In an earlier post in my blog, I described construction of a GWR Tilt Wagon, based on a photograph in a Forum Post by Wagonman. I also reported that, when Sir John saw it in North Leigh station, he commented that it might just hold all his daughter's hat boxes. So, I now call it my 'Hat Box'.
At the time of my earlier entry, I had designed and built the basic body and started adding some of the detail. Completing the rest has been a very fiddly task, using lots of rivet strip (from Mainly Trains) and wire for the various rails.
I had just decided that I was going to have to scratch-build the chassis, when the GWR/RCH underframes re-appeared in the MJT catalogue (Dart Castings), after having been 'temporarily out of stock' since the end of last year. After a previous experience of slow delivery, I was expecting a long wait but they arrived by return post - excellent service from Dart Castings!
The W-irons have a rather spindly look, which suits the model very well and conveys the look of the prototype. As a finishing touch, I added some lengths of very fine chain (32 links per inch) from Scale Link.to make the door keeps.
My method for attaching the chain was to cut a short length, dip it in a dilute PVA solution and then tease it into place on the side of the wagon (laid on its side), using a cocktail stick.
The PVA dries completely clear and seems to hold adequately - though I would not try rough handling! Once it had dried, I set the wagon in front of a line of clerestory coaches, similar to the position of the prototype in the heading photo:
It can be seen to be quite a large wagon, especially when compared with the adjacent Iron Mink (V6) van. I still have lettering and numbering to do, but this can wait until I do an overall job on my fleet of back-dated 'red' wagons.
With the Winter modelling season approaching, I feel that I need to turn my attention from building stock to developing the scenery on my layout. As I have mentioned in earlier posts, my layout is derived from a simple Hornby-Dublo track plan, with the addition of a narrow gauge feeder (009) on an upper level.
I intend to tackle the development of the scenery as a series of 'vignettes', as indicated on the following diagram.
Working on each element in turn will allow me to follow Mikkel's dictum of eating an elephant in small portions! Even with my tiny layout, I think it could take quite a long time