Thanks to some encouragement from one of my friends this week I got around to trying to layer some additional grass textures on the cutting sides. I used Peco Scene Layering Spray which worked pretty well, it doesn't seem to colour the existing grass but holds the next layer of static grass securely. Getting different lengths and colours of grass fibres makes quite a difference to the overall look.
The pickup goods approaches the overbridge on its way from Clare to Cavendish.
Cambridge bound Cravens DMU crosses over into the loop and heads over the small girder bridge.
The same train pictured from the overbridge, I think the cutting sides look a lot better now we have some additional layers of static grass.
I also managed to get some work done on the coal siding, adding some coal pens and sacks of coal (3d printed from the thingyverse). I need to make some coal scales and a suitable shed.