Jump to content
  • entries
    10
  • comments
    16
  • views
    231

Entries in this blog

Guess the project.

Guess the project.

To cheer myself up following imposition of a local lockdown I've decided to do teaser photo for my next project.   I'm not going to say what it is intended to be, guess away. What it actually ends up as may be a different story. Possibly pushed to the back of the "work in progress" shelf.    Comments and suggestions welcome as always.   Ken

D6150

D6150

Another small step

Another small step

So here we have the airfix moon buggy, or more correctly the lunar rover. I have added seat backs, antenna's, and the cargo rack/bulkhead behind the seats. I still need to add the satellite dish on the main antenna, and the distinctive orange mudguards.   The two astronauts in the background are taking rock and dust samples, that's some kind of probe, not a rifle. These guys are roughly half way through painting, I think the space suits look better with a matt finish.    I al

D6150

D6150

One small step....

One small step....

A bit off topic for RM Web, and about 12 months late for the Apollo 11 anniversary, here is my first attempt at the Airfix astronaut figure set....    These are made of slightly squishy vinyl rather than hard plastic. This can be hard to paint (ask my 12 year old self), but it turns out a quick coat of watered-down PVA glue works as a primer (leftovers from IKEA). Paint used is a mix of humbrol and revell enamel, with some cheap watercolour paint from The Works for weathering.  

D6150

D6150

 

37681

So my latest project is completed, or nearly. A repaint and minor detailing of the old Hornby class 37, which had been stored away and largely forgotten for 20-odd years.    Briefly I have... - Fitted new air horns - Fitted fixed-beam and high intensity headlights - Fitted some jumper cables (possibly not all of them) - Fitted new cab steps in the correct location (removing the class 47 steps wasn't easy)  - Altered the nose grilles - Removed the buffer be

D6150

D6150

 

Another project....

So having completed the first Hornby TTA wagon, I've moved on to my next project (victim?) Hopefully still just about recognisable as the Triang Hornby R751 class 37. I'm trying to complete the modification/detailing I started a few years back (1997 if I'm honest, it's been a busy 20 years or so).    The plan is to update 37130 to it's final form as 37681. I'm still debating liveries.    Various alterations to the body shell so far (some better than others). Not one for the r

D6150

D6150

 

Some time later....

So after a bit of a gap, some progress to report. My ho scale Australian project is currently on hold as I grapple with the bits I'm not so good at (scenics, buildings).  Meantime I have been clearing out some of the old Hornby/Lima which has been cluttering up my folks loft for the last 20 years or so, and seeing what (if anything) i can do with it. First up is one of the omnipresent Hornby TTA wagons. This was the red Texaco version, but is now in BP colours, inspired by the Lairg ta

D6150

D6150

 

Slow progress

Ok, so limited progress of late, other demands and priorities. However I've made a start on the small Station building, creating a basic card "box" that all the detail can be hung on. I've tried replicating the clapboard/weatherboard finish of the original using thinner card, and although it's a slow process, I'm impressed with the results! Hopefully this will continue.....  Ebay has provided some excellent Ho scale corrugated sheet from Auhagen for the roof, of which more later.   

D6150

D6150

Bricks and sticks

Bricks and sticks

So, moving onto some buildings for the planned layout. My initial idea was for a signal box. However an extensive rake through Google suggested that signal boxes weren't that common a feature of stations in small rural South Australian communities. So plan B... The very informative "When there were stations" website (sorry not sure how to post hyperlinks) turned up some excellent photos of the former Station at Moockra. This features a small building of a design which was apparently once common

D6150

D6150

 

On we go..

So, some more progress. Put together a pre-printed 20 foot ISO container in TNT Freight Services colours. Went together fairly easy, apart from the fact superglue wouldn't stick!! Looks pretty good for the cost, and will be tucked away in a corner of the eventual layout. Although now a global brand, TNT started off in Australia.  Also been doing some more research on grain hopper wagons and railway buildings, more to follow.... Thanks 

D6150

D6150

 

Hello

So hello to you folks at RM Web. After lurking and reading others contributions, decided to add something myself. Currently working on ideas for a small layout, probably a branch terminus, on the South Australian/Victorian border. Time period is a bit hazy, anywhere in the last 30 years. Inspiration from YouTube and Flickr. First item of stock is a detailing and tidy-up of an old Life-Like GM F-series into a homage to the Commonwealth Railways/Australian National GM class. Yes I know i

D6150

D6150

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.