You might have seen sometime back that I had created a sign sheet with some billboards. To test the theory and the new range of acrylic paints that I had just got I thought I would knock up some billboards and give it a go at painting them.
This was the sort of look I was going for which seem pretty standard with a timber close boarded base. So once again it was out with the balsa wood and marking and cutting
(a base blank marked out with the dims of the posters I had created on the computer)
I scored the timber work into the base of the balsa sheet and then cut out thin strips of balsa to represent the frame around the edge.
(balsa framework fitted)
Finally I cut some thicker balsa strips to stick to the back to represent the support structure.
(balsa structure ready for painting)
Once this was done it was out with the paint. I diluted the black with a bit of water as I wanted to ensure the scoring in the bottom part of the billboard stood out.
Having painted them all black I then went round the boarder in white which some prototypes had.
Having done that I then printed out the adverts. It took a few different attempts to get a good quality at such a small scale.
(a penny for scale)
I was getting impatient (always a bad thing in modelling) and just wanted to get the posters and Jc Decaux label on. Hence the painting was not quite as crisp as I might have got it.
(view of both with penny for scale)
(close up of first. The white paint actually looks a bit distressed due to my rushing it!)
The other advert is my favourite chocolate brand. Hopefully tomorrow I can get round to completing the carpentry on the trestle legs. I will keep you posted
Thanks for reading