Our Picks

Top content from across the community, hand-picked by us.

Doncaster Exhibition Centre
Racecourse, DN2 6BB

Layout and trade details to follow.
  • 0 replies

Last year I was given the irresistible opportunity to weather up some of the brand new Accurascale MHA 'Coalfish' wagons, and now that they've been shared as part of the recent Accurascale 'World of Railways' coverage and featured on their weathering blog, it seemed the time was right to share a few more gratuitously dirty wagon pics here!
    • Friendly/supportive
    • Round of applause
    • Craftsmanship/clever
    • Interesting/Thought-provoking
    • Informative/Useful
    • Thanks

Preparing the engine for the day's work. Brookfoot, Summer 1928.

• Craftsmanship/clever

Copper Wort
Alexander Copper and James Wort were merchant brewers in Burton-on-Trent before 1835.  But within 10 to 15 years both the partners had passed away. Their descendants formed a public limited liability company in the late 1880's. Copper Wort & Co. Ltd.  The company was later bought out and was amalgamated in 1910 with a larger company.  Our period modelled of the early Edwardian 1900’s is perfect as that was the high point of the brewing industry in Burton on Trent, extremely busy with the bigger breweries establishing their potential with the Midland Railway network with the smaller breweries muscling in between them.

To add substance to what is essentially a little known small brewery company and make it work for a round and round layout I have given it a few of its own 0-4-0 locomotives to support the larger Midland Railway locomotives running through the town and includes a track plan based on Worthington’s arrangement to accommodate the numerous Midland Railway and Great Northern open wagons and outside framed Midland Railway vans. The buildings are based on the those of Bass, Ind Coope, Trumans and others, all based in and around Burton on Trent, some of which is still there today even though the railways have long gone.

It is being built to 4mm scale OO gauge on a hexagon shaped 6 board arrangement (4 feet length per hex outside edge) and is about 1/3 size of my previous layouts. The track plan is a continuous round and round run with lots of shunting and sidings. 4 of the boards contain the complete brewery process. The 5th board is the High Street crossing with shops and houses with the track running between buildings, and the 6th is a small fiddle yard.  Most of the stock will therefore be out front.

Assistance and advice has been gleaned so far from various people including Joe Stamper from Burton and the National Brewing Centre also at Burton. Boards constructed by Col Stark and we are currently under way with construction of the buildings together with the DCC electrics designs.
  • 199 replies

Some shots in the dark.
It was gloomy yesterday so I turned the layout lights on and tried running a few trains in the dark. Daft, but oddly fun.

Anyway, a few random pics of variable quality. The station in general, I need to lightproof the roof more next time it is off.

This is a lucky pic. I cant really see the from of the station building so its just done by point the camera at the mirror on the end of the layout and hoping. The resultant image is then reversed in preview.

Through a window. Atmospheric, a bit.... 

• Friendly/supportive
    • Round of applause
    • Craftsmanship/clever
    • Agree
  • 31 replies

Happy New Year

So lets have some content, showing what I've been working on over the last couple of weeks. First is a slight deviation from the goal of a working crane lorry, courtesy of my old Scania crane lorry with the working ramps - which has pretty much been in its box ever since I built it because it never really drove very well without a load on the back. So I thought I'd recycle it, as I had several uses for the components. I used the bed with the working ramps, the flashing orange beacon and the receiver, to create a beavertail lorry on the Mercedes chassis - and the flatbed from the Mercedes plus the rear wheels from the Scania to make a drawbar trailer. Got all that?

Here I am testing it with a hastily-put-together loading ramp and my Network Rail Land Rover Defender:

then I had steering axles and the proper 7mm German motor/gearbox left over, so I used them to finally finish the Scania fire engine I'd had for a while:

I've also made another Transit van, this time in the instantly recognisable DPD livery, excellently reproduced by Shedring Hobbies:

• Friendly/supportive
    • Craftsmanship/clever

PEPPA PIG AND THE SPOILT BREAKFAST
Daddy Pig was sat at the breakfast table hidden from view by the latest edition of the “Porcine Gazette”, house journal of the Hogs’ Own Guild, or HOG for short. From behind this august publication there emanated a succession of grunts, squeaks and snorts of indignation.

• Friendly/supportive
    • Funny
    • Craftsmanship/clever
    • Informative/Useful
  • 48 replies

Post in Class 305 (AM5) EMU
Window glazing fixed in place.

Interiors next.

Cheers

Darius
    • Craftsmanship/clever

Thanks Gordon
What is the website they're referring to?
These things fascinate me, I've yet to see a satisfactory trigonometric description of the Toplis principle,  and I might well look up those records.

