started this beast last week and thought you might be interested in the pick-up method that I have adopted. I decided to take advantage of the fact that with the bogie chassis block and the main chassis both being resin/plastic, I would pick up from one set of wheels on each bogie - I hate using plungers so shorted out six of the Slater's driving wheels. I then drilled a 0.7mm hole in the edge of each bearing flange on the shorted out side, although I have not used the centre bearing
I had just finished writing v1 of this final chapter and was about to add the photos when I had a windows error message come up and have had to start again.
Well, the build is now complete - the cab canopy is on and the coalman has been, the fireman has dirtied his trousers (you would not think so but it is a trick of the flash - honest) and the Johnson's Klear has found another use - the water overspill in amongst the coal.
33006 lefthand side
33006 cab detail
I posted a similar thread on RMweb3 showing the current 'state of play' and it is just as easy to start agin here on v4.
So here we have a completed tender and a motorised chassis with cylinders fitted. the kit is from David Andrews and I really like David's kits - they fit together well, the instructions are good and so is the quality of the etches and castings, white metal and lost wax. The wheels are from JPL, ready turned and rim insulated on one side allowing me to use the 'America
here are the weathered pictures but still awaiting the cab canopy (having various thoughts as to how to capture it) and the coalman has still to appear on the scene.
33006 left side 3/4 front
33006 left side 3/4 close up
33006 left side cab close up
33006 mechanical lubricator
33006 tender close up
33006 right hand side tender/cab detail
33006 right hand side cab
33006 right hand side 3/4 front
now that we seem to be back 'on air' - a few quick photos before the weathering stage (after the smokebox number, shedplate and the cab canopy are fixed.)
33006 - 1
33006 - 2
33006 - 3
33006 - 4
33006 - 5
33006 - 6 (just to complete the set and check sizing)
today's progress - hole at the front now filled in - as promised, and the rest of the boiler fittings now in place, just the 'pipework' to the lubricators to fit and then I can turn to the cab windows and internal fittings - other than the backhead, which will be done 'off model' and fitted after painting and with the windows in place. Then the pipework on the mechanical lubricator and the remaing buffer beam fittings - so could be finished tomorrow, although thinking about it, tomor
progress has been even slower than expected, due mainly to having a major problem with the central heating but got some of the fiddly bits on and had a good test run on the Club layout. This threw up a couple of niggles, due mainly to the 'American'pick-up method in as much as the cab footplate support brackets were coming into contact with the 'boxes' on the front of the tender footplate and the footplate itself touching the tender brake standard below the fall plate on the sharpe
having made several unsuccessful attempts to transfer the thread over from RMW3, I have decided to give the file link for those who are interested or are coming in as 'new readers starting here'
Yesterday's progress was to short out the wheels and fit/wire-up the motor - all done successfully and will carry on with the remaining bodywork bits today and then give it a good run at the Club tonight and tomorrow and then strip
trying to get my head around the new system, so here goes.
Over the last few days, I've fitted the pipework and mechanical lubricator, which just leaves the motor to do, hopefully today.