I find it interesting to observe how, having broken the ice, the waters of enthusiasm start to flow!
I’ve been experimenting with some of the tools in Fusion 360 and while it’s still very early days, I can now produce carriage sides with ‘tumble home’ curves and I can also add curved tops to the ends, for fitting to roofs.
So far, this has just been an experiment, as I explore some of the possibilities for future designs.
Although the Fusion 360 software can produce ‘sliced’ models directly for 3D printing, I decided to use the 'Cura' software in the first instance, since I have already set this up for my printer. This is the image, ready for slicing, as shown on the 'Cura' screen. Note that the estimated cost for this model is 18 pence, showing that, once the printing hardware has been bought, the main investment is in time.
It is very pleasing to realise that I can produce many of the model features in one go, using the computer software, rather than having to assemble lots of ‘bits’, when assembling a physical model, with all the hassle that using superglue or solvent inevitably brings!
The replacement print-head on my E180 printer also seems to be performing better than the original, producing a smooth flow of filament, when building up the sides of the body.
This is what emerges from the printer after about 2½ hours. There's still some cleaning up to be done but the main shell looks quite good to me. I'm taking it steadily, so there are no external beadings or framing, as yet. I have included recesses for the droplights, however, and the ends are rounded!