Because I model French railways I'm unlikely to need a model of an  actual Stothert and Pitt high speed level luffing crane but it would be good to see them appearing on more dockside layouts as they are very evocative
For me a large dockside crane would be more likely to be a horsehead but they are very large so I'd probably be more likely to use something like this

Though this image is from the first decade of the 20th Century, these self propelled steam cranes were still in use in the cargo ferry area of Dieppe's Gare Maritime until the mid 1950s some years after the passenger terminal had been equipped with a couple of large electric horsehead cranes. Their tracks, though apparently SG, were entirely separate from the actual railway lines.

Next couple of months will be boring since I’m wanting to fully finish the 120ft fiddle yard by then.
Thought I’d break with tradition and paint the track as I go along..

Just hundreds of droppers to connect to the bus wires, thank goodness for scotchlok connectors! 

• Friendly/supportive

Recently I purchased a box of railway ephemera from the estate of a deceased enthusiast who seems to have been a teacher in the Cambridge area. However, he seems to have travelled far and wide in the 1950s and 1960s, taking his camera with him. I have spotting notes, a few logs of travel details, and photos of locos seen on shed at various locations around Britain. 

Unfortunately, the writing in the notebooks are in pencil and seem to have faded a little making easy identification of all the numbers a little tricky. Not only that, but most of the photos are not captioned at all which doesn't help matters. However, there are a number of images from 1954 and the first of those digitised so far are from South Wales. 
  • 11 replies

Shwt
Situated around the sand and gravel pits of tewksbury, Shwt was a small station stop and goods yard on a previously busy double track LNWR line. Modelled around the mid 1960s, the line in recent years has fallen upon hard times, converted to single track some time ago, the line beyond Shwt crossing has now succumb to the Beeching axe. With the closing of this line, Shwt lost it's passenger traffic and owes survival to the sand loading platform constructed next the old engine shed. The only trains to reach Shwt now are mixed goods trains which supply the small coal merchant, the goods stores and the sand loading. As typical for the 1960's Shwt is occassionally the destination for railtours exploring old lines
  • 262 replies

On Shenston Road. Some recent photos.
Having been asked on a few different threads to show some more of D1047s stock, I thought I'd start up this topic to show some of the locos and stock I've photographed over the years. Some of my earlier attempts are a little crude. (I shall blame the camera) but in recent years, and with a better camera I've been improving somewhat.
Anyway here are some to start the ball rolling.
A general, (slightly out of focus) view of the station at Shenston Road.
Moving on the station holding sidings. Sorry didn't note down the loco numbers.
Cl45 No102 runs through the station whilst Cl47 1674 waits in the goods loop.
Cl22 D6327 waits in the down platform at Shenston Road.
D1028 runs through Shenston Road from the Birmingham Snow Hill direction.
Stroke of luck as D1028 is caught between the hordings from a passing bus.
Well that's a start. I'll add more as time and photography permits.
Paul J.
  • 392 replies

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day
It's a while since I've posted many photos, so I thought it is time to have a new ongoing thread.  The photos were, as usual, all taken by either Dad or I from  the early 50s to the present day.  The quality will vary depending on the condition of the original slide, the camera and film used.  I'll try to avoid ones I've used before.

Some are taken from my sets on flickr, others are ones I am still working on having scanned some years ago.  The locations will probably be fairly random.

Other threads of my photos include:
Dad's black and white photos:
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69274-dave-f-more-photos-added-21-june-from-1947-to-1955ish/

This is a newish thread covering France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Denmark etc (or at least it covers bits of them!):
http://www.rmweb.co....-19th-may-2015/

A short thread:
http://www.rmweb.co....h-january-2014/

My own black and white photos:
http://www.rmweb.co....-30th-december/

I'll start today with a few from the Lune Gorge etc and Shap.

Dillicar troughs LMS Class 5 down goods Aug 65 J308.jpg
298.2 kB

Low Gill Class 47 Manchester to Glasgow April 68 J1265.jpg
253.93 kB

Beckfoot Class 50 D402 Euston to Glasgow, work on M6 in background April 68 J1258.jpg
342.69 kB

Beckfoot Class 50 D405 Glasgow to Manchester April 68 J1264.jpg
307.92 kB

Greenholme 37379 & 37373 down cement 24th Aug 90 C15316.jpg
342.94 kB

David

• 27,255 replies

Copenhagen Fields
Thought I would start a thread on the MRC 2mm layout.

