Hello, I am at the planning stage of a brand new model layout. I wish to create 2 or 3 railway layouts which will incorporate car tracking, lighting for models and landscape features, individual motorised features and overhead set lighting. I want these elements to be completely automated using PC software via a USB port. After some research I'm a little overwhelmed by options.

My question: Does anyone have experience of, or suggest, a software package that could be used for this purpose OR a viable combination of software? Any thoughts and real life experience would be invaluable and very much appreciated.

CTI is well worth considering. It has RFID support which will allow you to track your cars as easily as your trains without having to install decoders in them and it will control DCC as well as DC with their own controllers which makes it great if you want to combine various technologies.

JMRI and RocRail will possibly do what you want as well.

JMRI is free, RocRail is free but they like a donation and CTI can be downloaded for time limited evaluation but is not too expensive to buy.

You should look at rail&co you can countrol all you want from it you have a add on such as the road countrol you just need dectection I am using it for my layout and it is easy. I use digitrax system with it I to am having working light I will have moving cars. I am also adding room lighting at the moment which is hand coutrol but it will be computer countrol one day.

Richard

Archived