Apparently, the 22nd of May was the last time I did any modelling (for Calshot anyway). Today I made a start (but didn't get too far) on the construction of the hangar. Because of the tight deadline for the Woodgreen show in May, I was unable to build it properly out of plasticard and so I had to resort to printing off the building as a corrugated texture. I then built the roof and one side roughly out of this paper on the eve of the show!
Now I'm looking to replace it with something more suitable. A couple weeks ago I bought some corrugated asbestos sheeting from the local model shop and today I set to work making a start on the rest of the hangar. The trouble with Wills sheets are that they are very small! Only 13cm x 7.5cm I believe which makes it quite expensive to build a large hangar! I'm debating whether I should use some Slaters sheets for the roof for this reason.
I'm very tempted to eventually have this huge hangar as a fully detailed interior. I can see that this will cost a lot in materials though - the roof trusses are going to be very hard to replicate and bl**dy fiddly I should think!
The other thing I've been building today is the seaplane given to me by the model shop owner. It's a very basic kit and will need some superdetailing (and even detailing if I'm honest!). It did go together well though and suits the location absolutely spot on! I believe the real seaplane won the Schneider Trophy at Calshot.