Jump to content
  • entries
    138
  • comments
    788
  • views
    112,553

IKEA challange 3

In the past I have to do my built diorama’s away. Nothing bad about that, but my wife likes my diorama modelling. Yes, I’m a lucky guy with that.

But now I had to find another way for creating diorama’s that could be placed in the living room.

On a Facebook group I saw someone who exhibited his Petite Property models in a showcase. In the latest numbers of the BRM magazine there is an article about building a layout in a Billy shelf.

My wife liked that idea. So, my next IKEA challenge will be to build a diorama on a Billy shelf. This diorama will be dedicated to her. The diorama will be a farm scene with Hereford cows and other animals. I love those Pendon farm side scenes, but I have to do something different here.

P1060908.JPG.b92dfd8ec45e2a78c7fc04148aad3adc.JPG

Left scene

P1060909.JPG.ea0066cf8b1d7d4b21bca11e8d71f30a.JPG

Middle scene

P1060910.JPG.eb9bb9597e08fd3a8ea70d429fac55e9.JPG

Right scene

 

But my knowledge about this subject is limited. So, I need your advice.

I will start with the left part: a farm situated on a country lane between two places.

The cars on the picture I will not used. In front af the farm there will be a Rover P4 75, another white metal kit from the John Day range. The other cars are a Jowell Bradford van on the road and a Austin A70 pick up for a milk delivery scene.

The vegetable garden will become a garden with an apple tree, flowers and some vegetables. 

The farm will be card build using the farm from Scalescenes in aged brown brick.

 

First of all, can anyone give me some advice about modelling an early 1950’s country lane?

 

And of course, all information about this subject is welcome.

 

Greetings,

Job

  • Like 3


7 Comments


Recommended Comments

Mikkel

Posted (edited)

Hi Job,

 

I can't help you with the subject but I do like the idea. Nice of you to dedicate it to your wife, you may be a lucky guy but it sounds like she is too :)

 

I like the man leading the cow/bull! Can I ask who made the cows, please?

 

Edited by Mikkel

Share this comment


Link to comment
3 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Hi Job,

 

I can't help you with the subject but I do like the idea. Nice of you to dedicate it to your wife, you may be a lucky guy but it sounds like she is too :)

 

I like the man leading the cow/bull! Can I ask who made the cows, please?

 

 

Mikkel, I agree with you about the first sentence.

The cows and bull you can find here RDS10: http://johndaymodels.webplus.net/scenics.html 

I think you would like the Victorian postbox as well.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Hi Job, i'm really looking forward to seeing this develop:-)

 

I wasn't around in the 50's, but as a small boy in the mid 60's I spent a lot of time on my Uncle's farm in rural Staffordshire.  The lanes there were tarmac and then covered in fine chippings with grass growing in patches down the centre of the road.  There were certainly no curbs at the side of the lane, just grass banks full of wild flowers, cow parsley, rosebay willow herb along with primroses and bluebells in the Spring. 

 

Best wishes

 

Dave

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
46 minutes ago, wenlock said:

Hi Job, i'm really looking forward to seeing this develop:-)

 

I wasn't around in the 50's, but as a small boy in the mid 60's I spent a lot of time on my Uncle's farm in rural Staffordshire.  The lanes there were tarmac and then covered in fine chippings with grass growing in patches down the centre of the road.  There were certainly no curbs at the side of the lane, just grass banks full of wild flowers, cow parsley, rosebay willow herb along with primroses and bluebells in the Spring.  

 

Best wishes

 

Dave

 

Thanks Dave.

 

That's for me very useful information. Would be a challenge to create the verge of a road in front of the diorama  with wild flowers, etc.

Share this comment


Link to comment
20 hours ago, Job's Modelling said:

 

Mikkel, I agree with you about the first sentence.

The cows and bull you can find here RDS10: http://johndaymodels.webplus.net/scenics.html 

I think you would like the Victorian postbox as well.

 

 

Thank you Job, I didn't know that Daryle's range included livestock and figures etc.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Marly51

Posted (edited)

I shall scan some photographs and paintings from my book collection on old cottages and farmhouses, Job. Will send them by message attachment so you can use them for reference.

 

Some of Stanley Spencer’s paintings have farmhouses similar to your model. Although these paintings date to the late 1930s, country buildings and roads would not have changed a lot over the next 20 years, as the boom in car ownership didn’t really take off until the 1960s. 

 

https://paintdropskeepfalling.wordpress.com/2011/07/10/stanley-spencer-exhibition-at-compton-verney/

 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/gardening/2016/04/15/cottages-edit_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpg?imwidth=450

 

As Dave (Wenlock) has described, roads to farms can be narrow, with grass verges, lined with thick hedges - some farm roads could be rutted, with potholes and  grass sprouting in the middle. The top surface of the road would be chippings from local stone quarries. Here in the Highlands the roads in the 1950s were often a pinky red colour. Maybe someone who grew up in the area you are modelling could advise on local stone. An old farmhouse path could have paths made from large slabs of slate, or simply gravel.

 

Good luck with the model! 

 

Marlyn

Edited by Marly51
  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
17 hours ago, Marly51 said:

I shall scan some photographs and paintings from my book collection on old cottages and farmhouses, Job. Will send them by message attachment so you can use them for reference.

 

Some of Stanley Spencer’s paintings have farmhouses similar to your model. Although these paintings date to the late 1930s, country buildings and roads would not have changed a lot over the next 20 years, as the boom in car ownership didn’t really take off until the 1960s. 

 

https://paintdropskeepfalling.wordpress.com/2011/07/10/stanley-spencer-exhibition-at-compton-verney/

 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/gardening/2016/04/15/cottages-edit_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpg?imwidth=450

 

As Dave (Wenlock) has described, roads to farms can be narrow, with grass verges, lined with thick hedges - some farm roads could be rutted, with potholes and  grass sprouting in the middle. The top surface of the road would be chippings from local stone quarries. Here in the Highlands the roads in the 1950s were often a pinky red colour. Maybe someone who grew up in the area you are modelling could advise on local stone. An old farmhouse path could have paths made from large slabs of slate, or simply gravel.

 

Good luck with the model! 

 

Marlyn

Hi Marlyn,

 

Many thanks for your information.

Got also some useful information from Nick Salzman, who has a great blog: https://moorestonemodeller.wordpress.com/2019/05/08/wheelwright-for-pendon/ 

A lot of inspiration and some nice articles.

Looking forward to your scans.

 

Greetings,

Job

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.