• 1,360 replies

A Touch of Giles Indeed!
Simond had it spot on in his comment on my last post - I guess the glimps of a roller bearing was a clue. A very new departure here and a pretty steep learning curve but made much easier by some good advice from Giles and Pikey on the RC thread - if you have not already guessed the Foden is now Radio Controlled. Although a bit of an indulgence for the current layout, as in real life, the Foden will eventually be demobbed and will feature large in a new post war creation. There was a rather lengthy wait while some motor options were shipped from China but who can complain at the prices, This was actually quite useful as I was able to complete all the slightly tedious detailing and even spent three evenings recreating the wheels which I was going to use from the kit but a) found they were not particularly round and b) I can now say it is totally scratch built. So here it is with painting and weathering still a work in progress;

The radio control is now fully working but it has been a bit of a nightmare as constantly taking things in and out has meant a series of broken wires and conections but now everything is in place I hope that is at an end. In the next pictures you can see the steering servo neatly in place in the fire box and all the other gubbins in the water tank. Power comes from an Ipod LiPo battery under the rear a  2mm worm and gears I found on Ebay perfectly. The only downside is that at 90rpm it is a bit too slow. I bought a second one so may experiment with fitting the shaft to a higher reving gearbox but just happy that the thing moves for now!

Next thing of course is that I have to create a body but I have an idea for that. I did do a video of it moving on the layout but can't seem toget it off my phone at the moment so until I have overcome yet another bit of technology you will have to put up with some pics on the layout;

I can see great potential in this RC thing and have several more projects in mind and have even bought in several parts to experiment with getting a 20hp Simplex on the move. Oh, did I mention that it is completely scratch built?
    • Craftsmanship/clever
  • 3 replies

Here’s a summary of my recent 'experiments' (a.k.a. mucking about) with Modelu and other 4mm figures, and how to store them.

I have previously modified figures from the Andrew Stadden, Dart Castings and Preiser ranges. So obviously, the Modelu range had to suffer too!  The resin used in these figures cannot be bent (it will break), but clean cuts with a scalpel worked OK. Joins were sanded, fixed with superglue and smoothed out with putty. Not everyone will think it’s worthwhile, but I find it relaxing and you get quick results. 
    • Craftsmanship/clever
    • Informative/Useful
    • Thanks
    • Agree
  • 25 replies

Little Muddle
Well after much nudging and prodding I have decided to add Little Muddle to this forum.

The layout was started as a permanent one in our forth bedroom back in Jan 2009 as an 'L' shaped layout around two walls and then in July 2013 the next section was added to give a 'U' shape.
    • Friendly/supportive
    • Round of applause
    • Craftsmanship/clever
  • 18,151 replies

Peterborough North
Several people have asked if there is to be a replacement for Peterborough, well, yes there is. Why did I tear that up? Several reasons. The loft location was the main one. I'm not getting any younger, and I suspect I won't be any more mobile than I am now in a few years time, so access via ladder is only going to get more difficult. Next is the usual loft problem in that it is cold in winter and very hot in summer.Too many excuses for an idle old ****** like me not to go up there.
    • Informative/Useful
  • 37,996 replies

ROSSPOP`S 7MM GWR RAILWAY ARCHITECTURE MODELLING
ROSSPOP`S 7MM GWR RAILWAY ARCHITECTURE MODELLING
  • 1 reply

Bath Queen Square
Just to complete the trilogy of threads I thought I should start one on the oldest of my layout projects, over twenty years but not touched for large parts of that, Bath Queen Square.
Best known as Green Park but only carrying that name for the last fifteen years of its life, Queen Square has always, for me, been the perfect prototype. It is essentially an extremely compact and attractive two platform branch terminus with an enormous variety of stock, whichever period is chosen - in my case the decade or so after WWI, till the SDJ lost its independence in 1930.
Since building a new workshop which is big enough to house the project around the walls it has gained a bit of momentum but is still only moving at a snails pace so don't expect loads of updates. The main station buildings were built about 20 years ago along with a plastic version of the overall roof but that was never finished and is now being replaced by a new one using some 'scratch aid' etches from Bill Bedford and a host of extras from brass strip and shim which is proving to be a marathon in its own right.
Anyway, I will start the ball rolling with a few shots of the main station board, and a couple of the train shed roof which is currently under construction.

Jerry
    • Craftsmanship/clever
  • 2,188 replies

Burton On Trent in N2
So, Millers Dale is mothballed at the mo and the likelihood of me getting the garden workshop built and finished this year is pretty much a pipe dream of epic proportions therefore getting MD back up and running is sadly a year or two down the line. Now I am a hands on modeler and keeping my butt firmly clamped onto my hands modelling wise makes for a grumpy Cav therefore I need something to do until I have the space to build MD. Cue Burton on Trent. Looking for somewhere in the midlands that realistically is able to provide a scenic backdrop to the N gauge stock that I am building up for MD I inadvertently looked at Burton. The trackplan is simple yet with its small PW yard to the east provides mainline running, station activity and shuntiness into and out of the PW yard. It has what I need. Its also a real place so fits my new found love for modeling real locations. There are issues though but a quick flash of my modelers licence to the authorities should take care of that.

