Jump to content
  • entries
    120
  • comments
    1,873
  • views
    179,100

Clerestory Brake 3rd diag D14

wenlock

1,639 views

IMG_2663a.jpg.26e150c2751dfb4691f015481bae3a39.jpg

 

So far the only coaching stock that I've built to use on Sherton Abbas, are a rake of 4 wheeler's along with a solitary all 3rd bogie clerestory.  To add a bit of variety to operating sessions I've decided to build some more passenger stock and thought I'd document their build in my blog.

 

The Slater's kits comprise of really well moulded plastic components for the majority of the coach body, accompanied by lost wax castings for for detail parts.  The coaches run on etched brass bogies, that incorporate individual sprung suspension for each wheel.

 

The instructions suggest starting construction of the kit by building the etched brass bogies, so I tackled these first.  The main frames are a simple fold up exercise, with the corners reinforced with solder.  A little judicious filing was need on the etched brass cusped edges to enable the hornblocks to slide freely and then the wheels could be temporarily fitted to allow the set up of the brake shoes.

 

Etched brass bogie fold up

IMG_2550a.jpg.ff489fc474aaca3be20296953c2e2f6c.jpg

 

The brake gear was fitted with the wheels in situ and once happy that I had adequate clearances was soldered into position.  Fitting the step supports was the final step in the bogie's construction involving heat, so once that had been completed the plastic components could be glued in position using 5 minute epoxy resin.

 

Brake gear and leaf springs

IMG_2649a.jpg.687781a1d74107566ff7b2900d42ee13.jpg

 

The bogie was then sprayed with acid etch primmer to ensure the paint would have a good adhesion to the brass.  I don't like the idea of putting acid etch paint through my airbrush, so used an aerosol can from Autotek https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005JCRF8Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 which seemed to give excellent coverage without masking out any detail.

 

Bogie after priming

IMG_2656a.jpg.ebd2360907ce20bffba1b122c11dcaa5.jpg


The hornblocks and wheels were then fitted back into position, along with the tiny coil springs that provide the bogie's suspension.  

 

Wheels and springs

IMG_2660a.jpg.39ea590683cd6afcebc7f07ee4ea56fd.jpg

 

IMG_2657a.jpg.3ebe96a5e44f1f9d62d456405d5d813e.jpg

 

The bogies were then painted in their final colour with enamel paints.

 

Painted Bogies

IMG_2672a.jpg.7b717225ac25d39d206729204dff4a11.jpg

 

IMG_2669a.jpg.24d7a666c77764e494b0846316565b52.jpg

 

Now the bogies are complete, I plan to make a start on the coach body.  One of the advantages of a plastic kit is that the sides can be painted before assembly of the body.  Painting complex liveries is so much easier if the sides can lay flat on the work bench!

 

Until next time....

 

Best wishes

 

Dave

 

 

  • Like 23
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6


70 Comments


Recommended Comments



Popcorn, candyfloss and peanuts beside the soft and comfy chair, I shall enjoy seeing how you progress this model in preparation for Basingstoke 2020.

 

With interior lighting perhaps?

 

regards, Graham

Share this comment


Link to comment

Thanks Grahame, even I should get it finished by 2020:)

Share this comment


Link to comment

We have built a couple of these bogies in the past and we struggled with folding the diagonals - how did you hold the etch to get the diagonals folded neatly at 90 degree angle?

Share this comment


Link to comment

Yes they are a bit tricky!  I used a thin cut off disc in a Dremel to partially cut through the fold line to weaken it.  Once that had been done it was fairly easy to fold at 90 degrees using two pairs of fine nosed pliers and then strengthen with a fillet of solder.

 

Although a bit of a challenge to construct, they do run beautifully and the springing really helps smooth out the motion through pointwork:)

 

Best Regards

 

Dave

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Share this comment


Link to comment

Looks good so far Dave. The bogies for the 4mm version are also known for being tricky I believe. 

Share this comment


Link to comment

Looking forward to seeing this in service (along with the River class, steam railmotor and S&DJR stock) at Telford.

 

A chap can dream!

Share this comment


Link to comment
6 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Looks good so far Dave. The bogies for the 4mm version are also known for being tricky I believe. 

Thanks Mikkel:)  Yes I built a couple of 4mm versions about 20 years ago in my EM days and they were definitely fiddly even then, not sure my vision would be up to it these days!

 

2 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Looking forward to seeing this in service (along with the River class, steam railmotor and S&DJR stock) at Telford.

 

A chap can dream!

You and me both!:)  I’m itching to build the River, but promised myself I’ll build some coaches first! A Steam Railmotor is definitely on the cards if I can find a decent kit, as is some stock from the S&DJR, M&SWJR and LSWR.  Just need to retire to find time to build it all!

 

2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Drooling in anticipation here too.

Thanks Robin!

  • Like 2

Share this comment


Link to comment

Only jesting of course but having a pair of bogie clerestories will make for a very nice bit of variety in the passenger services.

