Jump to content
Image restoration from pre-May 2021 continues and may take an indefinite period of time.
  • entries
    14
  • comments
    49
  • views
    6,131

About this blog

Scale7 loco workbench.

Entries in this blog

New Videos

Two videos of the K2 working on West Mersea today at January's monthly group meeting.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8fypHlVtYQ   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_9BT24uMh4   JB.

Scale7JB

Scale7JB

Basking in the sunlight.

I walked into the room where the K2 was sitting earlier and it looked great sitting in the sun, so had to take a couple of pictures... The colour of the rods doesn't look to bad in the warm light..   I played around in photoshop to try to make it look a little more like film grain too... don't worry, I didn't spend too long on it, and I know it's far from perfect   JB.    

Scale7JB

Scale7JB

Day return to West Mersea

RMWeb was playing up before so I couldn't write anything here...   Got down to WMHQ yesterday to see Peter and Colin and to escape the cabin fever of being at home all week, and got a couple of pics of all 3 of my 'black' engines.   The J39 and J68 are both shedded at West Mersea as test engines, but both need to return to the Chapel End Engine works at some point to be serviced and have their finishing touches, along with a LOT of weathering.   JB.  

Scale7JB

Scale7JB

Black is the new black..

Just a few new pictures of the K2 with some paint...   Please excuse the mess on the workbench, the room was consolidated slightly over christmas..   JB.  

Scale7JB

Scale7JB

Detailing the rods...

Slowly getting there still... All of the rods are detailed now   I think there are only ('only' he says) 5 things left on the list now... a couple of which i still need to buy a couple of bits for...   Small cab steps. Bolts for the steam fountain access panel on the roof - Scale Hardware. Sanding pipes. Injector overflow pipes. Main driver leaf springs - Hobbyhorse/Reynalds.       JB.

Scale7JB

Scale7JB

K2 cab roof and some decoration too... well, it is nearly christmas..

Hello all...   I finally plucked up the courage to do something with the roof of the K2. After about an hour scouring the endless photos in my books and mags, I made educated guess of what was on the top of the K2 roof! And just to prove that the rivets are actually rivets, and not pressed out...   It would be so much better if I were allowed a pillar drill here... Although a micro pillar drill might be just as handy. Anybody know any good sources for one ? My fingers have gone numb from u

Scale7JB

Scale7JB

Before and after..

Another quick one whilst I'm at it...   A before and after... the before is from a while back...     Before..   After..   Coming along nicely I reckon, though that union link looks a bit ropey... the perils of a cruel closeup   Yes! Finally! The 'infamous' screw has disappeared! PJH will be happy   JB.

Scale7JB

Scale7JB

K2 union link nut and bolt

Only a quick one... got a picture of this with the big camera and the largest extension tube I have..   Nut and bolt, and two washers...     JB.

Scale7JB

Scale7JB

More valve gear stuff

A bit more done today.   I finished off the oil pot on the opposite side top slide bar, and then fitted one side of the motion as in the photo's. You can see the difference with the new union link, it's not perfectly profiled, but I was worried about it's strength had it been taken down any more.   People who had seen the working valve gear before now will have noticed that there was too much slop on the radius rod pin inside the expansion link, so the gear wasn't moving quite as it should,

Scale7JB

Scale7JB

...and now for something I am particularly proud of...

Even more enthusiasm to do the difficult yesterday..   The K2 has an oil pot on the top slide bar which is quiet predominant in the pictures. I was tempted to only solder on a piece of brass rod, but then I thought I would have a go at making it look better with a flange and some of the simulated bold heads that I got from SH.   The pictures are a bit ropey I know..       I also decided to bite the bullet and while the cylinder assembly was off the chassis, chemical black all of tha

Scale7JB

Scale7JB

More reworking...

Had another burst of enthusiasm on the work bench today.   I have been playing with the Scale Hardware parts that I received a while back.   Along with finding a drill bit that was perfect for drilling the hole in the eccentric rod for the oil corks, I have added the fake nut and bolt heads to the expansion link, and another piece dunked in the chemical black.   I don't know if you agree, but I think this chemical black on nickel gives the perfect look for rarely looked after rods... migh

Scale7JB

Scale7JB

Destruction for redevelopment.

Hi everyone...   I managed to get a little more work done yesterday.   Having placed the extra added detail that I am putting into the body of the K2, it means that I really needed to have a look at all of the valve gear as I really wasn't happy with it. It works well enough with the working reverser etc, but I was never going to be happy with the look of it, so I have started to take it apart, piece by piece, detailing each piece, chemically blackening them, and then replacing them on the r

Scale7JB

Scale7JB

Filling time..

Hi everyone, hope you are all getting on with the new RMWeb... I must admit, I'm not at the moment, but I'll eventually get used to it..   I placed my order with Scale Hardware on Thursday, it was shipped friday, so as you can imagine, I'm rather excited about the delivery so that I can get another large chunk of the remaining work done and ticked off of the list of things to do on the K2.   In the meantime, I have been working a little more on the lubricating pipes. I bought some stainless

Scale7JB

Scale7JB

×
×
  • Create New...