Things are not going completely to plan on the buffet conversion, I had filled the windows and started sanding back, however the finish was nowhere near good enough. While not immediately visible, after filing back the filler there was a slight indent around the filled windows (I expect paint would make it stand out a lot more!) The windows are set just under ten thou back from the sides (slightly less than ten thou at the top and slightly more at the bottom). This deviation sunk my original plan adding a piece of 10thou plasticard on top of the window, reducing the amount of filler.
My first attempt was to sacrifice the red, white and yellow lines and apply the sanding stick to a wider area in order to try and blend in the filler. I then noticed that there was a little give in the glue holding the glazing in place, and still the filler over the window was fractionally lower than the surrounding plastic. At this point I went for drastic action, ripping out the windows and cutting a strip of 40 thou plasticard to the approximate height of the hole. With a square file I then removed the round corners to get 3 rectangular openings, and started to prepare the plasticard to be a tight fit in the holes.
So far I have only found time to do the toilet window, however assuming that I manage to get home at a reasonable hour tonight I intend to get the two larger window blanks fitted and apply the first coat of filler. Fingers crossed this will get the desired effect!
I have also made a start on the interior, although so far all I have managed is to chop out the redundant seating units. Working from a series of photos I will knock up an approximation of the buffet area ready to install. I should also get round to fixing the excess plastic on the chassis before installing the buffet unit in order that it doesn’t get damaged during handling.