Hudson Lane NER 1992-1997

Jon Grant 4472

Hudson Lane was the first exhibition layout I completed, way back in 1992. A snowscene in OO, rather than the HO I am used to now, it represented the North Eastern Railway in North East England between 1912 and 1923.

Until now, I hadn't uploaded any photos of it as it was retired and dismantled long before I got a digital camera. I have finally got round to scanning and cropping the photographs that I've found so far of the layout which started it all off for me.

After Hudson Lane appeared in the December 1995 issue of British Railways Modelling and attending well over 20 shows in the UK, I dismantled it in 1997, salvaging many of the buildings and scenic parts to be incorporated into it's successor Hudson Road (see Railway Modeller November 2003, January and March 2004, and December 2010), another snowscene built using everything I had learnt from building and operating Hudson Lane.

Here are some photos - sorry about the quality compared to modern standards.

CCF30012011_00018.jpg

CCF30012011_00013.jpg

CCF30012011_00003.jpg

CCF30012011_00000.jpg

CCF30012011_00001.jpg

CCF30012011_00002.jpg

More photos can be found here

http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showgallery.php/cat/2356

Jon

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

Thanks for posting these photos. I remember seeing your layout in BRM and since then it's always been one of my favorites. One of the most convincing snow scenes I've seen in model form!

Tom

What an absolute pleasure to see this layout again after so many years . It was one of my favourites as it was probably the best portrayal of a winterscene I have seen and at the time was really very different from most layouts of the day.

Do I remember something about it being housed in a basement which caused some space issues or is my memory playing tricks?

Thank you so much for putting this on the site..

.... everything they said, thanks for posting those up. I for one am recently returned enough to have missed your layout first time round. The dusk effect in snow is rather groovy and just where did the ploughs come from?

Thanks for sharing.

Hello Jon,

Nice to see some piccies from the good old days. Remember when you brought it to the Whitby show during the early 90's when I was the exhibition manager. Caused quite a bit of interest, if I remember correctly.

Derek

Hi Derek,

I remember it well (1993). I still have the Triang Railways book I won, signed by Pat Hammond. Used to really enjoy the Whitby show as well. Great atmosphere.

These two photos were taken at Whitby, while the layout was still in its first incarnation - fiddle yard to terminus

CCF30012011_00030.jpg

CCF30012011_00029.jpg

Jon

.... everything they said, thanks for posting those up. I for one am recently returned enough to have missed your layout first time round. The dusk effect in snow is rather groovy and just where did the ploughs come from?

Thanks for sharing.

I had to scratch build the ploughs (7 in all) as nobody did a kit for them -The North Eastern had over 20 ploughs but they were in 12 completely different styles

Jon

What an absolute pleasure to see this layout again after so many years . It was one of my favourites as it was probably the best portrayal of a winterscene I have seen and at the time was really very different from most layouts of the day.

Do I remember something about it being housed in a basement which caused some space issues or is my memory playing tricks?

Thank you so much for putting this on the site..

You're most welcome

Hudson Lane construction started in a box room, but work really took off when I moved to a house with a basement. Here's my son Steve helping with construction

CCF30012011_00021.jpg

CCF30012011_00020.jpg

Heres Steve as he is now at St Albans show, in January this year

IMG_8461.JPG

and messing about behind the layout

IMG_8470.JPG

Jon

Can I ask how you acheived the snow effects?

Hello Brian

The snow on the tracks was white matt emulsion painted directly onto the woodland scenic ballast.

The snow on building roofs was the same paint painted onto DAS Modelling Clay.

scenic areas had the white emulsion painted onto grass mat - this had to be touched up on numerous occasions after it started turning green

Snow on the roads was das modelling clay again and a metal 'Matchbox' car was 'driven' through the still-soft clay. Once dry it was painted white.

This was my first attempt at snow and I made plenty of mistakes, most of which I corrected on Hudson Road, the successor to this layout, but that's another story.

aam.jpg

Jon

Jon,

Really good to see the photos. Brings back some great memories. Nice to see some of my old wagon kits on the layout - is it that long ago when I started to produce them! Ah,happy days. Your little lad seems to have grown up quite a bit since I last saw him. I must be getting old! Come and say hello to me at the Birtley Show in March where I will have my layout "Stainsby". There is no snow on it, mind you!

David

Jon,

Really good to see the photos. Brings back some great memories. Nice to see some of my old wagon kits on the layout - is it that long ago when I started to produce them! Ah,happy days. Your little lad seems to have grown up quite a bit since I last saw him. I must be getting old! Come and say hello to me at the Birtley Show in March where I will have my layout "Stainsby". There is no snow on it, mind you!

David

Think I missed out on something by not thrashing out a sponsorship deal with 51L :( They were/are a significant part of the wagon fleet.

Will definately be at Birtley to say hello

Jon

Wow, the snow treatment looks fantastic!! I have a real soft spot for snow scenes and this one is great. Can you please tell me what emulsion paint is. I'm sure we have on this side of the pond but under a different name.

Dave

Wow, the snow treatment looks fantastic!! I have a real soft spot for snow scenes and this one is great. Can you please tell me what emulsion paint is. I'm sure we have on this side of the pond but under a different name.

Dave

Emulsion is a water-based white paint you paint on the walls at home when redecorating (Dulux and Crown are brand names in the UK Dulux paint)

It comes in vinyl matt and vinyl silk

Jon

Archived