I have now made all four underframes. Perhaps not in itself blogworthy, but I thought I’d share a bit of silly video. No couplings so I can’t pull them round, but with bit of tape to stop the buffer bodies locking I can do a push test. I’m happy with the way they move, the bogies do seem to follow the rail well.
The buffers are made up, but a few tests needed to ensure I get them just where they can spring correctly.
Electric lighting for railway coaches was very new in 1905. Seems a shame not to have a go at some realistic lighting on the models too. There are commercial modules available, but none have the leds spaced to suit either the first or third compartments of this stock. No choice but to make up individual compartment lights. This is what I have come up with, they illuminate a compartment without being over bright from a 3V cell. Just a chip , a 1k 1/8 w resistor in a but of U channel styrene then potted with cyano. Current consumption is 0.5 mA
I have made the first roof up. Effectively half etched brass, so it was gently pressed to shape with various round bars. I am having a hassle with the roof vs the sides length and I have some odd ideas about how I’m going to fix it all together.