I have converted my 2nd Jinty for the EM gauge layout.
This time i bought a pre built set from Ultrascale, expensive but very nice indeed. The wheels are a straight swap and the coupling rods attach to the wheels with no modifications required. I had to cut the brakes off and glue some 40 thou plasticard to bring them out and file to shape.
I then glued them back on to the chassis with a bit more filing to the plasticard.
After a bit of paint the b
I have spent quite a long while looking at pictures of EM gauge track and thinking how good it looks, so i decided to have a dabble. Bought some GW models tools, some wheel sets from Colin at Alan Gibson, some C&L finescale track and some Peco track from the EMGS. I attempted a BR 3MT first, that was a mistake, talk about running before you can walk, so i had a go at a jinty.
Well? it works, im quite excited with that, I have no idea how you guys do big locos with all the valve gear in
Its time to say goodbye to my Shillingstone station layout. It was the first thing i built when getting back into the hobby and i made quite a few mistakes with clearances and point work.
I used Metcalfe platforms and the Bachmann station set.
I am going to re build it as it will be in 2020 as preserved. I will scratch build the platforms and learn from my mistakes. I have a new train to work on it, it needs re painting to match DS1169. I may be asking questions on
I have been working on the goods shed and Northern approach into the station.
Had some great help from posters on the Somerset and Dorset RMWEB forum, including photos and advice on point rodding.
Ballasting and weathering next, I really must make a sky scene to cover the other station building above the bridge, so much to do.
I test laid all the track and made the platforms and buildings a few months ago to check the plan and clearances. In the last week i have wired all the feeds, point motors, polarity switches, isolation zones and signals.
after checking it all works i glued the track down with PVA and then sprayed the whole track matt black and started the weathering.
This afternoon i put the buildings back in place to double check the clearances.
Next up more weathering and point rodding.
As the embankment runs down into Sturminster Newton it goes around a curve, i was going to put a curved backdrop around it but then decided to fill the corner with some modelled polystyrene. The section just lifts out so i can model it on the bench, thought it gave the area a bit more depth. Be nice to hear what other modellers think.
I also had my Velux fitted at last by my good mate Polish Mat (who is also a big model railway fan), he did the work on a Sunday and did a fantastic job, its
Stourpaine and Durweston halt opened in 1928 and closed in 1956. It was on a single main line. A passing loop was situated about half a mile North of the platform, I have used modellers license and put the passing loop at the platform (ducks for cover).
Most of the halt still remains being on private land.
The model is made from Plasikard and the platform supports and running in board from Dart Castings. I had to drill 96 x 0.4mm holes for the 0.33mm fence wire, still lots to do and i
When ever i visit Blandford i take a walk along the old railway from the iron bridge to the bridge over Salisbury st. A lot of old coal can still be found here and i collect it, break it down and fit it to my locos and coal wagons. Many of my loco models never ran over the S&D such as this wonderful Bachmann 44044 but the coal certainly did.