This challenge was more challenging than the first one. The box is about 18 cm wide, 7 cm deep and 12,5 cm high.
I have a nice collection of cars that deserve to be put in a diorama. In a small box like this you can not create a scene with pavement, some road and a background model.
So, I spent a lot of time drawing several (not) possible diorama plans. Using several materials and prints.
The picture above is made when I finally found a solution. A small garage scene with a car, some pumps and figures.
I used my usual method for designing. I diverse the ground in thirds and the backscene will be placed almost diagonal. I will use the garage from Scalescenes, a backyard building from a Scalescenes corner shop, used as the garage office, and the Scalescenes Workshop. Also, some figures from Dart Castings and pumps from 3DK models.
First step was to design the background. I used a grey sky and tried out different options for a background building. Finally, I decided to use a picture of the low relief factory from Scalescenes. I resized it to a useful background factory.
Now it is time to put see what kind of ground texture I want to use. There are several options. After the try outs the choice was made: a texture from 3DK will do the job.
I will add the base after I have finished all the buildings.
Because I want to use blue Morris BMC car and the diorama is so small, I have made some thoughts about the colour for the garage. I would like to put the attention to the details on the for ground of the diorama. I saw in some pictures that a garage with painted white bricks was an option. In stead of using paint to give the brown brick texture a white colour I used the painted white brick texture from Scalescenes.
For detailing the garage, I searched for signs on the internet. The garage door is also a texture from internet made to size.
After I had I had finished the garage I filled in the small gap at the left side. This is just a suggestion for a building.
Now I had to build the front with two petrol pumps. I had a model from Scalelink but missed the right colours to create a SHELL pump. I had some pumps from 3DK models which could be used. I also bought some petrol pumps from Kingsway models. I also found some nice textures on internet.
With these components I found the solution. The Kingsway pumps have a layered approach. I used this method to create my Shell petrol pumps. I used textures from internet for the front and the sign, for the sides the red pars of the 3DK pumps and some black wire for the hose.
The Morris pickup van for some semi-gloss varnish from Vallejo, some weathering with Agrax Earthshade from Citadel for the canopy and some rubber tyre from AK paints for the tyres.
The only difference with the plan I made that I left the figures away. Focus is now on the Morris BMC pick-up.
This IKEA box challenge is now finished. I can start with the next and last one.
I hope you liked this one.
Thanks for reading and as usual critics and suggestions are welcome. I’m never too old to learn.