After 6 months of trying and failing to get anyone to make a laser cut kit from my Autocad files I have decided to take matters into my own hands and sort the station once and for all.
I saw Ratio now produce a William Clarke style station building, which I thought might make a starting point for my kitbash. They also make an etched roof light, so I gathered my raw materials.
This approach would surely meet with Mr Clarke’s approval as he was essentially an early proponent of design and build, adapting a set of plans for stations to fit multiple sites and local materials.
The plans were drawn by my late father from pictures, maps and from photos I obtained when the station was shamefully demolished over a weekend. If people are interested I can put a link to the Autocad files in my next post.
The plan was to get all the parts from two kits and cut and shut each elevation to fit the plans.
I experimented with staggered joins and straight, I will go back and micro fill all the gaps before final assembly. I have used this technique before and with careful finishing it can be very tidy. The poly cement used for joining can also start the filling process. Be sure to put thin reinforcements on the back of joins over lintels etc and leave to set on a flat surface.
Cuts were made with a sharp hobby knife, steel rule and patience, cleaned up with a needle file. After a short while the front elevation was nearly finished. We have most of the right door and window apertures, just not necessarily in all the right places...
The rear elevation presented a challenge, since one half of the building is mostly windows. I did cheat a bit, the three WC windows are now one long oblong window. This side will be away from the main view angle and I think it looks OK. I considered scratch building the window section, then realised the doors were all in the right pace. I filled in the bottom with off cuts and will re scribe the bricks later.
That means the whole of the original building, which is wider than the extension, is now done, I have the gable ends to make up, which will be done in plasticard with DAS clay overlay, to scribe the stonework in. At the opposite end the “extension” part which is narrower was the perfect width for the Ratio kit, I just have to buy one more kit to make the platform elevation.
Work done I took the dog to the beach for a paddle. Which may or may not be upside down, depending on your hemisphere or personal orientation...
Next time- “I love it when a station comes together...”