Of course not long after getting back from Skiing I get sick! Proper, unable to move type, sick... So again not a lot got done. I did manage to build a kit I bought before getting sick, so now I have a PECO great little trains 4 Wheel Coach. A bit crooked because I didn't quite get the underframe right, but on the whole pretty good.
For the rest the garden has taken a lot of my time, and I mean a lot! It's been back breaking work to clear the mess and get it ready for turning the back third into an orchard with meadow (to save me having to mow it).
Today I've been to collect the new Zillertalbahn Gmeinder diesel D15. It should have had a plain coach with as well as driving trailer, but we couldn't find the last bit... Possibly it's arrived, so I'll call Andy during the week, to see if it came in or not.
I've just put the loco and intermediate coach on the track for a test run. Fantastic!
The loco runs very well, nice and slow and has working headlights. The coach is much longer than any previous ZB coach, so the overhang looks really ridiculous on the PECO N gauge radius 1 curves. Radius 3 isn't much better...
- Directional headlights with switches for configuring push-pull and shunting operations
- 21 pin DCC decoder socket
- Speaker socket
- Comes with HOe bosnia couplings, kaydee couplings and two flat draw bars
The coach comes with the following:
- Built in power pickups on the bogies
- The same set of coupling options as above
- A pack of little metal bits to get the power from the bogies to an internal lighting bar
- A switch underneath to turn the lights on or off (first time I've ever seen that)
The detailing in both cases is superb, I cannot vouch for the accuracy though and with my eyesight you can slip quite a bit past me, but with my magnifying glass it all looks fantastic.
One issue I do have is the propensity for the loco to become detached when using the Bosnia couplings. As they don't have a loop it let's go rather quickly when there is a bump in the track.
Recently I also managed to get hold of a Liliput U 2 (L141481) with the new running gear. Admittedly it runs very nicely, but it doesn't seem to have any pulling power whatsoever! 3 four wheeled coaches seems to be about the limit, which is not really what I had in mind, I had expected a hauling capacity of at least 6!
On the chipability front it does seem to do quite well: It has a little PCB with the various connections well marked, so putting in a Lenz silver mini should be too hard!
Mine came with a piece of foam under the trailing truck, I've left it in place as the pressure seems to be just right to prevent it from jumping when going across a piece of rough track. This is a problem I have with my 2091 class loco....
I would have included some photo's in this piece but my computer doesn't seem to like my new memory card for some obscure reason.... I'll get some tomorrow!