Dapol Class 22

DLPG

There were actually two styles of Data Panels applied to locos, the 1968 type as described here, then around the end of 1973 a slightly different version which had the' Class xx' description in a seperate box along the top. This later version is still in use today on 66s etc, in a colour appropriate to each livery. As far as I'm aware (and squinting at lots of published photos to check!) none of the surviving Hymeks or Westerns had this later panel applied over the earlier type.

Nidge ;)

There were actually two styles of Data Panels applied to locos, the 1968 type as described here, then around the end of 1973 a slightly different version which had the' Class xx' description in a seperate box along the top. This later version is still in use today on 66s etc, in a colour appropriate to each livery. As far as I'm aware (and squinting at lots of published photos to check!) none of the surviving Hymeks or Westerns had this later panel applied over the earlier type.

Nidge ;)

Crewe and Derby first started applying the revised style from about September/October 1975. That's why you certainly won't see a Hymek with them and although the odd Western got a depot repaint in 1976 they all kept the old style datapanel as well. The Class 50 repaints at Crewe are a dead give-away.

Thinking about it you won't find any pre-tops numbered loco with the revised style (that first helped me when sussing the date they were brought in).

Back on topic...can I afford a green 22 and a blue one? I'd better start saving now but will they all have been reserved if I'm not careful? hmmm...

My avatar is a picture of the data panel on D5900.

Yep, that's an old style data panel. Below is the revised style for comparison:

post-7112-0-68183600-1294677290_thumb.jpg

I haven't removed the info, it was like that on the loco. The loco class number was in the top left hand section, the small box to the top right was X for dual brake. V for vacuum brake only or A for air brake only. The additional line stating ETH Index was also added regardless of the class.

Apologies for going off topic.

Just been looking at the latest Dapol catalogue and notice they have made a couple of changes, which is fair enough as a couple of the prototypes they had chosen before were a bit unusual.

Latest list from catalogue:D1000a: D6324 split box BFYE

D1000b: D6326 split box BFYE

D1000c: D6314 split box GSY

D1000d: D6319 split box GSY

D1000e: D6327 split box GSY

D1000f: D6332 split box Green

But looking at the list I have a few concerns,

D6314/27 both received BSY early on, so only carried GSY for a few years, which Is OK but could of possibly chosen others that carried GSY for a longer period.

D6326/27/32 were fitted with Vapour boiler and so the outlet was in a different position to earlier prototypes, although Dapol may well of taken this into account.

All choices are the version without the eyebrow vents above the cab windows, which Is correct.

D6324 was one of the four prototypes that was fitted with the large/chunky headcode boxes and although D6324 was later fitted with the more standard version (which I presume Is the version they are modelling), again It would only cover the model for a short period of time, although my biggest concern with this loco It was never painted blue!!

These are only my noting's, as I have not seen what Dapol's plan are, so some of the concerns may be invaluable, also It could well be typo errors In the catalogue.wink.gif

Trevor.

Thanks for the heads up Trevor.... this has certainly thrown a spanner in the works....!

Thinking about D6314 and D6327 for a minute, I've yet to see any photos of either of them in green with headcode boxes, I've a strong feeling these were fitted when they went into Swindon to be repainted from green to blue, so both would have still had disc headcodes when the yentered the Works. In fact, I've just dug out my copy of BRILL magazine from November 2008 which has a clear photo of D6314 in GSYP at Plymouth on 28/5/66 with discs..... it went into Swindon in late '66 so I doubt very much it ever ran in green with the headcode boxes.

D6324 certainly wasn't blue either! This is starting to worry me now, and conflicts with all of the info and photos I sent to Dapol when the project was first announced. Can't seem to find a shot of it with the 'standard' style boxes but have one of it with the earlier chunky style.

D6332 in green with split boxes.... not so sure about this one either, D6334 was the first one built with the boxes from new and came out of Swindon in all over green with no yellow panel. D6332 was built with discs, but is seen in Swindon Works for overhaul having just been painted blue and fitted with boxes in the Western Legacy video, in a sequence that was filmed in April 1967. I've never ever seen a photo of it in green with boxes!

Of the six locos in that new list, as far as I can see only D6319 and 6326 (without the D in this case if it's blue) are 'correct'. There are numerous shots of 6326 in this guise and I have one of D6319 in GSYP with boxes in one of the Bradford Barton books.

I'm starting to wonder what's coming next....

Nidge

• RMweb Gold

I'm starting to wonder what's coming next....

Nidge

The numbers on the Kernow site are unchanged they still show xxxA as 6322, xxB as 6333 - with the implication from the illustration that they are blue; and xxxc as 6324, xxxD as 6310, & xxxE as 6349 with the implication that they are green while xxxF is still shown as the CAD with no clue about what colour 6335 is intended to be. Presumably the catalogue is more up-to-date than Kernow's information - or is it?

