A minor update on my E1 class - see earlier entries this summer - with the main body colour on:
Initially I sprayed the model with black, then brush painted the olive green. I've had good results with that approach in the past, finding that a good sprayed base coat can provide a basis for a very nice brush-finished top coat, but in this case it was apparent that the quality of the finish wasn't heading in the direction I wanted. Unfortunately the black had gone on with a gritty texture in places, probably because I was trying to eek out the last few squirts from the bottom of the can.
So, out with the stripper. Recently I've found this stuff to be excellent for this purpose:
It can be applied very easily with a cotton bud or similar and is much easier to work into fiddly areas than the thicker type of plastic-compatible stripper
I've used in the past. It also works very quickly, enabling a model to be stripped and repainted in hours rather than needing an overnight treatment. In
this case the body is metal, so (presumably) any paint stripper would have been OK, but I've used this stuff on plastic as well without problems.
With the main mass of paint removed, the body was immersed in an ultrasonic bath just to loosen the last few bits and then cleaned and re-primed
with Citadel Black. Once it had dried, I then airbrushed the main colour, which is Railmatch light olive. More by luck than judgement, this is the
Ashford shade of olive so correct for the SE&CR. However, honesty compels me to admit that it's just the shade I happened to have in stock.
The green went on well but came out too matte, which I think is due to it being over-thinned, so once I was happy with the colour density I then
sprayed a top coat of varnish on, to act as a base for the subsequent lining. Hopefully that'll be the next step.