I am amazingly a little bit ahead of schedule. I am sure this won't last!
A few hectic hours work and another dent in my credit card completed the trackwork in the yard. I also did a temporary goods shed from the metcalfe one. Here's the track, which has all its droppers soldered on and is ready to paint and wire.
It always looks so blocky and clumsy before painting but having seen the work involved I am glad i didn't have to build all those sets of points!
The goods shed is a compromise, I am not going to have time to measure the original and do a proper scale model this year if I want to do the station building properly, so I ordered the Metcalfe one which is too narrow really and clad it in plasticard to get the stonework right. A few chops to the (too short again!) office and its getting there. There is still detail work to do such as guttering, barge boards etc.
There is also the small lean to hut to put on this end that is visible in some of the immediately post war shots which I will assume was there in 1943-44 unless someone out there knows otherwise.
Here is a view from the station throat. Overall I am moderately happy with the results, there are a few gentle dips in places on the board joints but I have run plenty of wagons through these without de-railment so hopefully they should be ok.
I have also got a proper Dapol 55xx to be 5525, which will get a re-paint in wartime black, having discovered my bloody farish Prairie was of the large variety. This should solve the loco shortage. Next I am going to scrub and paint the track and the base colour for the yard, then fix it temporarily and test the wiring.