Jump to content
  • entries
    13
  • comments
    5
  • views
    204

About this blog

The history and fate of the locomotives that worked at the Small Heath scrapyard of Charles Strong, 1966-86.

Entries in this blog

Ruston & Hornsby 165DE (1st)

This 165HP diesel arrived in 1975, from a shipyard in the North East of England. It was only recorded working a couple of times, before being shunted into the scrap line. A shortage of motive power at Shelby Group's subsidiary, White Peak Limestone & Tarmacadam Ltd. saw it taken into the Watery Lane workshop for servicing and an overhaul of the brakes. IRS records show it as being seen on  the 10th of August 1976 on the back of a Shelby Haulage low-loader at Stafford Services on the M6. A 19

Ruston

Ruston in A

The Brown Peckett

This W5 Peckett, of indeterminate age, was registered with the British Transport Commission and despite the steam ban arrived at the yard in 1973 under its own steam, via BR metals. It's former workplace was just up the line at Small Heath gas works. It was a regular performer at Strong's and was found to be useful in the winter months, with its Stones turbogenerator and large electric lamps.   In1977 a group of enthusiasts attempted to buy it, but found the frame was bent and it also

Ruston

Ruston in A

Andrew Barclay 14-inch 0-4-0ST Polly Gray

This saddletank was new in 1941 and worked at a munitions factory in North Wales. It was later sold to a gas works, near Worcester and when replaced by diesels in 1961, was stored in its shed. A run-down of the works, just before the coming of north sea gas, saw all the equipment sold for scrap and the loco was acquired by Strong in 1973. It was named Polly Gray and put to work occasionally right up until 1982, when it was presented to the Chasewater Railway. You won't find it there as it is off

Ruston

Ruston in A

11-ton Hibberd 4wDM

This Dorman-engined Hibberd is believed to have originally been built in 1956 for a cement works in Kent. It was sold to a contractor in 1964 and was used on various tracklifting contracts around the country in the wake of Beeching's closures of unprofitable lines. It was seen in the Camden yard of Alfie Solomons Ltd. in 1967 and by 1974 had turned up at Strong's yard, in Small Heath.   It doesn't appear ro have been very popular with the drivers and spent a lot of time at the end of t

Ruston

Ruston in A

Ruston 48DS No.1

This Ruston & Hornsby 48DS was supplied new to the Midland Widget Works, in 1949. The works closed in 1973 and the contract to demolish and dispose of all scrap metal on site went to Charlie Strong. The loco was found to be in excellent mechanical condition and was taken to Garrison Lane to join No.2 in shunting the yard.   It was last recorded by the IRS as being seen in 1980. Presumed scrapped or sold thereafter.

Ruston

Ruston in A

Ruston 48DS No.2

According to the Industrial Railway Society's records, this diminutive Ruston 48DS arrived at the yard in 1966. It is thought to have been supplied new to the Ministry Of Supply, in 1942. Where it worked during the war is unknown, but it was first noted at an engineering works, near Bromsgrove, in 1959.   It was last noted by IRS members parked at the very rear of the shed at Garrison Lane, presumed scrapped or sold by 1979.  

Ruston

Ruston in A

×
×
  • Create New...