rig

Noquay - Lighting rig

Postby Kenton » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:54 pm

Oh Long Thinney is hung up (or should that be out to dry) and an excursion into the dust bowl that is our loft revealed a pile of track and old wagons. Combined with a few bits lying around in the garage and an eye on assorted scraps of wood .... and voila ...

Yes you purists out there it is a garish combination of Code 100 track :shock:

No that lump of foam will not be delicately weathered to become a SB :shock:

And that station is just TOO big :roll:

But yes that is a full sized inglenook :P

Room for a 2 car DMU service (though why or where to :? who knows )

Yes it easily fits in with The Challenge rules at 720 sq.in. Image
Plenty of spare to add a cassette at top right or even one off the station.

I'm still formulating the 5+3+3 and will probably swap from as in the photo to more like the plan. But I've no intention of buying any more track ... or anything ... so I suppose this will have to be set somewhere in Yorkshire :lol:

I am also thinking of dropping that top track and point which was intended as a hidden siding but I think hiding it may be just too messy.

Comment, ideas, howls of laughter appreciated .............

............ or has today's sunshine got to me ...............
Last edited by Kenton on Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenton

Postby steve1 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:11 pm

Loads of operating potential there, assuming you add a fiddleyard of some sort or another in that top corner at least, I would say.

steve
Steve Grantham

Hull MRS

You can buy a crown, it doesn't make you king/Beware the trinkets that we bring.
steve1

Location: Stoking the starmaker machinery behind the popular song

Postby mines a pint » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:11 pm

SOrry Long Thinney did not work out! - it was a cool idea! :)
Nice operating potential-
the pic shows a siding behind the present station- I'd try iron out that s bend it does not look quite right- especially as it comes off the straight leg of the turnout- what about a smaller station building and a bay platform :?: :wink:

Having the inglenook will give good operation potential
mines a pint

Postby Will_Ayerst » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:25 pm

Was there a particular reason Long Thinney was canned?
Will_Ayerst

Postby mines a pint » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:34 pm

Was there a particular reason Long Thinney was canned?

I really liked the layout too- and so we baited Kenton into explaining, the sorry story is in the thread below so we can save him the trouble of explaining again :wink:
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3713
mines a pint

Postby Kenton » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:34 am

mines a pint wrote:SOrry Long Thinney did not work out! - it was a cool idea! :)
Nice operating potential-
the pic shows a siding behind the present station- I'd try iron out that s bend it does not look quite right- especially as it comes off the straight leg of the turnout- what about a smaller station building and a bay platform :?: :wink:

Having the inglenook will give good operation potential

Thanks for the support - not so much canned as suspended.

Thought this might stand a vague chance if I can get motivated - but as you see I've put it here rather than The Layout Challenge Forum ATM.

After a night and a glass of malt (or two) I've been trying to put some scenic ideas together. I want to add some 3 dimensionality to this small space and want to make it as "open space" as possible in the small amount of remaining open board.

So.
1. That back hidden siding goes - there just isn't any point for it being there - without the cassette to the right it cannot be accessed and with the cassette it is redundant. 1 less point to motorise. :)

2. I'm taking a bit of inspiration from Neil's great Shell Island in terms of overall style (though nowhere near that superb standard) so I am looking at raising the track level to make room for a culvert/stream/pond

3. raising the track also gives the option of some raised landscaping behind the station - which will be more of a Wills Halt affair than the town monstrosity seen in the photos.

4. with so many 5 plank coal/coke I suppose the area to the right has to become a coal pit / distribution of sorts - not quite what I want and the PO wagons are not going to fit in with the DMU era :( Another rumage in the attic is called for.

.... I suppose I could always bring out the kettles :) :) and the ubiquitous GWR push-pull but I rather like the idea of the Sentinel being in operation here - at least that will era match the 110. :)

Kenton

Postby shortliner » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:54 am

I wonder about a Quay on the left - rather like BobBlackclouds Port Able, but bigger
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands
Manager and Chief Design Engineer, Bodging Department, H Robinson & R Goldberg Contraptions (Highland) Unlimited

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Image Image
shortliner

Postby Dr Gerbil-Fritters » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:16 am

I'm with Jack, make that top track a quayside at the front of the layout. I think it looks cool, code 100 and all!

Dr Gerbil-Fritters

Postby R T Fact » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:02 pm

Looks eminently workable to me.

I would go for the additonal siding and use as fiddle - great believer in mutli-purpose layouts that combine a couple of features where you can use one for a fiddle while playing with the other.

Must post up my track layout when I work out how to use the draw package!!
Rod - modelling narrow gauge but hopefully not narrow minded

http://www.7mmnga.org.uk/
R T Fact

Postby R T Fact » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:02 pm

Looks eminently workable to me.

I would go for the additonal siding and use as fiddle - great believer in mutli-purpose layouts that combine a couple of features where you can use one for a fiddle while playing with the other.

Must post up my track layout when I work out how to use the draw package!!
Rod - modelling narrow gauge but hopefully not narrow minded

http://www.7mmnga.org.uk/
R T Fact

Postby shortliner » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:51 pm

Actually my thought was rather more like this - without that 'orrible kink in the rear track - which could perhaps be solved by using a wye - but the tail track is too short on the original, as it stands, to do very much
Manager and Chief Design Engineer, Bodging Department, H Robinson & R Goldberg Contraptions (Highland) Unlimited

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Image Image
shortliner

Postby Kenton » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:34 pm

shortliner wrote:Actually my thought was rather more like this - without that 'orrible kink in the rear track - which could perhaps be solved by using a wye - but the tail track is too short on the original, as it stands, to do very much

That's REAL smart - I like it ... not exactly what I had in mind Noquay ;) and a bit bigger than the baseboard I have and items I have to hand for scenery - but still like the idea.

