I pondered over how to make the six rather large windows and decided to go with the self-adhesive label method. The windows were drawn in pencil on the labels and fixed to the clear glazing before cutting around the panes and lifting out. I sealed the outer edges of the frames with Micro Kristal Klear to prevent them from lifting.
Structurally, the windows on the model support the roof so I needed the glazing to be quite thick. (I studied online photos of lighthouses and have seen roofs atop some very slender window frames with no other apparent means of support. Maybe some lighthouse engineer out there might explain to us how it's done). Fortunately, I had in stock some 0.5mm glazing material called Vivak which comes with thin protective plastic on both sides so it is free of scratches. The only problem is that the windows have to be joined together and the usual glues and solvents won't stick this stuff. After trying various adhesives, I settled on a solvent called Daywat which is actually Butanone, a particularly nasty chemical but with which I have had success in the past when trying to glue difficult plastics. I usually try to avoid this stuff if at all possible. The windows were glued together at the edges, but not attached to the lower roof:
I have also drawn and cut out the hexagonal upper roof, as per the lower roof previously, as well as a smaller hexagon to fit under the roof to locate it to the tops of the windows. These have been glued together and have received a coat of shellac (French polish).
The upper roof was painted and fixed to the top of the windows using Micro Kristal Klear. I left the roof and window unit unattached from the rest of the building in order that it may be removed, if necessary, to gain access to the lamp.
I used a plastic measuring spoon to represent the dome (or cupola I believe the correct term to be) on top of the roof. The handle was been cut off and the resulting lumps and bumps made good with a file and sandpaper. Strips self-adhesive label were used to make the beading on the dome.
The domed roof, or cupola if that is the correct term, was been brush painted using Humbrol enamels. It is supposed to represent copper when it turns that lovely green colour. Reference was made to a picture found on the internet. It has been fixed in place using Revell 'Contacta' liquid glue.
I decided to install a representation of the top of the stairway. A top step was cut from 2mm Greyboard and covered in grey paper from the Scalescenes Dressed Stone sheet. More steps were drawn flat on a piece of card and coloured with Pro-Marker pens and the top step was glued to the end. A small piece of handrail was fabricated from brass wire and attached to the top step thus:
The staircase was stuck in place beside the lamp and is just visible in this picture:
I decided to stray slightly from the Ahern drawing with regard to the weather vane. The one shown on the drawing is not very impressive so I decided to enhance it a bit by making a small ship. The hull was shaped from 60x60 thou plastic strip and the masts were small pieces of wire to which paper sails were attached. The finished ship was painted with Humbrol enamel paint.
And finally, here is the finished lighthouse:
I hope you enjoyed this build.
As always feel free to comment or ask questions.
Thanks for looking.