After the passing of the Light Railways Act, in 1896, the Board of the CVMR decided that the workman's trains that many of the locals had been using unofficially should be made official and a greater income therefore be made from them. A Light Railway Order was applied for and soon after various works, including station buildings and the addition of signals and facing point locks were put in hand with the work being completed toward the end of July of 1898. It was passed by B.O.T inspector, Lt. Col. Addison.
The workmans' trains had been run using whatever mineral engine was to hand but for the new service a dedicated passenger engine was obtained. The new engine, a 15"x20" inside-cylindered 2-4-0T, later named Ra, was purchased second hand from it's makers, Messrs. Beyer, Peacock & Co. who overhauled the 20-year old engine prior to it being delivered under its own steam from their Gorton works to Elland.
Unusually, the first train of the new service departed from the top end of the line and after speeches by the Chairman and local dignitaries, the guests and public boarded the train, which broke through a ribbon whilst the local brass band played 'See The Conquering Hero Comes'. On arrival at Elland the guests were taken to a local hostelry where toasts were made to Her Majesty The Queen, The Empire and to the success of the new service.