Paxton Road - Milestone - 1st half 'finished (pg10)

Paxton Road - Milestone - 1st half 'finished (pg10)

Postby jameshilton » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:47 pm

Hello

LAYOUT PLAN CHANGED FROM THIS ORIGINAL POST
LATEST PROGRESS ON THE LAST PAGE

First of all - an introduction as this is my first post on here...
I've been lurking un-registered for a few days!

My names James - I'm 27 from Macclesfield... I haven't had a model railway for nearly 10 years since I left my parents home but have built 3 over a 10 year period with my Dad.

The recent arrival of my first daughter has meant I've less time to spend on mountainbiking and my project car so I've found myself scanning old issues of Railway Modeller and Model Railroader everytime I'm at my parents home!

So inspired by a few layouts on here (Dudley Road actually gave me the idea for the layout plan) I dug out my Railmodeller software (I have a Mac not a PC!) I've come up with the attached... a 6x1 model (which from reading would be eligible for the Challenge layout if only I had a chance of finishing it in time!) based in London somewhere (modellers license allowing me to run whatever I want basically!) on the edge of a small-ish freight yard.

I envisage operating the layout with just a 08 and perhaps 33, but the stabling area (that supports a bigger yard off the right of the layout in my head) allows me to have a few light freight engine movements as well (I've a small collection of older Lima locos, 31/37 and 47!).

The road bridge allows a scenic break between the two halves so that trains can appear to arrive and depart from either half. The loops are both very short (and in fact overlap) but that should still allow two or three trucks to be used.

I intend to make it my first experience of DCC (easier wiring!).

Any comments or suggestions on improvements welcome...
I'll be doing some reading around the forum to determine which DCC system to go for, and I plan on starting in earnest during the darker winter months!

If anyone has a Bachmann 08 in Departmental grey or Heijan 33/1 in Civil Link with DCC already fitted then give me a yell as well :)

Wow - long first post! Thanks for reading.

Last edited by jameshilton on Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 9 times in total.
jameshilton

Postby 10800 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:38 pm

Hi James, welcome!

Interesting plan - is it just the green tracks that go off the layout? I wonder how you are going to move more than one wagon at a time in or out of the permanent way yard?

Postby British Railways » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:07 pm

Hi James and Welcome,
Nice Trackplan but London Somwhere with Class 33 's you must be thinking of Clapham Junction to Waterloo or something like that am i right. But there's nothing stopping you using a touch of that modellers license to create somewhere entirley new now is there :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ep
Oh dear...oh dear....oh dear....I appear to have lost my train....oh wait there she is!
British Railways

Postby jameshilton » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:11 pm

hi guys thanks for the welcome... by my reckoning I should be able to shunt (with an 08 ) two trucks at a time via the headshunt... so I guess it may make shunting operations interesting - but with a bit of thought I guess it would become a good shunting puzzle!

I have a thing about 33/1s! I've fancied one since I saw the Heijan model... I also plan on having a 73 when Hornby bring one out in a more appropriate livery :)

I suppose the layout will be more of a moving diarama then amazing operating layout but its a foot on the ladder and something finishable! :)
jameshilton

Postby British Railways » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:20 pm

James as i said modllers license use that and you could get away with just about anything just as long as it dosen't end up too crazy. :lol: :lol: :lol:
anyway where's it going to be based near Waterloo or Clapham Junction?

ep
Oh dear...oh dear....oh dear....I appear to have lost my train....oh wait there she is!
British Railways

Postby Yorkshire Pullman » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:21 pm

Welcome to RMweb James.

Interesting trackplan, with the larger yard "beyond the bridge" you'll be able to mimic shunting moves without doing anything other than running back and forth as well as your on-stage operations. The 08 can drag a rake of wagons partially into view, then pause while the points are set (beyond the bridge) before propelling its train back into the f/yard. This move can be repeated two or three times without needing to change the consist that comes into view by explaining that wagons are being attached/detached out of sight in the main yard.

