Botanic Gardens, NER - Updated

Botanic Gardens, NER - Updated

Postby James » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:12 pm

Some of you may be aware of this project...

The East Yorkshire Area Group of the Scalefour Society, which is based with the Hull MRS, is building a model of Botanic Gardens station in Hull as it was in 1915. The group comprises myself, Chris Leach and Dave Burman. I'm very much the junior, having been the last to come to the project after it was already established.

This site http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/stations/b/botanic_gardens(hull)/index.shtml gives a good overview of the station's history. I'm afraid you'll have to copy and paste the address though, the brackets aren't liked by the forum software! The line was the route of much traffic to the docks, including large amounts of coal for export. The irony now is that the coal trains in Hull are carry imported coal!

The final size of the layout will be around 30' x 15'. I find it quite an exciting prospect! Long pre-grouping trains moving through a large scene should look very impressive. You'll see, there's an awful lot to come! I can't recall, in 4mm, a similar theme being portrayed on this scale before, well I've not seen something similar. That every item will need to be built also makes it appealing to me. The result should be truly unique.

This is just a little taster of what we're upto at the moment...

Work in continuing on wiring the layout - originally the layout was to be DC, but a change to DCC has seen new wiring and feeds in heavier gauge wire, to be on the safe side really and to ensure reliability. The polythene sheeting is to keep dust/drips/etc off the layout when we're not there! And those strange off-cuts of wire are there to mark the holes for the droppers...

You may notice that sitting in the yard is a small tank engine..

It's just one of many locos which are well on their... This one is a J71, NER Class E converted from the popular Mainline/Bachmann model of the J72 using a mainly Trains pack as a basis. This, though, is one of the few 'ready made' items we can use! (Though one or two rakes of wagons may surprise people!) Most of the stock will be from either kit or scratch. Quite a big task ahead!

Not sure how that got there... ;) It does look good with some of the 20T NER hoppers behind it though!

Speaking of which, this is one of the first few, we're going to need a lot of these! Thankfully the Slater's kit is a lovely item with which to work!

Hopefully I'll be able to update you all as we start to really build up our stock, and it won't be just the rubbish I'm producing either!

Finally, a couple of shots of the other end of the station taken eariler this year -

The observant amongst you may notice the tramway crossing in the foreground; like I said, there's a lot to come!
Last edited by James on Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
James

Postby 10800 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:12 am

And we look forward to seeing more James :D

Postby buckjumper » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:30 am

I've been waiting for you to start this thread James :wink: .

A fantastic prototype in a fascinating era - I look forward to seeing progress.
buckjumper

Postby John B » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:06 am

Mmmmm, so do I! Been looking forward to seeing this for years.... :roll:
Looking for Lewis and Clark

This is not a railway fotopic site http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnbardwell

CSI - California Branch
John B

Postby PLD » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:57 am

Hull Model Railway Show 8 & 9 November 2008?

Do you think you can have it finished in 50 weeks time James?? :o
PLD

Postby James » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:08 am

buckjumper wrote:I've been waiting for you to start this thread James :wink: .

A fantastic prototype in a fascinating era - I look forward to seeing progress.

We're all looking forward to seeing progress! Image I think we're starting to really get going now.

And I thought it would interest you John!

PLD wrote:Hull Model Railway Show 8 & 9 November 2008?

Do you think you can have it finished in 50 weeks time James?? :o

Do you really want an answer?! I don't think we'll finished in fifty weeks - if it was crude, slapdash and implausible maybe... Image
Last edited by James on Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
James

Postby beast66606 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:39 am

Do you think you can have it finished in 50 weeks time James??

Paul - you have mis-spelt y-e-a-r-s :lol: :lol:

Its moved on since I last saw it - about 5 years ago, it has a 37 on it now :wink:
Dave
All opinions are mine and mine alone
------------------------
WFRM founder
http://www.wirralfinescale.com
My sons fotopic
http://www.johnskipsey.fotopic.net/
My YouTube
http://uk.youtube.com/user/beast66606
beast66606

Postby Adam » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:46 am

Interesting stuff all round, particularly the 20ton hopper - where did you get the etches?

