Over Haddon

sixteen 12by 10s

HI

I have just had a small break from Glenuig, and decided to have an evening of "playing trains". Hiding in the loft two stories up from Glenuig is my big roundy, roundy called "Over Haddon". I thing i did put some photos on the old Rmweb some time ago and a few have appeared, in the How realistic section. 

Over Haddon is a 00 gauge layout set in the 1930's and located in the heart of the peak.

Most of the stock is RTR with kit built items and one or two scratch built bits.

The scene is dominated by the West Derbyshire lime works.

Have a look, and enjoy the photos.

Gary

an 8F rounds the bend as it passes the lime works, it will be stopped at the home signal before reversing the train into the up siding to make way for an express

post-7480-036214200 1290201300_thumb.jpg

Ex midland 1F waits at the signal with a short freight

post-7480-029404400 1290201319_thumb.jpg

The army are coming!. Heavy modified airfix 4F

post-7480-010283600 1290201355_thumb.jpg

standard Compound with a stopping pas

post-7480-094477700 1290201380_thumb.jpg

Jubilee, passes at speed as it attacks Haddon bank

post-7480-002636400 1290201399_thumb.jpg

Great stuff – for the least 35 or so years I've been fascinated buy the line through the peaks ever since I first saw the viaduct at Monsal Head when I was a young lad on a walking holiday with my family. For me its wonderful to see the LMS theme – its the Big four and the pre-group companies that capture my imagination.

Thanks for posting.

Is the layout this portion you've photographed and a bank of storage sidings?

Absolutely brill layout, at first glance it looks like Dent on the S&C with the road bridge in the background. I take it the layout does not go to exhibtions with it being in the loft, what a shame.

cheers

mike

Hi

The layout was inspired by my late fathers love of crimson and black engines, this coupled with my love of the area inspired me to produce it. The trackbed of the peak, as you say, is a wonderful walk, and I have now walked the track bed from Monsal head to Blackwell mill.

The layout is an oval with storage loops at the rear, I have an overall photo of it somewhere I will try and post it in the next few days.

Over Haddon is semi portable, it is built in sections and they will come down through the loft hatch, so you never know, I might be tempted to dig it out one day, but first it needs finishing.

I will take a few more snaps in the next week and post them.

Thanks for the interest

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Had a play and photo session with Over Haddon yesterday, well it was that or go and do more Christmas shopping!

Had another go at the 8F with the long mineral, think this ones better, there is a BW version on the how realistic topic, and yes I realize now that the light is the wrong way round on the sky.

post-7480-072732200 1292183959_thumb.jpg

2F rumbles through the platform with a mixed freight

post-7480-023368200 1292184106_thumb.jpg

As trait out the box Hornby black 5 and the second oldest loco on the line, a craftsman 1F

post-7480-063093600 1292184132_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I've only just stumbled across this thread, and I just wanted to say what a good representation of the Midland in the Peak District. I especially liked the lime kilns.

What makes it so good is that you can look at it and say, I know where that is without being told or looking at the station signs.

Archived