Sorry for appearing to ignore it though :( :(

Things have moved on abit today with the great weather outside I could work on the patio. I've been raising the centre of the board up on stilts to accommodate the "burn" and the 3 dimensionality.

Oh and tinkered a bit more with the plan :lol:

Spotted I had a spare point with the kink removed so was tempted into a double inglenook :shock: :shock: maybe / maybe-not :?

The "burn" to the back is more intended to be a spring/waterfall coming down the hill side - but I'm no artist :(
.... well not the type that is of any use in these circumstances
Kenton

Postby shortliner » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:44 pm

....and why not - there are multiple routes to flaying a feline..... But can you smooth out the curve top left?

Image Image
shortliner

Postby Kenton » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:39 am

OK found another LH Short point :) and twisted the whole thing by about 4' and flattened that curve off the cassette (will have to use a bit of flexitrack (but that's no problem)

The amazing thing is that middle track will also take a 2 car DMU equivalent :shock: who said 6 sq ft was too small. :)
Kenton

Postby shortliner » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:43 pm

Now we're cookin' with GAS! Looks much better!

Image Image
shortliner

Postby Kenton » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:06 pm

Well the boards are essentially completed

Raised trackbed - open frame to allow the topography.

The front board profile completed along with some frame supports for scenic areas.

A back scene board and side elevations (including exit to fiddleyard) all with first coat of streaky clouds.

ImageImage

Now about to be sloshed all over with Dane Oil to seal all the woodwork before the damp of the last few days takes hold and twists it all out of shape.
The Loco Shed Allocation List at http://www.steamsheds.co.uk/

Layout (most recent) : Sychpwll (009)
OK_WB (most recent) : GWR 1338 Kitson 0-4-0ST (7mm)
Kenton

Postby Kenton » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:41 pm

The woodwork all sealed - Dane Oil is a wonderful thing :) and the vapours ahhhh :shock: :D :roll:

Cork tiles laid on the trackbed after drilling big holes for the point motor drives. Then another coat of splash it on white matt emulsion.

Now ready for a spot of track laying :)

Kenton

Postby G.M.R. » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:46 pm

I was sad to see the demise of long thinney as I thought it was an excellent idea, but this looks like a great project with plenty of potential.

By the way, noticed that you have changed your avatar. Your map shows my home town. Lived there between 57 and 35 years ago. My secondary school was just at the left hand edge of the map. Spent many a time watching trains on BR Midland line from Kenton Park, almost in the centre of your map.
Geoff
G.M.R.

Postby Kenton » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:25 pm

Thanks Geoff, Long Thinney has been sort of put out to grass - in the eternal hope that one day it may get resolved/rebuilt.

Meanwhile in the interests in an attempt to keep motivated on the layout front .....

You are correct about the avatar - just wanted a change of scenery. :) no prize though as Shortliner(Jack) spotted it within 24hrs :shock:

Kenton

Postby Kenton » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:54 pm

After modifying all the points yesterday, this morning saw all the track being laid. Stuck down with double sided sticky tape...

... which may have been a good choice - because I'm having second thoughts about those sleepers - might have another look at chopping the webbing - SO TEDIOUS :roll: :roll: and for what return - and have I got the time. :?:

Kenton

Postby mines a pint » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:48 am

because I'm having second thoughts about those sleepers - might have another look at chopping the webbing - SO TEDIOUS and for what return - and have I got the time.

Hope you decide to now you have gone for that open-top board!! :D - Will look really good :wink:- though I appreciate time is a pressure now. Look at 'sandshifters box file' http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3769&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25 for the return?
mines a pint

Postby Kenton » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:55 am

Yes I've been following that one
but .. there are two main differences:

Noquay uses Code 100 Setrack and Streamline points where as Sandshifter is using Code 75 - I think that butchering the code 75 will make it look as good as "finescale" where as on Code 100 I'm still not convinced it is worth it.

and

There is a damn sight more track to do :shock: :shock: :shock:

It is just that I'm intending a very light ballasting on the left and a rough yard effect infill (not covering the sleepers) on the right so that heavy webbing on the setrack will show through uggh :!:

Kenton

Postby Kenton » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:20 am

OK - quick question ... :)

what should the true sleeper spacing be ....

and what would look best ...

I have tried 9mm and that really looks silly :x close up
currently 4.2mm on Code100

[Ed]- just realised the question is a bit ambiguous - asking for distance between sleepers edge to edge not centres ;)

Kenton

Postby RedgateModels » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:42 am

I would TRY 8mm from leading face to leading face (i.e. not between sleepers), but it's really a matter of trail and error to see what YOU think looks OK.

The long and sometimes heated debate that happens here and elsewhere always seems to go round in circles, but as the gauge is not scale, then the suggestion (from me at least) that scale spacing might look wrong.

You might also want to consider the sleeper length too?????
Next project - "missing" BR standard 8 2-8-2 .....
'Summat Colliery' Layout thread

I was seldom able to see an opportunity until it had ceased to be one. ~Mark Twain
RedgateModels

Postby mines a pint » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:53 am

what should the true sleeper spacing be ....

-See pm :?: :wink:
mines a pint

Next

Return to Layouts