Adam
Adam

Postby James » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:00 am

The etches are from C&L, but have Slater's on the etch itself; they really do make the model! It's just unfortunate that our hoppers need the twin axle gaurds for the period we're modelling, means extra work, though the results are definately worthwhile!
James

BOTANIC GARDENS

Postby micknich2003 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:14 pm

Dear James, seeing your pictures of Botanic reminds me, have you laid in the level crossing with flat bottom rails, on waybeams in accordance with N E Rly Drw No 3907 of 25 May 1900?
If it's on exibition next November, I'd better get my finger out and complete the signals. Yours, Mick.
Mick Nicholson
micknich2003

Postby rob2 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:49 pm

Looks like a top-notch NER based layout is on the way-I'm going to be checking regularly here for tips and inspiration-thanks!
rob2

Postby sparky » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:52 pm

Hi James,
I'm very impressed by you trackwork,would it be Exatoscale by any chance? The 37 looks superb upon it.I'll be following this one with interest.
Geoff
sparky

BOTANIC TRACK WORK

Postby micknich2003 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:01 am

No, the layout as been that long in the making the trackwork is the original K&L of the '80's. Mick Nicholson.

sparky wrote:Hi James,
I'm very impressed by you trackwork,would it be Exatoscale by any chance? The 37 looks superb upon it.I'll be following this one with interest.
Geoff
Mick Nicholson
micknich2003

Postby micknich2003 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:05 am

For one of my own still born projects I once made a model of Botanic signal box. I have the NER drawings of 1898. Should I make another? Mick Nicholson.

Mick Nicholson
micknich2003

Postby James » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:21 am

Geoff, the trackwork explaining it was built by the late Bob Gledhill (who was one of the Botanic team before his death) using the Brook Smith method of stained ply sleepers and rivets, with C+L chairs. Ballast is fine sand with poster colour in it, to represent ash ballast. Underlay is Exactoscale, however. The result is, in my opinion, is superb. Geoff, you really shouldn't be complementing the 37 in this instance... Image

Mick, I have to say I'm not sure about the crossing! But if you would be willing to construct the box for Botanic, it would be greatly appreciated Image
James

Postby sparky » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:48 am

James,
I apologise,i could'nt decide as to whether the track was handbuilt in the traditional way or what. Thought the chairs were E/scale or C&L. However i must say the end result is superb and a credit to it's late builder.As for the 37,well i'm a steam man myself but do like an oil burner now and again and you must admit it looks rather good in that shot.Hope to see more of the layout in the future.
Geoff
sparky

Postby James » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:29 am

No need to apologise Geoff! The track work looks superb; I think the wooden sleeps look superb and very realistically - shame the full impact of this can't be seen in the photos sadly.
James

Postby peterl » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:40 pm

James
You do realise that now the track is fixed down we can't use the layout to practice our pool anymore!
Peter
By the way welcome to Hull MRS!
"Consumption is the sole end purpose of all production". Adam Smith (1776) An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations

:www http://www.hullmrs.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peterl

Postby James » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:42 pm

Thank you Image

And I thought it was used for table tennis?! ;)
James

Postby lankyman » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:21 pm

[the trackwork .... was built by the late Bob Gledhill ]

Indeed it was - Bob was a splendid engineer and all-around good guy and is sadly missed by the Botanic team :( .

There is still the crossover trackwork next to the level crossing (from where the track ends abruptly next to the mock up of the signal box in the photos) to build - I only hope we can match up to his work!

Chris L.
lankyman
New Poster
New Poster

Re: BOTANIC GARDENS

Postby PLD » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:30 pm

micknich2003 wrote: If it's on exibition next November, I'd better get my finger out and complete the signals. Yours, Mick.

Don't panic Mick :shock: - a little sarcasm on my part....

See James' response and Beast's more realistic time scale... :roll:
PLD

Postby Brian D » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:59 pm

Mouth watering. Right up my street. Can't wait to see more! :D
Brian D

Postby L49 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:02 pm

This is looking fantastic. Never really been an NER man myself, but when I think it was BRM ran their series of articles a couple of years ago, I was hoping to see a model done. I'm really looking forward to seeing work progress...
Please take a look at our Ebay shop

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/card-mode ... and-trains

For our ever growing range of card kits for buildings, trains and trams in 4mm and 2mm scales.
Thank You.
L49

Postby Judge Dread » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:25 pm

if it was crude, slapdash and implausible maybe...

All things are possible. It will have to be a "cash in hand" no receipts sort of a job!
We could start straight away and be finished for.................................. 8)
A member of the East Riding Finescale Modellers
Care Worker for the Crude, Slapdash and Implausable squad.
Brockley Green S.E.4. website http://www.thewheel.karoo.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Judge Dread

BOTANIC GARDENS HULL

Postby micknich2003 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:21 am

The attached view is taken out of the back window of Botanic signal box and is looking along Princess Avenue. Prominant in the picture is a McKenzie & Holland "Tram Signal", James, I have the drawings and can throw in the required three along with the remaining conventional signals.
Note how clean the road surface is, the "Street Orderly" must have just been round with his shovel and barrow, no "Hoss [Censored]" visible. Yes, for total authenticity, Botanic will need more than a Few Dallops". Yours, Mick.

Mick Nicholson
micknich2003

Next

Return to Layouts