I'd be interested to see it in operation when completed, are you planning to exhibit it? Maybe at Macclesfield or another local show, there are plenty in the Stockport area, also Glossop, New Mills and Alsager/Crewe are all within half an hour's drive of Macc.
Yorkshire Pullman

Postby jameshilton » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:38 pm

Thanks - no plans to exhibit it - as it'll have a full height backscene - I suppose I could operate it from the audience so to speak!

The f'yard as you describe it will also be scenicked - but yeah I'd not thought of operating it like that as well...

As for location - I'll do some more research :)
jameshilton

update...

Postby jameshilton » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Well I've been armchair modelling a fair bit since my last scurry of activity on here and some minor stock purchases have been made to aid my planning (that's my excuse).

The track plan has been re-worked slightly - and may stretch the layout an extra foot so the second half of the run round loop is a decent length and the headshunts would accomodate 3 wagons and a 33 or similar.
You can currently fit 3 modern vans and an 08 into the headshunts.

My prototype location is less certain now - my current favourite thinking sees this as the last rail connected customer on a freight only branch in an industrial area... As such the tracks on the left of the layout will go to the board edge and be overgrown and shown out of use...

Revised plan:

I've mocked this out on brown paper and it works in principle. Once the new stuff arrives I'll build the bridge and warehouse in card and take some snaps.
I expect to accumulate the track work (can't decide between insul/electro frog and Code 100/75 yet) between now and Christmas and build the baseboard over the winter with plenty of playing shunting in between. I think the revisions give the chance for some more interesting shunting manouvres. I expect the plan will change slightly again (I've thought about a curved line coming off the bottom left of the board crossing the road as a future expansion deeper into the industrial area...). The obvious expansion is at the right hand side with a continuation of the yard and perhaps a few extra customers.

New stock:

Which joins the existing 08:
jameshilton

Postby jameshilton » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:34 pm

Look what arrived in the post today!!

So I set about some cardboard to mock things up...
The result being I'm thinking I need to either compress my trains so I can use more width, rethink my warehouse idea or lengthen the 6' plan so I can make it wider... all in a worthwhile 'paper' exercise!

Need to order some longer kadees for the 08s too as the number 17s I was recommended needed changing for s ome 18s I had too - but now need more for the wagons.

Expect to see a slightly revised plan soon!
jameshilton

Postby IanHolmes » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:07 pm

Looks like someone's having waay too much fun... :lol:

Ian
IanHolmes

Postby MartinWales » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:52 pm

IanHolmes wrote:Looks like someone's having waay too much fun... :lol:

Ian

Too right! Phone the Model Railway Police!! :wink: :wink:
Martin 'Back in an hour' Jones
C.S.I. Wales
WACKO International

The summer sun is fading
As the year grows old
And darker days
Are drawing near
MartinWales

Location: Llanberis, Gwynedd, North Wales Snowdon that way<-Cambrian that way->

Postby Ralf » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:04 pm

MartinWales wrote:Too right! Phone the Model Railway Police!! :wink: :wink:

What's the number? 0800-CHEESECAKE??

Seriously like the mock ups, mine never stand up :oops:
Ralf

Postby baggiebloke » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:04 pm

MartinWales wrote:
IanHolmes wrote:Looks like someone's having waay too much fun... :lol:

Ian

Too right! Phone the Model Railway Police!! :wink: :wink:

Brilliant, a Whiskers factory! Beat that for a prototype! :wink:

Seriously though, I like your thought process James. Preparation is the key, which is why I'm shying away from showing any of my layout efforts on this forum. Maybe 2008 at this rate... :?
Alex Anderson
baggiebloke

Postby jameshilton » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:17 pm

hehe cheers guys - I'm a dab hand at cardboard mock ups - used to make all sorts out of cereal packets when I was young - and its a technique my Dad taught me when we built our two layouts back in the 90s!

