Jump to content
I apologise for the additional advertising intrusion on tablets. I am trying to get the relevant parties to fix the situation. ×

Return to exhibiting!


wenlock

866 views

 Share

Well its been a long time coming, but life is beginning to return to some kind of normality after the Covid 19 crisis!  I've had my three jabs, caught the retched virus and recovered, so hopefully I'm full to the brim with antibodies:)  I've really missed going to shows both as a spectator and as an exhibitor, so knowing that exhibitions are once again possible is very pleasing!   I've definitely suffered a lack of modelling motivation over the last year, exhibition deadlines are great way of rekindling enthusiasm and getting some projects finished!

 

I'm thoroughly looking forward to taking Sherton Abbas along to the Uckfield show in a couple of weekends time, I'm sure a good weekend will be had by all:)

 

1637248872_exhibitionposter!.jpg.ab014f9f88cd49730e73e7924001d816.jpg

 

Hopefully the show will be well attended by RMweb members, pop over for a chat if you do come along to the show:)

 

Best Wishes

 

Dave

 

 

 

 

  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2
 Share

22 Comments


Recommended Comments

Good to see you're back on the scene mate, it's a bit too far for me but I hope all goes well, as I am certain it will, and also attract good feedback.

 

ATB 

 

G

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • RMweb Gold

 

3 minutes ago, bgman said:

Good to see you're back on the scene mate, it's a bit too far for me but I hope all goes well, as I am certain it will, and also attract good feedback.

 

ATB 

 

G

 

Thanks Grahame! It's been quite a year, but things are definitely on the up!

 

BW

 

Dave

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Just now, wenlock said:

 

 

Thanks Grahame! It's been quite a year, but things are definitely on the up!

 

BW

 

Dave

 

Hasn't it just ! I'm glad there is some normality returning to your life and modelling, I've been in a similar position myself but started to get back to the workbench.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

Looking forward to it - fingers crossed on petrol! We spoke at Basingstoke in March 2020 - the last weekend before the shutters came down, so it'll be good to see you and the layout again at my first exhibition trip since.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment

Dave, really looking forward to Uckfield - I’m there too with Modbury, so if Edwardian GWR is your thing then it’s going to be a good show :D

Ian

  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Looking forward to it - fingers crossed on petrol! We spoke at Basingstoke in March 2020 - the last weekend before the shutters came down, so it'll be good to see you and the layout again at my first exhibition trip since.

Hi Stephen, yes I enjoyed our chat at Basingstoke, looking forward to seeing you again:)  

 

BW

 

Dave

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Smith said:

Dave, really looking forward to Uckfield - I’m there too with Modbury, so if Edwardian GWR is your thing then it’s going to be a good show :D

Ian

Hi Ian, yes I'm really looking forward to finally seeing Modbury:)  Two Edwardian GWR layouts in one exhibition, the crowds will be at fever pitch!:D 

 

BW

 

Dave

  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, wenlock said:

Two Edwardian GWR layouts in one exhibition, the crowds will be at fever pitch!:D 

 

Let's just hope it doesn't spill over into violence between the reds and the greys.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Funny 5
Link to comment
  • RMweb Gold

Good to hear that you're getting back into the swing of things, Dave. Can I ask how you managed to get the good folk at Sherton Abbas vaccinated? I called our local clinic to enquire but they just hung up :jester:

 

Anyway, I have been admiring the posters in the header photo. My curiosity compels me to enquire what the lady with the broom is advertising - can you recall?

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1
Link to comment

See you there Dave - I have a trade stand. Which is a glorified description of a 6x3 table with some stuff on it!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Mikkel said:

 

 

……Anyway, I have been admiring the posters in the header photo. My curiosity compels me to enquire what the lady with the broom is advertising - can you recall?

 

 

 

I am guessing it is an advertisement for a Ewbank carpet sweeper?
 

I couldn’t see that particular poster but here is an earlier version

 

https://www.advertisingarchives.co.uk/detail/44572/1/Magazine-Advert/Ewbank/1880s

Edited by rprodgers
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, rprodgers said:

I am guessing it is an advertisement for a Ewbank carpet sweeper?
 