 

I've been out with the airbrush this afternoon, putting a coat of green onto that Bird.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this comment


Link to comment
19 hours ago, wenlock said:

Thanks Mikkel:)  Yes I built a couple of 4mm versions about 20 years ago in my EM days and they were definitely fiddly even then, not sure my vision would be up to it these days!

 

You and me both!:)  I’m itching to build the River, but promised myself I’ll build some coaches first! A Steam Railmotor is definitely on the cards if I can find a decent kit, as is some stock from the S&DJR, M&SWJR and LSWR.  Just need to retire to find time to build it all!

 

Thanks Robin!

Itching to see the River class build too! And seeing it in action of Sherton!

drduncan

  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
17 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Only jesting of course but having a pair of bogie clerestories will make for a very nice bit of variety in the passenger services.

 

I'd better crack on and get it finished by the end of August then! :-)

 

17 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

I've been out with the airbrush this afternoon, putting a coat of green onto that Bird.

 

Excellent!  looking forward to seeing some finished pics!

 

15 hours ago, drduncan said:

Itching to see the River class build too! And seeing it in action of Sherton!

drduncan

Thanks Duncan! 

 

Until then here's one built from the same kit by Fred Lewis, I'm sure he wouldn't mind me posting a picture of it here:)   What a beauty, I shall be very pleased if mine turns out so well!

 

Fred Lewis River class

DSCF2425.JPG.f091da29994fb328faf303b1c91c80e2.JPG

 

  • Like 6

Share this comment


Link to comment

Look what I've got to build, Dave:

 

You saw the 2-4-0 at RailEx but I've just acquired the Armstrong Goods from Martin Willoughby. It looks to be a lovely kit - has wheels and Portescap included, too.

 

kits.jpg.8e30872489c1eeac75929fa0282034c4.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this comment


Link to comment

Can I ask - are these 4mm scale loco kits? I have been after a M&SWJ Dubs 2-4-0 for years but never encountered one; is that a current or expired kit? Thanks.

Share this comment


Link to comment

It was produced originally (in 4mm scale) by Sutherland Casters. I think it became part of the Nu-Cast empire at some point, although this may all be complete garbage as I have just consumed about ⅓ bottle of Bushmills single malt.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

I remember that Cotswold made one in rebuilt Swindon form but I have always liked the original round firebox look of these engines. Have never seen a kit for those.

Share this comment


Link to comment
2 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Can I ask - are these 4mm scale loco kits? I have been after a M&SWJ Dubs 2-4-0 for years but never encountered one; is that a current or expired kit? Thanks.

It's available again as part of the resurrection of NuCast by Branchlines and South Eastern Finecast (according to the the flyer that came with my recent Branchlines order). Proced £95. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

I've just consumed a quarter of a bottle of Marguerita but I can say with some confidence that the Dubs 2-4-0  is now back available in 4mm from the Nucast/Finecast stud. I bought mine from their stand at RailEx a few weeks ago.

  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
10 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Look what I've got to build, Dave:

 

You saw the 2-4-0 at RailEx but I've just acquired the Armstrong Goods from Martin Willoughby. It looks to be a lovely kit - has wheels and Portescap included, too.

 

kits.jpg.8e30872489c1eeac75929fa0282034c4.jpg

Ooo an Armstrong Goods!  One of my favourite locos:)  Really looking forward to seeing seeing this one built!  There’s something rather lovely about outside cranked  0-6-0’s

  • Agree 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

I've just consumed a quarter of a bottle of Marguerita 

That means you’ve still got 3/4 of a bottle to go!  The perfect way to spend a wet Tuesday night in Wales:)

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
7 minutes ago, wenlock said:

Ooo an Armstrong Goods!  One of my favourite locos:)  Really looking forward to seeing seeing this one built!  There’s something rather lovely about outside cranked  0-6-0’s

 

You'll like this one then:

 

beyer.jpg.877ecdc513d07e42d83acc7465096941.jpg

 

Beyer goods, and a lovely runner, but not sure of the origin of the kit.

  • Like 4

Share this comment


Link to comment
6 minutes ago, wenlock said:

That means you’ve still got 3/4 of a bottle to go!  The perfect way to spend a wet Tuesday night in Wales:)

 

Alas, the previous three quarters were already consumed. Other than that, I couldn't agree more!

Share this comment


Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

 

You'll like this one then:

 

beyer.jpg.877ecdc513d07e42d83acc7465096941.jpg

 

Beyer goods, and a lovely runner, but not sure of the origin of the kit.

That’s rather lovely, anything with a curvey footplate gets my vote!

  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

Share this comment


Link to comment
15 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

 

Alas, the previous three quarters were already consumed!

Life can be very disappointing sometimes!:)

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
7 hours ago, Regularity said:

It was produced originally (in 4mm scale) by Sutherland Casters. I think it became part of the Nu-Cast empire at some point, although this may all be complete garbage as I have just consumed about ⅓ bottle of Bushmills single malt.

 

Always trust your single malt. Mine was from the Nu-Cast range, built by Chris Phillips (sold on now).

 

image.png.3a938d1eeda5487a4ee454ad855601c8.png

  • Like 5

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.