Having got the basic shell done I guide coated it in Army Painter “ Skeleton Bone “ intending to use the beige as the base for my mortar tones. This was all I had done when we last saw the buildings in my previous entry.
Most of my painting on this was done at night, since that’s the only time there is peace and quiet in my place since lockdown. One of the key things I was looking to reproduce from the prototype is the very grey granite used on the stonework, vs the more brown “local” stones used on the goods shed and other structures. I have some photos taken when the building was demolished for reference but as I didn’t take them they don’t always have the detail you would want as a modeller.
I tried dry brushing over just the beige primer, but this looked wrong and I ended up with a very dark, slate like finish. Mixing the right grey was proving difficult. To solve my mortar tone problem I used a wash of white acrylic paint, applied over the whole stone work with a broad soft brush. I then rubbed over the surface with a pad of kitchen roll to leave just the “mortar.” I think a white/beige base would have been better so if you make a model of this building be sure to start with white primer. In larger scales I think you would want to tone the mortar down, it’s hard to make out the colour on the prototype but I suspect it was much more flat grey than my paint.
I also wanted to paint the platform stones, they were primed black to give grime between the stones. No amount of careful sweeping by the station staff can get rid of that!
Here it is with the base grey complete.
I treated the roof the same as on the engine shed, it was based with GW “Charadon Granite” which I have stock of, they helpfully changed all their paints making continuity of colours much harder. The dry brush is done a bit unevenly to start the streaking on the tiles. Then darker streaks were added with a damp brush coated in Tamiya weathering powders, just a mix of black and brown. Those were lightly smudged with cotton buds to soften the edges.
The roof lights were dry brushed white then sooty grime added with powders. Window washing is not a priority in wartime!
The beige primer and dry brush residue provides a good base for slightly battered GW door paint. I am sure the local staff kept up the highest standards possible but I can’t imaging the passage of hundreds of extra service personnel and tonnes of stores through the station plus wartime paint shortages did much for maintaining pre war GW paint.
With that in mind I wanted a degree of fading and some subtle variation in the doors. Window frames were just done white, some have dirty corners, particularly ones facing the yard. Doors were painted Precision GW Stone as a base. Once that was dry I dry brushed all the panels with a light stone and a touch of white.
I then mixed a custom slightly pinker GW Dark Stone, as that is what happens when it fades. I left some tonal variation on the palette to add variety to the wear. For example doors under a canopy or on a north facing wall won’t sun bleach as much.
The notice boards were applied after, I used Ratio etched ones for that. No idea where they came from, I had a single etch with just enough on it.
In this photo you can see the dry brushing on the light stone, giving a bit of weathering to the paint finish, and a few chipped areas where the light stone is visible through the dark. GWR used light stone as the base coat so any damage to the dark stone will reveal that before the wood beneath. You can also see my point about the less correct mortar in close up.
Most of this is less visible from viewing distance.
Here it is with glazing added. I have simulated black out paper on the roof lights with a light coat of black paint on the glazing. I am sure this would still have been present in 1943-44 when my layout is set. I have found less evidence for other black out measures like white washed building corners and blacked out canopy skylights. I suspect blackout curtains were fitted to the station but you can’t get close enough to see them in 2mm scale so I left them off.
I put my milk cart and pony down to get a sense of scale on the platform elevation, I think it’s OK.
Next phase is building the canopy and finishing the platform detail painting. I will also be adding ridge tiles.