I couldn’t see that particular poster but here is an earlier version

 

https://www.advertisingarchives.co.uk/detail/44572/1/Magazine-Advert/Ewbank/1880s

 

I hope Dave will forgive me; I only offer the following because when something is so close to perfection one wants to see it get even closer:

 

It seems to me that the monochrome Ewbank poster is much more in the style of a newspaper or magazine advert rather than an advertising hoarding poster. It has too much writing. Posters designers had learnt by the Edwardian period to use bold images with the minimum of verbage; I'm pretty sure such posters would be in full colour. Unfortunately the earliest Ewbank poster I can find to illustrate this dates from the 1920s or 1930s.  

 

I think the same goes for the Plantol Soap poster. Plantol Soap adverts come in an interesting variety some of which wouldn't pass muster today; others were tending to the risqué. This might be more the thing for station advertising; possibly not this or this.

  • Informative/Useful 3
Link to comment
  • RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Good to hear that you're getting back into the swing of things, Dave. Can I ask how you managed to get the good folk at Sherton Abbas vaccinated? I called our local clinic to enquire but they just hung up :jester:

 


I managed to convince them that Uckfield was a Spa town and that full immersion in the limpid waters were a cure for all, even COVID 19!  Since then they’ve formed an orderly queue waiting to get on the train:)

 

14 hours ago, Mikkel said:

 

Anyway, I have been admiring the posters in the header photo. My curiosity compels me to enquire what the lady with the broom is advertising - can you recall?

 

 

 

Yes it’s a carpet sweeper that relies on bristle covered rollers to flick dust and dirt into a storage compartment. My Grandmother used to have one when I was a child, she obviously didn’t hold with this modern vacuum cleaner nonsense!:D 

  • Funny 1
Link to comment
  • RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Tricky said:

See you there Dave - I have a trade stand. Which is a glorified description of a 6x3 table with some stuff on it!!

Looking forward to seeing both you and the table Rich, I’m sure there will be many tempting goodies on it:)

Link to comment
  • RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

 

I hope Dave will forgive me; I only offer the following because when something is so close to perfection one wants to see it get even closer:


No need for forgiveness Stephen, your insights are always useful and I’m delighted you think Sherton is “close to perfection”:)

 

6 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

 

It seems to me that the monochrome Ewbank poster is much more in the style of a newspaper or magazine advert rather than an advertising hoarding poster. It has too much writing. Posters designers had learnt by the Edwardian period to use bold images with the minimum of verbage; I'm pretty sure such posters would be in full colour. Unfortunately the earliest Ewbank poster I can find to illustrate this dates from the 1920s or 1930s.  

 

The posters I used on the layout were just resized images that I found trawling the internet for “Edwardian Advertisements.”  It’s highly likely that some off these were from period magazines rather than typical station posters. Alternatively we could just assume that colour posters were reserved for the more important places and monochrome was used to save costs in provincial backwaters like Sherton Abbas:)

 

7 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

 

I think the same goes for the Plantol Soap poster. Plantol Soap adverts come in an interesting variety some of which wouldn't pass muster today; others were tending to the risqué. This might be more the thing for station advertising; possibly not this or this.

Definitely not suitable for viewing by the more politically correct members of the public at model railway exhibitions!

  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to comment
  • RMweb Gold

We are there with John Greenwood's Wadebridge and Padstow, looking forward to being out and about again, it's been a long time.

 

Cheers Jerry

  • Like 6
Link to comment
  • RMweb Gold

I'll bring the S&D carriage you helped me with the decals, for Jerry.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • RMweb Gold

Only a week to go to Uckfield - exhibitor's notes were put in the post yesterday.

 

Looking forward to meeting everyone again.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

I'll bring the S&D carriage you helped me with the decals, for Jerry.

You could always bring the rake of 7mm versions along for the weekend as well, Sherton would welcome an S&D excursion train:)

  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to comment
  • RMweb Gold

Always a great show so looking forward to come to it and see the layout again (last time was RAILEX I believe)

 

Will come and say hello Dave :good:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

First time viewing SA in the flesh. 

 

Wow. 

 

Worth the trip to Uckfield. Worth the risks. 

 

Wow again. 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
  • RMweb Gold
Mikkel

Posted (edited)

I enjoyed it too!  There's already a video from the exhibition online, Sherton Abbas is at 30:16 (and Modbury at 6:40). 

 

 

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 8
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...