I'm going to have a tinker with Railmodeller and see whats possible if I lengthen the board by 1' - and width by 6"+, and then probably do some sketches too which I'll scan in and post up! :)

I ideally wanted a more open industrial estate type feel rather than a hemmed in overpowering one, we'll see!
jameshilton

Postby jameshilton » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:08 pm

Well headed to my parents this weekend and took my new purchases with me for a play on my Dad's Canadian based layout (complete with undertrack magnets). The new 08 runs a charm and the Kadees all behaved themselves first time :)

I'll scan in a few 'sketches' I've done in the next week or so (off mountainbiking this weekend so busy preparing for that at the mo). I hope to 'break ground' (i.e. cut wood) during November!
jameshilton

Postby jameshilton » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:28 pm

jameshilton

Postby superstat » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:35 am

holy bubbles your drawings are good!
AJ
superstat
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Yorkshire Pullman » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:10 pm

The perspective drawings really show the potential. It will be interesting to see how close to those images you are when it gets built. I can picture in my mind what I want at the outset of a project but it rarely turns out that way. Maybe having a fixed image in a drawing would help, it seems like a good idea.
Yorkshire Pullman

Postby IanHolmes » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:15 pm

Neat Sketches;
I won't consider building a model unless I can see it in 3 dimensions in my minds eye and am able to draw it on paper.
Glad to see others thinking the same

Ian
Blogging T scale http://more-t-please.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and 4mm scale http://4mmscaleagonies.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just how quickly can I build a layout? http://7daymodelrailroad.blogspot.com/
IanHolmes

Postby jameshilton » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:08 pm

A few more from this week...

It's good to work through details in my head yeah Ian.
Still not entirely happy with the right hand side of the road bridge, more thinking required there!
jameshilton

Postby Pete-Harvey » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:22 pm

Well if the model turns out as good as your sketches it will be a cracker.

Pete
What is truth, What is Reality, Why is the Present Now the Past ???

My Work Bench
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5956

My Layout
viewtopic.php?t=6459
If you have not been following this thread you will find it of more use if read from the start. :-)

Image Image

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Pete-Harvey

Postby jameshilton » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:52 pm

Thanks Pete - as I said in my first post its your layout that's really pushed me on with what's possible with Peco trackwork.

I'm looking forward to getting started over the next few months... I suspect to start with I'll be sticking with DC until funds permit. I've an old H&M clipper which really is a fantastic controller compared to my newer Gaugemaster stuff of the early 1990s.

Just got to decide on Code 75 or Code 100 now, does anyone have any strong opinions?
jameshilton

Postby Fosterboy » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:03 pm

With the better wheels on most models nowadays, there's really very little argument against Code 75. As with all ready to lay track, it has H0 sleeper spacings, but what choice do we have at the moment, without building our own track? I think it looks vastly better than Code 100.
Regards

Rich

M?rklin Model Railway Club, Wellington, NZ

Dr Pepperami - What's the Wurst that could happen?
Fosterboy

Postby cig1705 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:08 pm

Those sketches are impressive!

I know that Pete's layout (Dudley Road) uses Code 100. If you've got any old stock kicking around (50s-70s) that you want to use without re-wheeling, Code 100 is better. It's worth noting that many people (like me) will assume that track is something or other without considering things first; e.g. I thought that Pete was using Code 75 on Dudley Road. If you act with care and precision, it'll be hard to tell the difference from most normal viewing distances and angles, although people can and do appreciate the use of Code 75...
I have a signature?
Ralph Morley

Constitutional affairs weblog @ http://commonwealthmonarchist.blogspot.com

Image Freshly approved (retroactive to July 16th)
cig1705

Location: Nowhere near Hull or a Halifax III, but not too far from Hell

Postby jameshilton » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:06 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys - I've used both in the past and since we're talking industrial sidings I think code 75 would be more in keeping :)
jameshilton

Next

Return to Layouts