I like to have a number of different projects on the go to ensure that once I've had enough of a particular aspect of modelling then there's always something else to get on with! I've found there's a limit to how much enjoyment can be had glueing static grass fibres to my layout, so decided a bit of soldering was in order! :-) Sherton Abbas station platform will be lit by representations of gas lamps, so a regular supply of gas would be needed to supply these. In the period that I'm modelling the GWR transported gas in twin cylinder wagons, so I thought an example of one of these would be a nice addition to the stock used on my layout. WEP models produce a rather nice etched brass kit of a Cordon wagon, so I treated myself to an example and made a start on its construction.
WEP models twin cylinder cordon
The kit contains the usual etched brass frets, assorted thickness brass wire and some white metal castings. Wheels and axles aren't supplied with the kit, so a pair of Slaters wheels and axles were also purchased.
The instructions supplied with the kit start with the fabrication of the cylinders, so the components were cut from the fret and the edges smoothed with a fine cut file.
The pieces of brass obviously need to be curved to form the cylinders, so I rolled the pieces of brass on a sheet of rubber matting to produce a smooth curve along their length.
Rolled cylinder components
These curved components then needed to be soldered together to form the cylinders. Despite reading the instructions in what I thought was a careful manner I couldn't work out how these components could go together to make the required diameter cylinders. After much head scratching the penny finally dropped and I realised that I had rolled the brass in completely the wrong direction! The components were designed to be rolled along their width and not as I had done along their length! After much muttering and a few expletives I managed to flatten the pieces of brass and then roll them again, but this time in the right direction! "When in doubt follow the instructions" seems to be an appropriate comment at this juncture!
Cylinder components rolled correctly
Once I'd re-rolled the cylinders things progressed much more smoothly and the pieces were soldered together using the riveted joining strips.
Cylinder components soldered with jointing strips
The end caps for the cylinders are white metal castings and these need the addition of a couple of etched brass components before the assembly of the cylinders can be completed
The three cylinder pieces were soldered together using "Carrs" 188 solder paste and then the end caps were glued in position using Araldite epoxy resin. I must admit I found assembling the cylinders quite challenging and think that etched brass overlays attached to a piece of brass tubing of the right diameter would be a lot easier to construct!
The cylinder support frames were the next components that needed to be assembled and these come as etched brass pieces that need to be folded up to the required shape.
The wagon decking is then folded up to make the planking that sits between the cylinder supports.
Decking and cylinder supports
Progress so far!
Well that's as far as I've managed to get with this kit so far, it's certainly fought back on occasion but I'm hoping the chassis shouldn't be quite as demanding! I can't see much modelling progress being made over the next couple of weeks because of the impending festivities, so I'll take the opportunity to wish everyone a splendid Christmas and look forward to more modelling in 2016! :-)