Jump to content

SonOfMike

Members
  • Content Count

    150
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

560 Good

2 Followers

Profile Information

  • Location
    : Solihull
  • Interests
    American railroad modelling, beer, curry, guitars, steam powered things (but not kettles). Not necessarily in that order.

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I have decided that I am not going to pursue this any further and therefore will not be completing the diorama or entering the competition. I just don't have any enthusiasm for model making at the moment; all of my mojo is for my other hobbies currently, so that's where I am investing my time. I keep saying to myself that I "must do some more of the cakebox challenge" but it feels more like a chore that I need to complete, in the same way that I keep telling myself "I need to cut back the bushes in the front garden", and I hate gardening. I'll do some more modelling in
  2. It certainly is - one man's rubbish is another man's treasure, as they say. I am not counting any actual railway items as rubbish for this build, nor will I be counting all "found materials". My personal definition of rubbish is that it has to be a non-railway / non-modelling item that would be destined for the bin / recycling if I hadn't used it.
  3. And this is how they have been used: The reject prints have been stuck to the backscene and the card and packing have been used, along with a PVA and kitchen roll papier mache type concoction, to form the base of what I hope will be a retaining wall and bit of rocky hillside. A scrap of craft foam has been stuck to the cardboard and a bit of old track is now resting approximately where it will be stuck. The track is completely wrong really - it's OO code 75 bullhead and it should be flat bottomed but life's too short to worry about such things. Once something is on the rails and it's all balla
  4. I haven't had as much time as I hoped today, nor enough light for any decent photos but I'll share what progress there is. Firstly, some more rubbish: some still foam packing which will be used as the base for a bit of landscaping, some card from a box and some reject prints from when the printer was running out of toner (the print on the right is how the colours should have come out). I had scooped these up with some other prints and kept them by mistake so I thought I should use them.
  5. Of course, I only use it for weighting down things that I am glueing together... honest guv!
  6. Here are a few pictures of the building that will form much of the scene. It's built from odds and sods and already includes an item of rubbish - the cyclone air filter on the left hand side is made from bits of sprue and the end of a defunct ball point pen. I won't include this item as one of my bits of rubbish though as it was started before the challenge was announced. The three main sections still need sicking together and it needs barge boards and signage, amongst other things, to finish it off.
  7. Well the threatened new module has still not materialised, but seeing what @Keith Addenbrooke has been doing in the latest Cakebox Challenge inspired me to have a go myself and to finish off the building I stated and use it as part of my own entry - we'll see how I get on.
  8. Keith, your build has inspired me to have a go at the challenge myself .
  9. The reason for the base being slightly undersize is to allow for some mountboard to facilitate a backscene on two sides and to neaten the edges and hide the corrugations on the other two sides. The two narrower strips will be painted eventually.
  10. I recently bought a new chair in an attempt to save my back from this working from home thing. I thought the box would do for the base, so I cut a couple of pieces slightly under 8 X 8 inches square (there is a reason for this) and laminated them with the corrugations at 90 degrees to each other. The result seems fairly strong and it will be covered with a thin layer of craft foam to help protect it from sogginess when it comes to scenery later.
  11. OK, well after a bit of mithering and procrastination I have decided to throw my hat into the ring for the latest January 2021 Cakebox Challenge. My get-up-and-go, modelling-wise, had got up and gone and I thought this maybe a way of getting my mojo back. Also, I had started a few months ago on a building that I didn’t have an immediate use for. I simply don’t have the time or the storage space at the moment for the extension module for my micro layout that I was considering and so I thought maybe I could finish it and use it as part of this challenge, with a view to using it on the extension
  12. I had the same problem when using foamboard for background flats. I found that sticking a piece of paper or thin card with PVA to the rear of the foamboard section before applying cladding to the front helped to prevent this, as then (I am guessing) the PVA caused the paper covering on both sides of the foamboard to shrink equally. For the warping I encountered prior to trying this technique, I was able to remedy most of it after the fact by gently bending it flat by hand, sticking the paper on the rear and then using weights to keep things flat while the PVA dried. This could onl
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.