Easter this year in the Adams Household had been quite a quiet affair. For a change I didnt have anything planned so I took it as a oppertunity to relax, especially as April this year is quite a busy one. As a result, apart from numerous easter eggs being consumed I did a bit of modelling for Highclere...
The best bit for me was the oppertunity to get a little more done on Highcleres yard crane. As some of you might remember from an earlier post I got the jib and a few extra bits etched recently and made a start building it at this years Ally Pally exhibition. Well the results above are the results of spending today tinkering away with it. I could have done it the sensible way and spent the time wisely drawing up the extra bits I needed ready to get etched but being a little impatient I decided to make them myself with my own fair hands and above is the result.
The numerous covers and casings were made from a mixture of thin Nickel Silver sheet and 0.4mm square rod (from my point rodding), the pulleys were made from bits of brass tube and various brass washers, and the base from a bit of plasticard sheet and tube. There is still more to add to this, especially as I am still trying to decipher the works drawings (what do all those gears do!?!) but with the help of Mr Stationmaster and a couple of very useful pictures lead me to what you see above. Sadly though there are still some bits which need to be etched as they are a little too fiddly to carve out of solid, so I might have to wait a little longer until I can finish this off properly. It looks a little bit more like a yard crane now though.
I have also been plodding on with the point rodding for the layout too. This weekend saw me finish off assembling another 2ft of rodding complete with stools as you see above. This is another one of those labourious tasks that have to get done and its a little scary to think that it took me around 2 days (on and off) to get 2ft done. Thinking about it each foot length has approximately 75 individual point rodding stools, each one individually soldered onto the bar! At least I have found that the resistance solder unit makes the job much easier as I dont have to pre-tin the rodding before soldering the stools to it. There is still plenty more to make but this weekends work now means I can finish off one board ready for ballasting..