I've made a fair amount of progress on the B1 chassis since getting a replacement soldering iron from Eileen. Getting the Antex with the slightly more flexible cable option is definitely worth the extra £3. I was finally able to fasten all the bits of the slide bars together and get them fixed into the cylinders. This finally locks the clearance between the back of the cross-head and the coupling rods which is tight given the accurate track gauge. I had to thin down the crank pin nut on the leading axle a bit but it all turned ok in the end.
The drop link off the cross-head consists of 3 pieces of etch none of them larger than a few millimetres in any direction. It took most of an afternoon, no-one can say this chassis kit isn't value for money in terms of hours of 'play value'! The piston castings soldered on surprisingly easily and then I couldn't avoid the cylinder wrappers any longer. I had expected these to be trouble but to my surprise they bent up and soldered on remarkably easily. At the moment the but I should be able to sort that out.
I still have to fit the cylinder covers on the front.
I've started reading the instructions for the rest of the valve gear and can foresee a bulk order for .55mm drill bits to Eileen soon. I just know I'm going to break lots! This bit of etch is 30mm from top to bottom so, as you can see, these bits are not big!
Wish me luck!