Jump to content

Derekl

Members
  • Content Count

    360
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

287 Good

Profile Information

  • Location
    Burgess Hill, West Sussex

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Thank you - that is very helpful. I have hesitated to remove the cross members as I was concerned that it might affect the integrity of the bogie. I have instead removed material from the cross member to try to avoid the coupler box, but it is fiddly and a bit hit and miss. Your experience suggests I was being unnecessarily cautious.
  2. Gilbert - did you remove the cross member on the bogie of the FB to allow clearance for the bogie swing behind the coupler pocket. If so, did it have any effect on the rigidity of the bogie?
  3. Parkin says that the Mk1 SKs (which were TKs until 1956, when third class was abolished) were designed with compartments seating 6 with armrests down and 8 with armrests up. Reservation numbers were on the basis of 3 a side, 6 in the compartment. The initial stock had notices asking that the armrests be lifted to seat 4 a side in crowded conditions. This was apparently not very effective (that is a surprise), but in any event, the Southern and Western regions wanted the stock to seat 4 a side as routine as they anticipated loads that would require it. Stock for those regions were 4 a side or
  4. The Brighton line 4 CIG units (or class 421) had three first class compartments in the driving trailers plus a single standard class (if I remember correctly). They were withdrawn in 1993.
  5. That was more or less my thought when I noticed the phenomenon, but that is about as far as I have got in dealing with it. The fact that the OP has a similar problem to mine with much the same equipment reinforces that thought.
  6. Possibly a different multimeter. I have a short circuit protection device, I think from NCE. I will run some proper tests as to current draws sometime soon, although 0.7 amps for two locos and trains sounds similar. I don't have any gradients at present.
  7. I have also not noticed the Powercab taking more than 1 amp - it may have done so when I was not looking. My problem is similar - two modern locos run fine, add an older loco (it is a chipped Lima 37) and everything slows down. One modern loco plus the Lima has a lesser effect, but it seems to be there, although it has to be said that it is difficult to detect fairly small variations is speed. I am still at the construction stage (or would be if I could get Peco points and track), but there is sufficient for a continuous run in each direction, so I have not yet worried unduly. Th
  8. I have a similar problem to the OP, in similar circumstances. Two modern locos run fine, but older (chipped with Hattons chips) seem to cause a slow down. I also have the NCE with the power supply as described above - the 13.8v (I thought 2 Amp, but may be wrong). I had not really got around to losing much sleep on the issue at this stage, although I checked track voltage with a multimeter (off load) and got 12.5v well away from the track supply location and (curiously) 12.4v adjacent. It occurred to me that it may have something to do with the 13.8v supply being a little mean, as the thoughts
  9. It is on the sister site - World of Railways, so I suppose recent advice, although I was aware of it. I see Cascamite is freely available. I thought of using it on the basis that it would not have the noise transfer properties of solid PVA. More on topic, although I am not sure if it helps: indoors here is 20 degrees, 49% RH, outside 10 degrees, 72% RH, in my shed 8 degrees, 63% RH. I have an oil-filled heater in the shed, but am not using it at present.
  10. Recently I have seen suggestions for using powdered Cascamite mixed with ballast, placed in position and lightly sprayed with water. Seems like a good idea, but I haven't had a chance to try it. I have fixed track with PVA and placed weights (books) on top to hold in position while setting. The rails tarnish, but the tarnish wipes off the surface leaving no contact difficulty and the sides of the rail are effectively darkened.
  11. It is actually £43,000 to start investigating the possibility of opening the line. I think it is one of 85 such schemes, some with possibility, others a lot less so.
  12. Well, that is not going to be prototypical signalling - can't you put it on a control panel or on a panel attached to the side of the layout adjacent to the junction?
  13. It occurs to me that looking at a photograph differs from looking at the actuality. It may be that the lack of ballast isn't readily apparent when looking at a photo, but is more so when seeing it "live", as it were.
  14. Reading the original story in Toy News, I note that he consultant is appointed to try and develop the Scalextric brand name. Other thna as owner of that brand, there is no reference to development of the Hornby badge. (Possibly because it is already being done, as reported above).
  15. I rode in a daytime relief train from Dundee to King's Cross (presumably originated Aberdeen) at the end of Easter 1976. The coach in the loco-hauled set was a porthole painted blue and grey - I recall that I was surprised to see such stock at that date. The relief ran about 10/15 minutes ahead of the service train - I also recall the very young lad with mother in the seat opposite was distraught at riding in such an old train, rather than waiting for the regular service. My suggestion that he could ride in new stock anytime, but that this was historic didn't impress him
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.