The new floor for the roundhouse has been used as a template to cut out the turntable pit and the inspection pits using a router. At the same time all the pits outside the shed have been cut as have the four inside the Workshop - a total of 38.
I need to add a few more pieces of 6.5mm ply under the turntable to strengthen this area - in the meantime I must remember not to lean on this area of the board!
Here are a couple of photos showing the result. The cut out for the shed pits remind
I managed to finish cutting and positioning the ply sleepers for the single slip and turnout this afternoon. The last sleeper is on the guillotine ready for cutting to length it's position shown by the pencil in the foreground.
Part of my workbench also showing, in the top left, a variety of ply sleeper jigs for soldering up crossing vees.
Here are a few more photos of the office complex.
All that remains now is to paint the roof tiles.
There are two additional brick built chimneys to add to the higher of the two hipped roofs and two vents/chimneys. These will be made and added at a later stage.
Work has progressed on the turntable pits and I now have 23 of the 24 pits fitted. Only road 14 remains to be made but this is causing a minor problem as it is the long road which contains the wheel drop.
I know the shed had a hydraulic wheel drop which was situated on this road just outside the rear of the shed - it had a brick shelter with a corrugated roof - but I have been unable to find any information about it. If anyone can tell me which companies made hydraulic wheel drops or provide
Having collected some more parts from Chris at the Ally Pally show last weekend, noteably a new shed floor, I have spent some time this week marking out the positions for all the inspection and disposal pits on the layout in preparation for a routing session.
I made a visit to the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre in Chippenham and obtained digital copies of a number of ex Swindon Works Drawings including the 60ft Cowans Sheldon turntable for Barrow Road, Water & Drainage diagrams a
The self adhesive tiles produced by York Modelmakers are excellent, easy to use and look the part. The last building I tiled, Sheep Pasture Engine House, had individual tiles which I cut from 5 thou plasticard. They look good but would be a daunting method to adopt for all the roofing on Barrow Road Shed so I am pleased with the results produced by YM's tiles.
Anyway here are a few photos of the Sand Dryer during the tiling process.
I have since noticed I forgot
I have now coloured the walls using my favoured method with coloured crayons. The Berol Karisma ones are no longer available so I have substituted some from the Faber Castell range which have proved to be better.
The building substructure is now assembled and I will add these walls to it shortly.
Having assembled the carcase of the building I have now fixed the four walls into position. The building is now awaiting final finishing with the attachment of the roof. Unfortunately the laser cut parts for the roof have not arrived yet so I will now switch attention to the sand dryer chimney... watch this space.
Here are a few photos to be going on with...
I have been unable to post anything since Monday so I'll do this post while I have access.
Here is a good photo of the Office block; the section at the front with the lower hipped roof; whilst the Mess and Stores are at the rear, the stores being nearest to the shed building. The model is sectioned along the centre line of the Stores/Mess part of the building in line with the sectioned roundhouse.
I have made some progress with the two elevations which make up the model, namely the
It has been a while since I was able to post anything so here is an update of work done over the past week.
I have managed to lay exactoscale 5mm foam on the three end boards, add the templot trackplan as an overlay and finally lay the track on the main line. This end of the layout is where the main line starts to rise to attack the 1 in 60 Fishponds bank and modelling this section of the incline has proved a challenge getting the gradient consistent over the length of the pair of boards. To ad
Here are some photos of the finished building - except for the 2 chimneys and vents previously mentioned.
Final weathering will take place once everything is built and in place on the layout.
Thanks for all the positive comments.
The next installment will be the roundhouse and workshop itself.
I now have to wait a few weeks before I take delivery of the main shed and workshop...... watch this space.
While on the subject of the wheel drop I have enlarged a view of the wheel drop shelter taken from inside the shed. I am intrigued to know what was the purpose of the 'cupboard' doors at the based of the side wall. Another photo in my possession suggests their were similar 'cupboards' on the other side of the shelter.
They could of course be for storage but maybe they gave access to the 'hydraulics' of the wheel drop. Ideas anyone?
I have now received the sub roof parts for the sand dryer and so decided to take a break from constructing the office complex to complete the sand dryer.
First I attached the mdf substructure to the locating lugs on the internal structure
then I cut pieces of 20thou plasticard to form the hipped roof and fixed these to the mdf.
the next task will be to add plastic rod over the joints before adding the tiles. These come in self adhesive strips which can be cut to fit using a
The next building on my list is the brick built shed next to the ash plant which I believe housed the plant control equipment.
The model is made from plasticard with overlays of Slaters english bond brickwork. The ladder rom the ground to the roof of the building together with the longer one to the platform on the ash plant are scratchbuilt using 1mm x 0.3mm nickel silver strip whilst the steps are 0.45mm wire. The mortar course is a wash of black acrylic which is then sand back to l