The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

quick quiz

Michael Delamar

The pillbox has a pretty rubbish field of fire, and doesn't exactly protect the railway. In fact, anyone climbing over the railway would easily be able to storm it by taking a running jump onto the roof without risking being shot at by those inside.

We were talking about the whole picture and not just the train, weren't we?

Guest jim s-w

Was the Pill box protecting something else? Perhaps a bridge that was bombed and the bank was put there in its place?

Cheers

Jim

Going by the scar in the embankment directly behind the Pill Box I suggest it has slid down from the original position. There would not have been much chance of getting a good foundation on that man made earthwork, and keeping the line open at the same time, during construction.

Wally

I actually found it first of all, by 2 electricity pylons that cross the line before the camera panned round, found them on google maps by following them along the line, then searched for pillboxes in woodchurch. and come across it.

was expecting it not to be known, or if it was known to just be another recordered one, wasnt expecting the history.

I also think thats why the cameraman included it in his film. it was about 10 years before.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

haha nope, and hey I like crostis! smile.gif thats not actually a crosti btw.

might be quite hard, although I think Beast66606 may get it???

not very nice by the way.

Mike

Only just spotted this - too late !! - on occasion I go to a footbridge about 300yds from there to capture the Merseyrail stock moves.

BTW - The 9Fs always worked back tender first with the empties ... so thats not unusual.

Archived