Further to the backscene crisis I have been undertaking some experiments. My tinkering with GIMP and Paint was getting me nowhere. Enter, Glen, a good friend from School for over 34 years now (an ex rail enthusiast who still has a light flickering for the hobby I think) who offered his photoshopping skills, as that's one of his skills from his profession, who kindly offered to tweak the backscene.
Glen was briefed (from the comments made last entry) to try and keep the clouds strong but to play down the hills and below. Within a couple of hours, 6 subtle options were winging the way back to BCN for trial purposes. Today, I did an A3 test print of each (my A3 colour printed has started to include some evenly spaced lines which is annoying )
I have folded them and attached briefly in place and took a few comparison shots. I have placed the old station building on merely as it has a little more presence then the newer one, but once the backscene is fixed in place I can get back on to the new station building. Obviously at A3 the hills are larger then should be, but I think it gives the feel for them and you can just see the previous backscene in place at the edge by the ramp. What is interesting is that the on screen images looked a lot darker then when printed out. So here goes, a few shots of each modified by Glen and below placed in context. I would be grateful for any comments received and whilst opinions may vary, I will take a decision quite soon as I do not wish the completion of the layout to become a saga...as is often the case...
In other news, the water has been repainted and I have now applied about 6 separate layers of Humbrol gloss varnish. I think I am happier with the effect and will keep adding the layers and then return back to the wall to dry brush some further detail and tidy up loose edges.
That's all folks...
Further to all the comments below, this morning I test printed option 1 again, but this time on A4 paper. Despite the quality of the print, this gives more sky available and I have placed on the layout after cropping the bottom 50mm off the bottom to give more sky/clouds which results in the loss of the water. This was inevitable as keeping the water compromises the sky etc...
I attach the test print in place and I think I will get it reprinted tomorrow actual size (700mm long) at the copyshop, which will result in better quality.
I also slid it along the length and tucked in behind the ramp...I think this goes to demonstrate that once the low level shots with rolling stock are undertaken, the backscene may disappear even further...