First up is compression, although the real location translates to approx 9ft in N its still too large for what I have in mind so the squishometer has been broken out of storage and used to reduce the trackplan into a 6ft scenic section. It has worked ok but will require slight shortening of some services i.e. 6 coach HST set for example. I'm pretty happy to do PC, TGS, TS, TS, TS, RB, TF, PC though to be honest.

Secondly, Shobnall Road bridge. The bridge to the south of the station was built somewhere between 1988 and 1993 but not sure when. As my stock is 1988 based this could be an issue however to provide a scenic break I MUST model it. I can pretty much get away with all of my stock except for the class 45 however if I set the layout to span the period 1988 to 1993 then I can run all my stock and just use the old modelers licence for the bridge.

Thirdly the Silos in the adjacent yard. These also went sometime between 1988 and 1993. I don't need to model these really but would be nice to have them. I just need to know whether the bridge existed together with the Silos and if so I'll put them in. If not they are gone!

Fourthly, The signal to the south before Shobnall road. This is a later addition as the signal was originally just beyond the bridge albeit the same design. This was moved after 1993 but I wonder if it would be better to put it in for interest sake. I do like a signal! Without it there will be no signals on the layout at all.

Anyway here's the templot, it will be handbuilt track to the standard I will use on MD. The scenic section is 6ft long and the return curve boards are 350mm x 3ft to get the tracks to the rear 6ft long traverser.

Comments as always welcome.

• 1,419 replies

Blueball Summit
Hello everyone. This thread is about my current model railway project which I am working on.   It is an N gauge layout based on a completely fictitious location somewhere on the main line in Devon during the 1970's and early 1980's.
The overall size of the layout is going to be 14 feet by about 4.5 feet but the scenic section  is ten feet in length by eighteen inches and simply features a double track line passing through, together with one end of an ‘up goods loop’  and an engineers or refuge siding on the ‘down’ line. The only other pointwork on the scenic section is a trailing crossover.
The layout is intended as a ‘watch the trains go by’ layout with trains generally running in fixed formations with permanent close couplings.
 A few magnets have been laid under the track in strategic places to facilitate some very limited shunting in the future. This is my first venture at this scale, having previously modelled in 4mm.
 I think it’s still an experiment for me, the reason being the desire for longer trains in a spacious environment. Well, that’s the theory!
The trackwork is Easitrack from the 2mm Society and the pointwork has been built in copperclad to N gauge.
This picture was taken out in the garden last October while I was spraying the track and gives an idea of the kind of feel that I have in mind for the layout.

This is a plan of the scenic section of the layout, built on two baseboards of 5feet by 18inches.

These next two pictures were taken last week and show the current status of the layout. I have always fancied the idea of trains emerging from a tunnel and passing almost immediately over a fairly large viaduct. The tunnel mouth itself is about six inches in from the end of the scenic section.

Looking in the other direction, towards the station area. The platforms will actually be quite short. Probably just dmu's stopping. The main running lines are in the centre of the picture and  in the background is the goods loop which passes behind the station but without a platform face.

Many thanks for looking. Will post a bit more if people are interested.
  • 529 replies

Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.
Hi all,
This is a continuation of my layout thread from the old RMweb. If this is your first visit I will give you a brief idea of what I am trying to do.

Llanbourne is in my interpretation of North Wales in the mid 80s. In my mind I have imagined that Llandudno and Llandudno Jct do not exist, but Llanbourne does and is a through terminus. Trains arrive and run round or in the case of Inter-City trains have a loco change.
I try and run trains typical of what was running in North Wales during late 1985 to mid 1987. I have also borrowed a few trains which allows me to run the occassional class 37 on passenger, and a daily oil train hauled by 20s borrowed from central Wales. Llanbourne isn't long enough to run freightliner trains but most other trains can be seen including one of my favourite loco classes, the Peaks, on Trans- Pennine workings.

At the moment I am building an extension, though in the last week or so I have been doing a bit on my workbench. some points arrived today so hopefully I can get some more work done. I thought I had finished track laying but I managed to break a point, I have also worked out that I can add a crossover before the junction, Beast66606 mentioned this on the old thread and at the time it didn't work due to the curve being to tight but since then I have eased out the curves and now have the room. It just means I have to pull up some track.

Here are a couple of pictures of Llanbourne.

Cheers Peter,
  • 6,324 replies