Charwel Drynogyth, Boston level

sixteen 12by 10s

The origins of this one date back to 15 years ago, so its about time I got it finished, and the building began after a walking trip up in the disused Dinorwig quarry. So for something like 15 years it has been hidden under a pile of junk in the loft, I think it has survived quite well,and it has been in the unfinished list for several years. At the moment Glenuig is packed away (big news from the glen, soon), due to DIY work. Over Haddon is in the loft and its b100dy too cold, up there. So, I wanted an Xmas project to keep me out of mischief with the missus, so I thought I would resurrect this one.

Its 0-16.5 ,7MM, contained on one board 30†by 20†(now say you have no room for 7MM), and Welsh, so now I have an Scottish, English and Welsh layout!.

Gary

I want to make some buildings, probably a compressor house and a small workshop. And move the incline around further to allow more space at the front.

post-7480-060663800 1292789274_thumb.jpg

The Rushton diesel, a Writines kit I think, its been a long time

post-7480-009720400 1292789303_thumb.jpg

Just out of the paint shop, and waiting for the black paint to arrive, an Alice class Hunslet, I have just built a new chassis for this one.

post-7480-039988600 1292789317_thumb.jpg

Must add my positive comment here too...

really nice - as you say "now say you haven't got room for 7mm scale"!

I can't believe you piled "junk" on top of it, and forgot about this layout.

Super stuff, please finish it and post some pics!

Cheers

Marc

P.S. Are your English, Scottish & Welsh layouts built in sizes relative to the size of each country?

if so, are you planning a 7mm scale Isle of Man railway next :rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Think, the wagon is a Wrightlines kit, but its been so long, I still have several built but not painted . The slate, tip however, was produced from some shale recovered from Glyn Ceirion.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Looks like a Wrightlines to me, one of their earliest kits of Talyllyn wagons. Nicely detailed and straightforward to build. There is a bit of a question mark over the future of Wrightlines at the moment, Its been discussed elsewhere on this forum.

Lovely looking layout, is the pointwork handbuilt? Whats the origin of the quarry Hunslet?

Many thanks,

Dave.

Hi all

First, thanks for the response.

The track

The strait track is Peco, and in the scenic area sleepers have been spaced out, to give a more lightweight look. The points are hand built on site, using copper clad sleepers, I had to go down this route to get the track plan into the confined space.

The origins of the Hunslet is a problem, some time ago I was given a bag of castings, and a half built chassis, the castings do, again look like Wrightlines, but I can't be sure.

Just put the black paint on this one, so stand by for a photo in a few days of the finished article.

And yes, the size of the layouts do match the size of the countries, Over Haddon, the biggest, English, Glenuig, Scottish, and this one welsh, there's always Northern Ireland.

Gary

http://www.rmweb.co....36-over-haddon/

http://www.rmweb.co....g/page__st__125

• RMweb Gold

Nice! - looks very convincing despite the small size, how did you make the points did you use templates? I think the peco points look so little like industrial trackage thought they dont look as bad for 'heavier' lines like the ffestiog, but how did you know what size to make them, sleeper spacing etc?

Hi Russ

Nice to hear from you again.

I did tell a bit of a lie, the layout has only been in the loft, for 9 year, previous to that, it had been in the cellar 2 years, information supplied by the missus.

From what I can remember, I drew the plan out on the baseboard, and just had a good guess at the sleeper spacing, the majority is buried under slate waist anyway.

Gary

Hi Tim

As I have said, I don't know the origins of the Hunsleet, but I thick its a Wrightlines body.

The Wrightlines kit is not in production at the moment, but an etched brass kit is available from Mercian models  http://www.modelrail...locomotives.htm

I have not built one of these kits, so I can't tell you how they go together, but generally Mercian kits are OK.

The rock faces, were built up of different thicknesses of card and polystyrene layered, then coated with?, I now need to match the new bits in an can't remember!!

I will have a progress report, after the counseling, I have just spent 3 hours sticking slates on a building, and I am trying not to go mad!!.

Gary

post-7480-0-29935500-1293565407_thumb.jpg

Hi

I have spent loads of time working in the quarry this week, the dank foggy weather has meant I have not got out birding this week. So I have been cellar bound for most of the week and have tackled the workshop and compressor house buildings. I seam to have been sticking cardboard bits on buildings forever. And still have some to go. The method I have chosen to replicate the sawn slate blocks used to build everything in the quarries, is by cutting out random pieces of card, and gluing them on to a ply carcass. I have done in excess of 1000 of these this week so far blaaa blaaa blaaa, I am not going mad.

As a change from the mind numbing work of stone cladding, today I thought I would have a go at the water wheel. It has always been my intentions to have a water wheel on the layout, just to add a bit move moment. Fashioned from bits knocked up in the late, and plasicard, it actually rotate courtesy of an ex video recorder motor, The structure over the top will support the leat, I thick it looks a bit wild west fro Wales, hopefully the paint will tone it down,

post-7480-0-59596900-1293740731_thumb.jpg

post-7480-0-88547000-1293740766_thumb.jpgpost-7480-0-96809700-1293740797_thumb.jpg

Hi Folks

Another day or two hiding down in the dungeon, and things are progressing well. I have toned down the “red†water wheel, a little but I have now ran out of rusty paint. Where the race from the wheel passes under the line,I had put a girder bridge in, but looking at it, it was a bit over the top, so I have replaced it with a twin rusty pipe culvert.

Anyway, the next task will be the sawn slate wall of the incline,round the corner, make that round the bend, about another 700 card bits to cut out and glue on.

Gary

post-7480-0-09472300-1293996233_thumb.jpg

post-7480-0-53476800-1293996255_thumb.jpg

Gary, I like the toned-down colours you've achieved.

The whole thing now looks very natural.

It's a fab piece of modelling, so please keep up the progress!

And if you decide to store it in a loft again......

.....there's plenty of space in mine :lol:

cheers

Marc

Colors, well I have to admit to a trick I have learnt of that Chris Nevardmedia fella. Its all to do with the lighting. I now try to model, photograph and display models using 6400K color lamps. These are about the closest think you can get to true daylight. This type of lamp is available as a standard energy saving lamp, and also a florescent tube.

A 16mm scale Quarry, well this ones 30†long in 7mm so I make it 68†in 16mm, possible, would be different.

Anyway

Things progress

Gary

post-7480-0-85174000-1294690989_thumb.jpg

post-7480-0-68665600-1294691008_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Work in the quarry has been progressing at some pace, and now the scenic work is about 95% complete. I have been using the layout to practice photographic techniques, and I am very pleased with the results of the modeling and the photography.

The driver pulls up to take on water

post-7480-0-49939600-1295810225_thumb.jpg

Janice sits outside the hut, you can bet her master is inside having a brew.

post-7480-0-89303600-1295810250_thumb.jpg

post-7480-0-08049400-1295810302_thumb.jpg

post-7480-0-23128500-1295810329_thumb.jpg

Hi Gary,

Gorgeous! Simply gorgeous!

Your little layout puts a lot of much larger layouts to shame, well done, Sir! You've picked up the atmosphere and character so well, I simply had to comment! I especially love the buildings and the 'rusty' metalwork all around.

Would it be possible to do another 'overhead' picture, please? I just want to see how everything fits in now!

Yours, dribbling (& plotting!),

John E.

Archived