Looks like we need Dapol Dave back from his hols to sort through and give us some finalised information about what we can expect when the box comes in.

The numbers on the Kernow site are unchanged they still show xxxA as 6322, xxB as 6333 - with the implication from the illustration that they are blue; and xxxc as 6324, xxxD as 6310, & xxxE as 6349 with the implication that they are green while xxxF is still shown as the CAD with no clue about what colour 6335 is intended to be. Presumably the catalogue is more up-to-date than Kernow's information - or is it?

Looks like we need Dapol Dave back from his hols to sort through and give us some finalised information about what we can expect when the box comes in.

Indeed Mike!

I can say for certain though, that D6335 should appear in GSYP with headcode boxes, it never received any form of blue livery. It's such a pity that the Exe-Rail collection of photos isn't shown online via samples as many of them are superb for getting the details and liveries right for this class. As far as I'm aware, they're still available to buy online but anyone wanting them would be buying them 'blind', from a description only. I spent a fortune several years ago gathering up about 95% of the Exe-Rail Hydraulic prints (my other half's face was a picture!) and cross referencing them with other published material has helped to pin a lot of them down, so to speak.

As has been said previously further up this thread, no two seemed to be alike, at least not during the same 'time frame' anyway!

Nidge

Having done a little more delving last night, I came across a b&w shot of D6335 taken in August 1962 with headcode boxes fitted but no yellow panel, previously I'd thought it carried the yellow panels from new so that's at least one of them sorted out. (It did gain the yellow panels later on though and was never blue).

I'm sure as time goes on, a few more old photos will emerge and shake things up a bit more!

Nidge

Thanks Nidge,

I'd go along with that and have amended list so, all D63xx's except D6301 were fitted with headcode boxes by the end of 66 and D6314/27 were in Swindon at that time.

D6332 in plain green with headcode boxes, seems to be highly unlikely, but would like to hear different.

Cheers

Trevor.

This may clear up the mystery of D6332. This is from some long lost colour prints, that should have been Ektachrome slides but were processed incorrectly, I thought I had thrown them away! With the advent of photoshop elements I have rejuvenated it a bit, it's still not very good but may assist in this query. I have dated the image as September 1966 but on reflection I think it was March 1967 around the Easter period. I will check that out.

post-4697-0-69262800-1295278289_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

That's a cracking shot BV, many thanks for sharing it here. Whether it's September '66 or March '67, I think we can safely say it's unlikely D6332 ever ran with headcode boxes in green livery. As I mentioned earlier, it appears in footage shot at Swindon in April '67 undergoing overhaul, and is clearly already painted in a fesh coat of BFYE. I also have an Exe-Rail print of it in A Shop dated 7/5/67, showing it being painted blue, with burn marks and primer on the cab front where the modifications have been made to allow fitting of the headcode boxes at one end, the other end looks as though it's already been finished and painted.

I'd say that's another one as good as 'nailed' :)

I'm almost too scared to ask.... do you have anymore like this that haven't appeared on your website...?

Nidge

• RMweb Premium

D6324 (Oct 61) & D6302 (Dec 61) were the first to be fitted with headcode boxes, although this was the chunkier version and was carried out at NBL in Glasgow.

Trevor.

So it looks like My pre-orde for:- D1000c: D6324 split box GSY is going to have the wrong headcode boxes?

That's a cracking shot BV, many thanks for sharing it here. Whether it's September '66 or March '67, I think we can safely say it's unlikely D6332 ever ran with headcode boxes in green livery. As I mentioned earlier, it appears in footage shot at Swindon in April '67 undergoing overhaul, and is clearly already painted in a fesh coat of BFYE. I also have an Exe-Rail print of it in A Shop dated 7/5/67, showing it being painted blue, with burn marks and primer on the cab front where the modifications have been made to allow fitting of the headcode boxes at one end, the other end looks as though it's already been finished and painted.

I'd say that's another one as good as 'nailed' :)

Just in case there is any remaining doubt, here's D6332 looking decidedly ex-works, complete with headcode boxes and in BFYE, dated August 1967.

• RMweb Premium

Hi David,

If it helps, D6324 was fitted with standard size headcode boxes in late 66 and was in GSY livery until Its withdrawl in Sept 68.

hope this helps

Trevor.

Hi Trevor,

Many thanks for your reply. Late 66 is a bit late for my proposed layout. I'm looking for a D63XX with Standard Headcode Boxes in GSY. I think I'll cancel my pre-order and wait to see what happens. What a mess :angry:

Do we know if Dapol are planning to proceed onto modelling the disc headcode variants as yet?

Asked on the Dapol stand at Warley if their were any plans to produce the Class 22 (63xx) in their original disc headcode versions and was told not at this time!

• 2 weeks later...