Jump to content

Ray H

RMweb Gold
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

2,581 Excellent


About Ray H

Profile Information

  • Location
    Milton Keynes

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Ray H

    Little Muddle

    And still the crate stays on the lorry!
  2. Thanks for that. I have removable loads on my OO layout and don't always remember that! The problem with the O gauge "layout" is that there's no fiddle yard as such - the sector plate whilst partially hidden is part of the puzzle - and the wagons can be shunted from one siding to another so load removal/adding generally has no discreet place. I like the idea of simply sheeting the open wagons although there again it is unlikely that the sheet would be replaced over an empty wagon. There again, a folded sheet in an otherwise empty wagon could convey an "await
  3. Thanks for the responses. The reason for asking is that my 7mm layout is currently best described as nothing more than a glorified large shunting puzzle. However, I'd like to give it some (slim) credence. At the moment there's a mix of vans and open wagons and whilst it is impossible to determine whether a van is loaded or not, moving empty wagons around seemingly needlessly grates a bit with me (as indeed it would if the open wagons always had the same load). Consequently I was thinking of replacing the open wagons with a varied selection of vans and wondered whether p
  4. How were flat wheels/tyres dealt with on four wheeled freight vehicles of days gone by? Were the wheels removed/replaced locally or were the vehicles sent somewhere to have the correct wheel profiles restored without removing the axle from the vehicle?
  5. Is there a correct way round for the levers?
  6. I can vouch for that. A couple of weeks ago a colleague's class 40 diesel started seriously misbehaving. I was able to compare the loco's then CV settings/values with those we'd recorded some while ago and spot the differences. Six we knew about, the seventh we didn't. We reset that CV's value and the loco was back to its old and valued ways.
  7. I believe all v4.0s have the function (and possibly the v3.5s as well. Unfortunately I can't remember off-hand which CV it is that sets it up. I'll check that out and let you know next time I'm on here if nobody else has beaten me to it.
  8. More thoughts/comments. The PowerCab itself shows you which speed step you are on - which in turn depends on what speed range you've got it set up for i.e. 14, 28 or 126 speed steps. Neither Cab06 option has that feature so there's an element of guesswork required as to which step the Cab06 is set to - and it's an even bigger guess on the Cab06 model without the knob travel limitations. I see nobody has mentioned that you can select a loco and set any functions on or off that you wish using the PowerCab and then transfer control of that loco to another cab i.e. the Cab0
  9. The Cab06 comes (or did when I bought one) in two forms. The digital and the analogue versions. One has a centre off position on the knob the other just goes round and round so it is difficult to know when you're at zero. Unfortunately I can't recall which is which. the young modeller may find the centre off position better. The Power Supply Unit (PSU) that comes with some/most UK PowerCabs is often a 13.8 volt supply whereas the PowerCab will operate with a 15 volt supply and deliver a higher track voltage. Some dealers will supply the higher voltage supply. You don't
  10. I think my colleague has some N gauge rail in stock so we'll give that a try to start with. Thanks for all the other responses.
  11. My colleague has a large part of his O gauge layout in the garden. The points are servo operated with the servos mounted in buildings on plastic to keep them out of the weather. Several servos can be in a single building with the consequence that the points each servo operates can be some distance away from the building. We started by using Nickel Silver wire in plastic tubes to keep the wire fairly rigid. However, we are finding that the small amount of Nickel wire that is exposed at each end of the tubes is too flexible with the result that the servos don't always throw properly.
  12. That might have been how it happened. Anyway, resetting the consist number to zero has fixed the problem. I just need to remember that's what needs to be done should the loco behave oddly again.
  13. I've managed to locate a set of the loco's LokProgrammer data from last year and compared the two. There are 6 differences. % are expected as we have changed a few CVs more recently. The sixth is it currently has a value of 255 in CV19 which contains the Consist Address. I'm about to head back to the LokProgrammer and change that CV's value back to 0 which is the value that it previously had and is also the default value for the CV. I'll report back.
  14. My colleague has had a working perfectly Heljan O gauge class 40 fitted with LokSound v4 decoder for a fair while. Within the last couple of days it has failed to respond to any attempt (using an NCE PowerCab/SB5 ) to control it. Instead its sound and lights come on immediately it is placed on his layout and it does beggar all else whilst it stays on the layout. It behaves the same if placed on a test track powered by the PowerCab. It does exactly the same on my test track connected to the laptop via a LokProgrammer. However . . . . . The LokProgrammer can (
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.