The bench has been occupied by some non-railway stuff, but back to wagons now. Sheeted wagons tend to be modelled in far fewer numbers than period photos indicate that they were used, so I’m slowly trying to nudge the proportions in the right general direction.
I am still trying to get sheeted wagons to look reasonably right. Having proper tie down cleats and roping from the edge helps, but the sheets themselves really need to look like Caledonian sheets with individual numbers. I have been messing about trying to achieve that, improvement of earlier attempts.
These were created in “Sketchbook” though many similar drawing packages are out there. The use of layers allows me to easily change the sheet number. I spent quite a while messing about with colours and print densities when used with a variety of substrates. The issue is getting something which can be made to conform to the load and still allows a reasonably sharp print, In the end I found that a medium weight matte photo paper gives a reasonable result when treated with photo sealant. It is still fairly still in use, perhaps representing a sheet in new condition.
To get it creased each sheet was scrunched up, then unfolded and folded back up in the correct manner for an unused sheet. Several foldings and unfoldings seem to be required. following that ezline sheet tie loops were added round the edges.
Anyway, thats how they came out. Loads underneath are just softwood hewn to shape, the wagons are a D15 and a D24 made up in my usual way.
Even caught a bit of evening sun in this one.
Ok, next project.