One project that has sat on the work bench for a while are a couple of the old Airfix/Dapol BR 20T brake van kits I've been been detailing. One of them I decided to back date as an earlier LNER version which I've now completed.
This particular kit had banana shape sole bars so a bit of manipulation was required to try and staighten them. I cut off the concrete end weight mouldings and made new ones up from plastic sheet. The moulded handrails were removed and replaced with brass wire and soldered up where necessary.
I enlarged the windows on the veranda ends and made flush glazing up from a CD case. This has worked well. The ducket windows are made from Glue-n-Glaze.
The kit roof was replaced with one made up from plastic sheet-details added included MJT torpedo vents and some aluminium tubing for the stove chimney.
The running boards were cut shorter and the stays thinned. Wheels are Gibson 3 hole disc ones.
To finish I sprayed the underframe with NATO black and preshaded the roof and body. A mix of Valejo acrylics made up the bauxite and this was all sealed with Klear. Decals are a mixture of HMRS/Fox. Weathering was carried out using a mixture of washes, dry brushing and airbrushing the underfame. This was finished with Tamiya matt varnish.
Finally, Springside lamps were added as well as the cliche Monty's guard leaning over the veranda end.
I'm not sure if the LNER version would have had different 'W' irons compared to the kit ones but I'm happy with the finished result.
I've taken a few snaps on 'Juniper Hill' of the brake in the company of Kettering Ivatt 2MT 46444. A farm worker (Monty's) has a brew beside his Ferguson tractor (A weathered Oxford product) oblivious to the goings on behind him.