Hello again, and Merry Christmas
Since the last few updates the project has moved steadily towards the end result, in this update I will be concluding the building of the coaches and
continuing the ongoing job of painting the coaches, which has been ongoing for quite sometime.
Since the first update I was always intending to do Set No. 137A - However, on closer inspection of the 4mm Isinglass drawings that I was provided, I found a problem. Fortunately it's only a historical problem and it's only minor. Essentially the set 137A & 137B were re-marked as 40 I in 1935, interestingly 8 set's were renumbered, with my layout operating from 1935-1938 I could realistically get away with it, but because I am doing the set as of Jan 1st 1938 where all the 2nd class seating was removed and replaced by 3rd class seating.
So the Set number has to change so I can fit with the running theme for the Quint.
So the set number I am going with is the Clayton Works Co. Set No. 106A Built in 1927
Diagram 81 - 1st/3rd Composite - 63122
Diagram 82 - 3rd - 6562
Diagram 83 - 3rd - 63118
Diagram 84 - 3rd - 60060
Diagram 85 - 3rd Brake - 62060
So, with the interesting History out of the way, we can now move to the final parts of the build before we go into full painting mode...
If you are a reader and in fact a follower of the Oxford Rail N7 thread on RM Web then you'll have probably read a few comments asking a few questions regarding the build of this set, fortunately this progress update was going to focus on this subject of all the little bits I've done while focusing on the big bit of the build.
Progress so far...
Since the Last update, I've fitted the buffers, underframe kit, battery boxes, dynamo's and finally the Lighting control at the end of the brake.
So I'll begin with the buffers, a few days after doing the roofs and a general brake from building the coaches, I sat down with a rotary saw/file and steadily filed the buffers down, following the drawings and checking regularly till I met the 4mm profile. This buffers were by Branchlines, because they do not do the exact type used by the Quint I was given the LB&SCR 54ft bogie carriage buffers. But they fit the profile quite nicely and do look the part.
This photo was a trial fit and they are now level on the coaches. - While looking at the ends of the coaches the Pipes are also from Branchlines and are the Coach Westinghouse pipes as these coaches operated on the N7's OR ANY loco fitted with Westinghouse brake gear. (Or so I've been told)
Underframes & Doors
With that completed the following day I received the under frame kit & door handles & grab handles, this was a tricky job. Beginning with the under frame I started with the Coach 1 & 5 this involved the moving the prepared metal work so it did not interfere with the bogies when running. This was also repeated when fitting the battery boxes and Dynamo's to the underside. This taking around an hour I was then able to move onto Coach No.2 , 3 & 4 all rather easy to do but I had to ensure that they did not get in the way of the bogies once more.
Once that had been completed I had the massive job of doing all the door handles and grab handles... Best put simply there are 76 doors on a Quint Art set, which means there are 76 Door handles and 74 grab handles to go on... The only word I can use to describe that is, ouch. This took a long long time to complete!! And has so far been the most unpleasant job I've had to complete thus far.
However being against the resin body they really do look the part, this is even before I thought about doing the lower foot boards.
Electrical Equipment & Vacuum systems
This was perhaps the quickest and nicest job to complete, only involving three pieces from the sprew, I found cutting and gluing these components easy to do, my favorite part was taking some wire and re-creating the mock up for the Butterfly clips (I assume) on the end of coach No.1 leading to the top end of the coach and leading down to the Air system. This involved a bit of wire 0.5 mm and gluing them into place I think it had added a little more detail too the kit.
Coach No.1 - It does look rough at the minute but after some primer and Black paint I don't think many will notice.
Coach No.5 Fitted with the last pieces of detail...Again it does not look pretty but it's there for detail.
The final task, fitting and glueing the lower footboards, this was a little issue which I had to do afterwards, realizing that this was the final job I decided to use platsicard and the same wire which I used on coach No.1 so to ensure that I could put the coaches into primer. This job was very fiddly and annoying to say the least. This involved following the drawings but compromising on minor details so I could allow the bogies to swing on layouts with less than gentle curves. The photo below shows the pieces of metal having been glued and placed onto the sole-bar. Since this point I have fitted the foot-boards.
So ends the construction of the build taking in actual time 30 Day's but more like a Week in total time...But not bad I must say, however this is not the end of the project, I still have the primer coats to go on, painting the inside, painting the Ends, under frame & foot boards into black, paint the sole bar, paint the Teak base coat, paint the final Golden Teak coat...All leading to the transfers...All to look forward too in the next 2/3 parts...
So that concludes this blog till the new year, so a Merry Christmas and a Happy new year, so until next time folks