What might have been the last vaguely sunny evening of the year was used for getting the undercoat sprayed out in God's own paint booth. I am still working on a representation of the lake livery, which I personally think should be darker than most renditions I have seen. A mixture of a dark brown and deep red from the citadel range was used in this case.
I thought I had all the details added and then, upon opening the white(ish) colour for the roofs, I realised there were no rain strips on the models! These were added in micro rod. You do need to have a plastic roof to solvent weld them on but they were easier to complete, and neater, like this than any other way I have tried for this detail.
A couple of days later and the vehicles had livery and weathering completed. The picture below was taken at the 2mm AGM in Bolton and is the property of Mick Simpson (reproduced here with permission).
I can't remember punching the rivets out on Mansel wheel inserts previously but on this larger than life portrait they do show. Unfortunately the short cuts I took with some of the brake details do too.
According to the excellent articles in GWRJ on modern horse boxes 411 was delivered on the first lot of N12s during 1915 and 19 was delivered as part of the third and final lot of N12s before the end of 1918 so a workaday representation of the lake livery is appropriate for my c.1921 period and I'm reasonably happy with the final colour.
With these finished it must be time for a rummage for the next project...