Jump to content

Ian Morgan

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

2,926 Excellent


Profile Information

  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I understand your frustration. It took me 25 years before I had steam locos running how I wanted. During that time I had to make do with re-wheeled diesels, and a couple of steam locos with Niel Ballantine replacement wheelsets that ran OK at speed in the background, but were not suitable for shunting.
  2. Filling the gaps with Milliput is a pain to do, but well worth the effort.
  3. It's a very personal decision, and I understand some people get very angry when photos thay post get used by others, not even acknowledging who took the photo, but for me, railway modelling is a hobby that I enjoy, and I am happy to help anyone without expecting reward or acknowledgement. Personally, if I did look to make money out of what I do, it would no longer be a hobby, and would become a chore. So far, I have managed not to succumb to buying a 3D printer, although I do create models to be printed. As prices fall, it becomes harder to resist, but I know I would spend all my f
  4. If you get the Google Translate phone app, point the camera at the PDF (on screen or printed) and it will have a good go at translating it.
  5. It looks like a Google Streetview image stitching problem rather than a spelling mistake. You sometimes get very odd shaped cars, etc in Streetview.
  6. Jerry, I am not sure any of the available packages include a 'tap it with a hammer' function that you might want to use.
  7. It's a nice 3D Print from Smart Models. https://www.smartmodels.co.uk/fg07---postman-and-post-box.html
  8. I find that the fine detailing bits and pieces take an inordinate amount of time and effort. I am currently working on a small area of Freshwater yard, at the eastern end, beyond the coal depot building. I have not found any photos of this area, so it is my imagination running wild here. I have a mixture of white metal, plastic, etched brass 3D printed and bits of card and plastic card, some of which are in the photo. I have modified, and added detail where necessary, and produced my own transfers. The Shell logo is correct for the period 1948-1955, but reduced to this size, it looks the same
  9. Dips in the middle where puddles could form would definitely be frowned upon. They should be pulled taut.
  10. The Mumbles Railway electric vehicles were big - and not called 'trams' by the locals. There used to be the front end of one (No 7) in the Swansea Waterfront Museum but there is no mention of it on the museum website now.
  11. Yes, if the guard had seen the signal go back to danger before he had passed it, he would be rapidly applying his brake.
  12. Not specific for your scale, but I was looking at some expensive wooden carry cases from a now defunct german company Mossmer. Then I worked out the value of the stock I was then carrying around in plastic carrier bags. I purchased three. Thirty five years later, they are still doing their job. Also, I found the manufacturers boxes too fiddly, and caused more damage than the closed foam slots in the trays of the carry cases. So, my advice, spend good money on good quality stock boxes, it will be worth it.
  13. The coach numbers on these were individual digits from Fox Transfers. Apply on a gloss surface (use what used to be called Johnson's Klear, now called Pledge Multi-surface? it is a cheap way of buying what is actually acrylic varnish). I use a fine paintbrush and a cocktail stick to poke the transfers around. You can get special transfer slide and fix solutions (e.g. MicroSol and MicroSet) which might be of assistance. I completed numbering one side of all four coaches in a single evening. The wording was done on another evening, and was obviously simpler. Finish with a matt varnish spray.
  14. It's the 'child-proof' caps on jars that is the real killer. Plain caps give you half a chance.
  15. This is the ex-NLR 4 compartment First that ended up on the Isle of Wight (one compartment was down-graded when it arrived on the island). In Freshwater, Yarmouth and Newport Railway ownership it retained its varnished teak livery, with the company Garter in the middle of the coach side. The body is from Etched Pixels. The body sides and roof are a single 3D print, including door handles and grab rails. I have mounted it on the correct David Eveleigh chassis. The beading is a bit too pronounced, but I can live with it. I initially fitted glazing behind the window cutouts, but I hav
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.