Over the last few nights I've been knocking up the following Class 13 Slave unit out of an old Lima Class 09 shunter. Bought a copy of a special edition of Modelling British Railways about all the TOPS Diesels - really brilliant and haven't been able to put it down. When I saw the section about making a Class 13 out of a couple of Hornby Class 08s I started watering at the mouth! 'I have to have one, I have to have one' became my mantra around the house for a few days. Always on a budget, I can't afford to hack about with a pair of new locos worth £75 each so I had a go at an old Lima instead.
The result - I've put my Bachmann Class 08 with it for a few piccies. There is no way I'm going to start hacking away at my Bachmann though to complete the unit. The pics are just for example. I like the black and white ones personally.
The backing plate is cardboard and so is the cover box. I used the original back to the cab for the cab surround but had to make up the height with a piece of 3mm card - just carried the original wasp stripes up to the lip. I've used a cut down wooden coffee stirrer for the brake rods - crude, I know, but I figured that it was better to have something rather than nothing. To hide the clunky rods I've blackened them with metal black then painted 2/3's so it looks in proportion.
The lengthened buffers are just pieces of plastic cut from a Cracker Box and then painted yellow. Pipes and knuckles are from the spares box.
Cut off the molded hand rails and replaced them with wire - these look okay but could be better. The steps have been made from pieces off an old brass fret and the cab ones are off an old Airfix/Dapol Battle of Britain tender.
First time I've converted anything so pleased with result so far. Got to give it a bit more of a rub down with the glass fibre brush and also coat of matt varnish after the Overhead and Double arrow transfers go on. Ordering these from Fox transfers.
Now it's down to the Master - however, I need another Lima. If anyone has an old unloved one for sale please let me know. I had to remove the motor from the slave so have one spare. Just need it to be Blue and have original wasp stripes. Also need the rods.