DCC fitting Guides - Readme

Trains4U

DCC Fitting Guides

Trains4U offer a DCC fitting service for all of our customers, however, I am very keen to help people help themselves, therefore I have produced guides for a number of hard wire installations.

These guides are intended to aid the modeller in disassembling their loco and fitting an appropriate decoder, hopefully highlighting any potential pitfalls and providing helpful advice as nesessary.

These guides are intended for use as a visual aid only. Appropriate care must be taken when fitting DCC chips and necessary precautions taken regarding short circuits, insulation of wires and soldering, as such Trains4U or myself cannot be held responsible for any damage or injury caused as a result of following these guides.

The methods of fitting decoders are my own, there are other guides where things are done differently and may even be a neater or easier solution. However, in these guides I have documented the process that I had in place at the time, and many of these were carried out as a first-time trial.

The Decoders used in each guide are either the most appropriate available at the time, or the decoder specified by the customer. The most appropriate decoder for your model may vary depending on the range available at the time, your needs and your budget.

I am gradually copying the existing guides from the old RMWeb, and I will be adding more in the future.

If you have any specific requests, please let me know.

The following guides are yet to be produced and will be done when occasion arises:

Bachmann WD 2-8-0

Bachmann B1

Bachmann J39

Hornby Ringfield comparison and guidance notes

I have not, as a rule, provided guides for DCC ready locos, but if anyone would like to see these (From a dismantling point of view) I'll be happy to add them by request, provided I have an appropriate model available.

thanks

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've always found your guides useful.

With regard to getting into locos, I found the Hornby 153 to be a right PITA. Any hints and tips you've stumbled across would, I'm sure, benefit others in the future.

Try our links page to 4mm decoder fitting guides at http://www.bromsgrov...allation4mm.htm

Might also save Gareth some work if forum members look here first before asking him to reinvent the wheel! I'm all for saving work!!!!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Try our links page to 4mm decoder fitting guides at http://www.bromsgrov...allation4mm.htm

Might also save Gareth some work if forum members look here first before asking him to reinvent the wheel! I'm all for saving work!!!!

I used the link to Bromsgove & from there to the RMweb link

- found this OK

Fitting Decoders to Lima Diesel/Electric Chassis

This has been moved to:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/DCC/lima.htm

but the new link cannot be found so can I be direcetd to the correct place please so I can advise a newbie where to lokk.?

I used the link to Bromsgove & from there to the RMweb link

- found this OK

Fitting Decoders to Lima Diesel/Electric Chassis

This has been moved to:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/DCC/lima.htm

but the new link cannot be found so can I be direcetd to the correct place please so I can advise a newbie where to lokk.?

All the Lima links from our site work, so not sure what you're looking for.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks for that - I'd already found that page. It seems to include lots of 'ordinary' posts. I assumed (obviously wrongly) that there would be a list that I could look through til I found what particular loco fitting that I wanted.

Regards,

Paul.

Maybe you want this?

http://www.bromsgrov...mm.htm#TableTop

The problem with a list as you mention, is that there are so many variables - many manufacturers of chips & product discontinuation, sound/no sound, lights, production changes to a model etc are just a beginning. The principles of fitting a chip ought to be generic in nature.

Kevin Martin

• 8 months later...

Hi Gareth,

Do you have the link or details for fitting DCC to the Collett Goods? Everytime I try and go onto the Old RM web I get a 404 HTTP error - page not found. Was this one of the pages that was lost? I hope not as the Collett Goods is my last remaining loco that I am going to chip with my Dad so we could really do with your guide to help!

Many thanks,

Adam

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

I've always found your guides useful.

With regard to getting into locos, I found the Hornby 153 to be a right PITA. Any hints and tips you've stumbled across would, I'm sure, benefit others in the future.

You can weedle your way in between the chassis and the body using a set of car mechanics feeler gauges available from most motor spares shops such as Halfords.  Alternatively you could use a piece of brass shim.  Once you have got the metal in you can start to prise the body away from the chassis with plastic card and finish with an old credit or loyalty card.

Edited by D1056WesternSultan

• 1 year later...

Does this guide provide help for people with trains that are not DCC Ready? I Have a Hornby Class 47 that was built before DCC Ready came around, and i wish to make it DCC Capable.

Edited by T40_95
Spelling Error